Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I don't have GMD, just the core book. I think GMD's still a backer-only thing, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
It is, yes. Not sure when it's release schedule is.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Chipping in to say I'd love to see more Chuubo's games goin' on around here. Chuubo's has so many different options open to it! I may or may not want to play in that Glass-maker's Dragon game, but I'll certainly be watching it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Do you have to play as one of the official main characters (Chuubo, Leonardo de Montreal etc.) in GMC or do player-made characters work as well?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I believe there's an option for Player Made characters, but they start on a mundane arc instead of a miraculous one?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Adding my name to the list of those interested in a Chuubo's IRC. I don't have GMD though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you have to play as one of the official main characters (Chuubo, Leonardo de Montreal etc.) in GMC or do player-made characters work as well?

There are eight pregenerated options and a roll-your-own option, which is definitely the "consciously low-powered option" but gets the coolest story out of all nine sets, the Drowning Arc.

Meanwhile, I'm in #thenetbreedsdreams on SorceryNet to talk wishing turkey.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Mind, the mains are some of the best pregens I've ever seen. Fairly interesting characters in their own right with interesting stories, and with options to customize them. They're pretty cool.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'd love to play in a Glass-Maker's Dragon game. I was almost in one once but it fell apart, and I was unable to achieve my destiny as Rinley Yatskaya. :smith:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

There are eight pregenerated options and a roll-your-own option, which is definitely the "consciously low-powered option" but gets the coolest story out of all nine sets, the Drowning Arc.

Meanwhile, I'm in #thenetbreedsdreams on SorceryNet to talk wishing turkey.

why not synirc with the rest of the TG channels? :ohdear:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

spectralent posted:

I don't have GMD, just the core book. I think GMD's still a backer-only thing, isn't it?

It was backer only, but I think some of the character playbooks are publicly available.

Much as I'd like to join, I've already played Chuubo pbps elsewhere so it's probably best to make room for fresh meat.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Wow. I forgot how dark GMD gets..

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Always did want to give Chuubo a try. I'm also in euro timezone, though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Megazver posted:

Always did want to give Chuubo a try. I'm also in euro timezone, though.

There's some Euro folks in Rand's game based on the IRC last night, although mostly students who have leeway for staying up late or playing on weekdays.

My current plan is to eavesdrop Rand's game (assuming that's ok) and then try to play/HG a game in Euro time when work has died down.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Since it got drowned in the Gamechat, Jenna's posting a new arc, Gatekeeper, on tumblr. Second post should be up later today.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

To keep this thread clean, I made a new thread for my game here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Backers at the Dedicated Friend level should now be receiving beta PDF copies of Fortitude.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Rand Brittain posted:

Backers at the Dedicated Friend level should now be receiving beta PDF copies of Fortitude.

I am disappointed, because I checked and it turns out that's a higher level than I backed.

But on the bright side, my print copy arrived! I... don't love the paper? I feel kind of bad for saying that, since POD was absolutely the right way to get the book out the door, and we're lucky to have print copies being sent at all, and maybe it's just a reason for me to use that coupon for the at-cost premium edition.

But it did serve as an excuse for me to order print copies of all the cards, and the at-cost print copies of the Techno Player's Guide and Halloween Special (both of which I've already read in PDF). The cards are kind of pricey: ouch, but also yay.

Out of curiosity, any update on the Legendary 76+? I, uh, may have some personal interest in that supplement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

Out of curiosity, any update on the Legendary 76+? I, uh, may have some personal interest in that supplement.

It's ready for layout; I think we're just waiting to see what layout resources we have available since it merits better than "Jenna lays it out in her spare time" if we can manage it.

In other news, we've sent in the last batch of corrections and a list of page XX references (topical!) to layout, so it shouldn't be too long until Fortitude backer PDFs start going out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://jennamoran.tumblr.com/post/129442808513/microbloggers-of-the-lost-island

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And the Fortitude backer PDFs (minus the cover) are out!

You can buy Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How well would this title run Exalted?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Quests would probably be a pretty fun replacement for Exalted's crafting and other abstract project management mechanics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I feel that either Epic or Adventure Fantasy would probably cover Exalted and do it in a way that's a lot more fun than Ex3 in general, not just crafting. I don't know, just my feelings.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Covok posted:

How well would this title run Exalted?

In Epic Fantasy? Probably better than Exalted, though it's not the best system for fights.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Yeah. It cares about almost entirely different things than the Exalted ruleset does. Exalted is very concerned with moment to moment conflicts and how, exactly, individual moments happen, while Chuubo simplifies that quite a big and mostly focuses on managing story arcs and subplots and theme.

