Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Covok posted:

So I need enough for every player to get 3 and still have options. So, like 25?

Oh, man, no; work with your players, ask them what they want to be doing and write it with them. Ideally you get to a point where your players write their own quests; it's the total opposite of the Promethean "GM writes personal quests they hope the PC will like" structure, it's about players giving you the list of cool stuff they want to see and be involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

spectralent posted:

Oh, man, no; work with your players, ask them what they want to be doing and write it with them. Ideally you get to a point where your players write their own quests; it's the total opposite of the Promethean "GM writes personal quests they hope the PC will like" structure, it's about players giving you the list of cool stuff they want to see and be involved in.

Oh, thank God. That makes my job a lot, lot easier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thinking about it, for a game of Exigents, it might more sense to do Adventure Fantasy, maybe. Like, they're Exalted, but they are much weaker than even Dragon-Blooded. They are made from little gods and can vary greatly in power. Like, if they ran into things of Solar level affair or even Dragon-Blooded affair, they could do the (Being In) Trouble action.

So, to anyone interested, likely going to be Adventure Fantasy. Will likely post up the recruitment thread soon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Being powerful doesn't stop you from needing to take the (be in) Trouble Action, but you're probably right that it's the best choice for Exalted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Being powerful doesn't stop you from needing to take the (be in) Trouble Action, but you're probably right that it's the best choice for Exalted.

Yeah, more I think about it, Epic Fantasy is more like Nobilis than Exalted.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, more I think about it, Epic Fantasy is more like Nobilis than Exalted.

Note that Trouble actions are the only real difference between the two genres, and also that characters on Frantic arcs have access to Trouble whenever they want it, anyway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I should mention I went through with the idea for any of you who may be interested.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

A question has come up in the game that Covok is hosting, and I thought I'd ask here.

It says on the manual that you are supposed to start off a Miraculous character with two Perks. Problem is, Perks seem to cover basically everything from Tricks to Superior Skills to Magical ones. How do you establish what is acceptable and what isn't? Is it just HG fiat?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

paradoxGentleman posted:

A question has come up in the game that Covok is hosting, and I thought I'd ask here.

It says on the manual that you are supposed to start off a Miraculous character with two Perks. Problem is, Perks seem to cover basically everything from Tricks to Superior Skills to Magical ones. How do you establish what is acceptable and what isn't? Is it just HG fiat?

HG and player fiat working together, really. IIRC the assumption is that you've already completed two arcs - you can always look at the suggested rewards for those arcs in the corebook and pick one that seems appropriate.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Uh. We are playing as Arc 0 characters, so I guess we should not have access to those Perks then?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
On p59 Moran talks about even mortal characters potentially starting with up to 8 perks. I really think it's up to the players and HG to work it out.

So Covok--are characters starting with two free Perks, none at all, or what? :)

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I'd like at least one, since Keeper of Gardens doesn't work without the It's Like A Home To Me perk.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Just pick some that sound nice, yeah.

(Even the characters in GMD start with a few Perks to taste, like Chuubo's Ordinary.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Chuubo corebook is on sale today at DriveThru for $9.99 if you've been thinking about picking it up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i still want to play this someday i just don't see it happening any time soon

somebody made a post a while back about fitting conan (the barbarian) into a pastoral game once and i can't find it anywhere, any idea where it is?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This week, I got back the full draft layout of Glass-Maker's Dragon, so progress is happening.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tollymain posted:

i still want to play this someday i just don't see it happening any time soon

somebody made a post a while back about fitting conan (the barbarian) into a pastoral game once and i can't find it anywhere, any idea where it is?

This one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post446410858

It was a good post.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, how do you know if you succeeded or failed at something?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

So, how do you know if you succeeded or failed at something?

You're entitled to whatever your Intention level gets you. Beyond that, it's essentially up the the HG to determine in terms of how difficult the task is. So, a level 1 Intention is basically just "you definitely did something and not nothing" which is still probably enough to like, open a door that isn't locked, or make an okay sandwich.

Level 2 lets you please yourself, so you can make a sandwich you think is good.

Level 3 lets you know that you're going to make the sandwich "correctly" for some version of "correct."

Level 4 will make your sandwich-making "effective" so that you can be sure that it will somehow advance your immediate goals.

Level 5 guarantees you "productive" sandwich-making that will somehow make your life better. Maybe your boss or a handsome co-worker is impressed by your kitchen skills?

Levels 6-8 are all basically the same as the last three, but let you do really correct/effective/productive things.