If you were an absolute maniac, you could maybe even run it on top of Exalted, using Chuubo to handle the direction of the game, and using Exalted to handle task resolution, but it would be an awful lot to pay attention to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think you could do some kinds of Exalted stories in Chuubo. I've definitely given it some consideration myself. The main thing is that Chuubo is structured around your character's emotional life and their growth as a person and all the Epic Fantasy or Adventure Fantasy builds itself around that. It's not really a gamist kung-fu simulator, although there's a more detailed combat system on Jenna's Patreon blog (which is really more of a system for telling stories about cool fights than emulating them).

I thought about using Chuubo-style crafting in Exalted myself way back in the day! I think something like that is possible, but it's going to be way slower than the existing system. I think it could wind up being suitable for a major, legendary project, but if you try to do every two-dot artifact that way you're going to get way less made than the standard system allows. Like, way, way less.

If you want to make a weapon for a fellow PC to wield though, you could do that as a quest, with Bonus XP conditions like "get into trouble looking for rare materials" and major goals like "after much discussion, finally decide on a really awesome name."

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I think CMWGE would be good for running Exalted by way of Shin Sekai Yori. (That is, an epic story of demi-gods that focuses on character arcs and how the PCs develop as people in the midst of slavery, exploitation and post apocalyptic survival amidst super powerful demigods and beastmen armies.) What it won't do very well is Exalted by way of Dynasty Warriors or DBZ (CMWGE isn't generally very good for blow-by-blow running of spectacular combats with an emphasis on specific moves or tactics.)

A craft system modeled on CMWGE would be interesting, but as said will, if anything, make crafters less prolific in what they produce. However it will mean that advancement of projects is tied to general behaviour in-game though rather then anything specific that gets done in downtime so it might be good for making a zero-downtime variant of the rules.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm not really interested in having this Exalted game be dynasty warriors. I'd be more interested in it being like the Iliad or the Odyssey. Those kind of epic, ancient poems. I mean it's supposed to be Greek Mythology meets Wuxia with an anime aesthetic, no?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, who even knows? Exalted might've had a clear aesthetic at some point but it can ricochet between dragonball Z and odyssey pretty much at random. And different people like different bits of that, too, so it's not even consistent what people like about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

Man, who even knows? Exalted might've had a clear aesthetic at some point but it can ricochet between dragonball Z and odyssey pretty much at random. And different people like different bits of that, too, so it's not even consistent what people like about it.

I've noticed that quite a bit. My friend is mad the current edition isn't focusing on the sillier, late 2E elements that got him into the setting. That's why I'm kind of narrowing in and defining what I like so everyone would be on the same page. But, meh, maybe this is a round peg into a square hole.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I think Chuubo would work well for what you want, though, as long as you're willing to handle the conflicts narratively (or pull in some other system to handle them). Like, if you're comfortable with not rolling dice to see if the Cyclops really thinks your name is 'No One', then Chuubo is probably what you want, though you're probably going to have to make up or modify a fair number of quests.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Doc Aquatic posted:

I think Chuubo would work well for what you want, though, as long as you're willing to handle the conflicts narratively (or pull in some other system to handle them). Like, if you're comfortable with not rolling dice to see if the Cyclops really thinks your name is 'No One', then Chuubo is probably what you want, though you're probably going to have to make up or modify a fair number of quests.

I took that as a given since there isn't too many sample quests anyway, unless I'm mistaken. If there are a bunch of sample quests, that would be awesome to know, but I remember the book not having too many.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Chuubo's is basically built for narrative arcs, so yeah, it'll definitely run those. Honestly it'd probably run wacky DBZ shenanigans too so long as you didn't want the blow-by-blow represented in mechanics! It'll definitely run Iliad.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Covok posted:

I took that as a given since there isn't too many sample quests anyway, unless I'm mistaken. If there are a bunch of sample quests, that would be awesome to know, but I remember the book not having too many.

There's more in Glass Maker's Dragon and Fortitude, by the docks of big lake.

Of course, those are all pastoral.
Where/how are you running this?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Doc Aquatic posted:

Oh come on now, Odysseus has to have at least 3 points in Cunning. (I like to think that mythological heroes have abilities that cover a lot of ground, since they can accomplish a variety of stuff in myth.

...mmm. What sort of Arcs was Odysseus in, do you think?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neopie posted:

There's more in Glass Maker's Dragon and Fortitude, by the docks of big lake.

Of course, those are all pastoral.
Where/how are you running this?

Play by post on SA was the idea. I don't think any of my IRL group would be cool with Chuubos, unfortunately.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How many quests should a game need at the start?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Covok posted:

How many quests should a game need at the start?

GMD gives a character 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

GMD gives a character 3.

So I need enough for every player to get 3 and still have options. So, like 25?

• Locked thread