Level 9 guarantees that you've done "the right thing" for some version of "right."

You'll note that none of these guarantees actually include success as such, so essentially success and failure are arbitrary. What really counts, and what the action system measures, is how helpful your action winds up being in the short/long run.

...or you could do the task as a quest, in which case you probably know whether you're going to succeed/fail/HG-decides from the beginning.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

You're entitled to whatever your Intention level gets you. Beyond that, it's essentially up the the HG to determine in terms of how difficult the task is. So, a level 1 Intention is basically just "you definitely did something and not nothing" which is still probably enough to like, open a door that isn't locked, or make an okay sandwich.

Level 2 lets you please yourself, so you can make a sandwich you think is good.

Level 3 lets you know that you're going to make the sandwich "correctly" for some version of "correct."

Level 4 will make your sandwich-making "effective" so that you can be sure that it will somehow advance your immediate goals.

Level 5 guarantees you "productive" sandwich-making that will somehow make your life better. Maybe your boss or a handsome co-worker is impressed by your kitchen skills?

Levels 6-8 are all basically the same as the last three, but let you do really correct/effective/productive things.

Level 9 guarantees that you've done "the right thing" for some version of "right."

You'll note that none of these guarantees actually include success as such, so essentially success and failure are arbitrary. What really counts, and what the action system measures, is how helpful your action winds up being in the short/long run.

...or you could do the task as a quest, in which case you probably know whether you're going to succeed/fail/HG-decides from the beginning.

What page is that on? I was looking at intentions, but couldn't find things on levels.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, can anyone describe how the premium version of Chuubo's physical book differs from the normal hardback?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

What page is that on? I was looking at intentions, but couldn't find things on levels.

It's on page 65. Whoops, it looks like I mixed up levels 1 and 2.

Covok posted:

Also, can anyone describe how the premium version of Chuubo's physical book differs from the normal hardback?

The paper is thicker and a higher quality, and consequently the book is much bigger. It's otherwise identical.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's on page 65. Whoops, it looks like I mixed up levels 1 and 2.

The paper is thicker and a higher quality, and consequently the book is much bigger. It's otherwise identical.

Oh, I get it now: it was under actions, not intentions. I guess that makes sense.

Also, I'm torn on getting the normal or the premium. Is the premium really worth it for the paper quality increase?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Oh, I get it now: it was under actions, not intentions. I guess that makes sense.

Also, I'm torn on getting the normal or the premium. Is the premium really worth it for the paper quality increase?

It's notably nicer, although it's ungodly huge and you may want to go with standard if you have poor arm strength.

(Jenna's profit is the same either way.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

How do NPCs work? How are they made, if they are?

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
NPCs work because we believe in the idea that they work :v:

Seriously, though, NPCs don't really have stats or quests or miraculous powers or anything PCs do. Like, they can act like they do, and it's useful to go 'Oh, you're having to deal with this power', but there's no formalized system for statting them out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I think it's written somewhere in the manual that you can treat NPCs as either Obstacles or use the Contest rules; and yet if you check the wiki you find plenty of NPCs completely statted out, including, if I remember correctly, the School Student Council.

Since we are asking questions, here are mine: in the Arc descriptions it says that an Arc can be composed by three Quests, and the fourth and fifth ones are optional in case PC did not get enough XP (or if the conclusion of the Arc does not seem right). But how is an HG supposed to decide how many XPs are needed to advance? And if it's up to them, why specify this in the Arc at all?

There are also a number of...interesting choices about what powers gets which Arc. The arc about becoming a kaiju also includes mood control and an "evil" transformation; the arc about trying and failing to be a better person comes with some horrible event to be unleashed should the character lose all their Divine Health levels. I am not criticizing these choices, they certainly create atmospheric and unique Arcs, but I do not understand them. What made you and Jenna decide which one got what?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 15, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Child of Ash is interesting, but in a slightly different way, because it's actually more like a mythic arc about coming to embody an emotion of some sort that happens to involve you learning how to be a kaiju; the entire thing is about your connection to a theoretical place that you come to embody, which always involves turning into godzilla somehow :v:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My take on Child of the Ash is that someone on that arc (or with those powers? It's been a while and my shaky grasp of the system is now even shakier) is mythic in the sense that they're a foundational aspect of reality. I think the idea is seeded in the rulebook somewhere that if a Child of the Ash goes out into the nowhere and settles down, a world will crystallise around them and that world will honour the same fundamental truths as them.

And that's reflected in the arc powers. It's not so much emotion control as the ability to make the outer world reflect your inner truths: if you're calm, or hopeful, or grim, or magnificent, you can scribble that nature all over the world around you. Likewise the ability to assume kaiju form or 'switch modes' is just the sort of thing that primordial gods tend to do -- they have towering rages, change shape, and so on.

The specific nature of the powers reflects that too. They're mostly Imperial miracles, which means they're not abilities that let you say 'this happens' but more 'this is now the sort of world where that happens' and then you kind of have to trust that people will follow the tendencies of the world they're in.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Since this thread unexpectedly has People talking about Stuff, did anyone have a chance to check out Fortitude, the as-of-yet first big supplement for Chuubo?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Foglet posted:

Since this thread unexpectedly has People talking about Stuff, did anyone have a chance to check out Fortitude, the as-of-yet first big supplement for Chuubo?

It's pretty good! I like the walk throughs for helping you make non-"main" characters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

How do NPCs work? How are they made, if they are?

A lot of the time you're going to handwave (small conflicts) or use a Ritual (important conflicts), but in general they're basically just 8 points of skills.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Since we are asking questions, here are mine: in the Arc descriptions it says that an Arc can be composed by three Quests, and the fourth and fifth ones are optional in case PC did not get enough XP (or if the conclusion of the Arc does not seem right). But how is an HG supposed to decide how many XPs are needed to advance? And if it's up to them, why specify this in the Arc at all?

You pick a number based on how fast you're actually getting XP, so that if your group is moving slowly the level-up target gets set lower.

quote:

There are also a number of...interesting choices about what powers gets which Arc. The arc about becoming a kaiju also includes mood control and an "evil" transformation; the arc about trying and failing to be a better person comes with some horrible event to be unleashed should the character lose all their Divine Health levels. I am not criticizing these choices, they certainly create atmospheric and unique Arcs, but I do not understand them. What made you and Jenna decide which one got what?

I was going to say "I'm not a writer; that's all Jenna" but then I remembered I actually did write one. Some of one. Wow, did that really happen?

Anyway, the Arcs are basically Jenna reaching down into her subconscious, dredging up a bunch of mythic examples, and peeling them apart in search of common elements until she locates a singular thread and makes it into an Arc. I guess I did pretty much the same thing for Knave of Hearts, starting with "let's make Jasmine Apocynum's heart-snatching Arc," eventually adding elements to fit characters I decided were similar like Scott Pilgrim or Princess Kraehe, and then figuring out ways to make the resulting powerset more coherent in itself. Then someone says something like "Oh, or Dr. House!" and then you revise it all again in light of that. And then, again!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Blasphemies make great thematic sense. You work at things, and try. And keep going. Holding everything together by the thinnest of threads. and then you fail when it all becomes too much, when your sins and wounds have built up to be too much- and its you. Its your fault. You took on too much, you need to change, as a person- and then get back up. Heal, and repeat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How useful is the Techno Player's Guide for Chuubo's? What's in it that isn't in the corebook?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The Techno Player's Guide is, as far as I can tell, something that exists because I mentioned to Jenna that I would never get my group to actually read the whole corebook, and it would be nice to have something to give them that had just the rules for a particular genre and level of play.

Covok
May 27, 2013

inklesspen posted:

The Techno Player's Guide is, as far as I can tell, something that exists because I mentioned to Jenna that I would never get my group to actually read the whole corebook, and it would be nice to have something to give them that had just the rules for a particular genre and level of play.

So, it's a restating of the content in the rulebook for Techno Games?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yeah, I think that's it.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Covok posted:

How useful is the Techno Player's Guide for Chuubo's? What's in it that isn't in the corebook?

Some techno-specific examples, mostly, and a bit of extra discussion around 'Shock!'

It's mostly a nice overview of the general mechanics and the Techno Genre in particular cut out from the giant tome of the core and pasted in a nice little handout that you can give to potential players.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It goes into a lot more detail too, which is nice because I think techno is the genre people don't really grok out of the box. I mean, I can see why, "slice of life anime", "fairy tale" and "gothic" and stuff are all things that seem fairly commonplace to understand. Techno is a bit weird as a descriptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

It goes into a lot more detail too, which is nice because I think techno is the genre people don't really grok out of the box. I mean, I can see why, "slice of life anime", "fairy tale" and "gothic" and stuff are all things that seem fairly commonplace to understand. Techno is a bit weird as a descriptor.

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

• Locked thread