Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

So, it's a restating of the content in the rulebook for Techno Games?

It also includes the rules for the Battle Mode ritual, in case you wanted a more detailed or JRPG-derived combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Covok posted:

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

Remember that bit of realism that you can hang on in Adventure Fantasy? My understanding is that that's going straight into the garbage bin in a Techno game.

I have been told that watching an anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena would enlighten me but I never got around to it. In the mean time the best comparison I can make is Adventure Time, maybe especially when Moynihan is at the wheel.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

It's Utena, or Penguindrum, or basically anything where you're likely to stop the orderly flow of action for a psychedelic sequence of footage where you aren't quite sure what happened afterward.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rand Brittain posted:

It also includes the rules for the Battle Mode ritual, in case you wanted a more detailed or JRPG-derived combat system.

That can be worth the price of admission.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Remember that bit of realism that you can hang on in Adventure Fantasy? My understanding is that that's going straight into the garbage bin in a Techno game.

I have been told that watching an anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena would enlighten me but I never got around to it. In the mean time the best comparison I can make is Adventure Time, maybe especially when Moynihan is at the wheel.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's Utena, or Penguindrum, or basically anything where you're likely to stop the orderly flow of action for a psychedelic sequence of footage where you aren't quite sure what happened afterward.

I...still don't follow.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I...still don't follow.

You know that scene in Dumbo with the pink elephants? It's a regular feature of play, it doesn't only happen when someone gets drunk and occasionally the elephants leave their instruments behind.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know that scene in Dumbo with the pink elephants? It's a regular feature of play, it doesn't only happen when someone gets drunk and occasionally the elephants leave their instruments behind.

I thought that was The Road of Trials.

Looking through the core again, it does mention this in Techno as (Reacting to) Transitions, but does go into detail for Breaking From Reality in Road of Trials.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I thought that was The Road of Trials.

Looking through the core again, it does mention this in Techno as (Reacting to) Transitions, but does go into detail for Breaking From Reality in Road of Trials.

...you're right. Since I clearly don't understand the theory behind I'll describe my experience.

We had this scene in a game I'm in, where a PC was accused by someone else of being the reincarnation of the Dream Witch Meramie Mesmer. Everyone started acting like a defendant, accuser or of course the victim, depending on their inclination; we reached "objection to the objection to the objection" towards the end with little difficulty. Even though the game had been a Pastoral experience with a side serving of adventure and personal growth up until that point, for half an hour it was Phoenix Wright's unreleased crossover special.

That was a Ritual. Rituals are very common in Techno games. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Covok
May 27, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

...you're right. Since I clearly don't understand the theory behind I'll describe my experience.

We had this scene in a game I'm in, where a PC was accused by someone else of being the reincarnation of the Dream Witch Meramie Mesmer. Everyone started acting like a defendant, accuser or of course the victim, depending on their inclination; we reached "objection to the objection to the objection" towards the end with little difficulty. Even though the game had been a Pastoral experience with a side serving of adventure and personal growth up until that point, for half an hour it was Phoenix Wright's unreleased crossover special.

That was a Ritual. Rituals are very common in Techno games. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Everytime I think I know how to play this game, I find out I know nothing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Covok posted:

I...still don't follow.

This is Utena and it is very Techno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUOowCUJQo particularly the singing.

Also consider watching Gatchaman C.R.O.W.D.S, it's free on Crunchy Roll.

Basically, Techno is when everything gets as Magical Girl Anime as possible.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

fez_machine posted:

This is Utena and it is very Techno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUOowCUJQo particularly the singing.

That was...certainly a thing I just saw.

So, it's heavily stylized, loose reality, rule of cool style stories?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Covok posted:

That was...certainly a thing I just saw.

So, it's heavily stylized, loose reality, rule of cool style stories?

Yeah, you said it better than I could.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, is there any recorded actual play of Chuubo's yet?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately, it's kind of a "know it when you see it" thing—if you're familiar with the specific kinds of anime Techno references, you'll know exactly how it's supposed to work.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The thing is I kind of am, but didn't really get that techno was referencing that until I read the techno guide.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best premade adventure for Chuubo's? Doing a oneshot on Sunday to makeup for not being able to do BW.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

spectralent posted:

The thing is I kind of am, but didn't really get that techno was referencing that until I read the techno guide.

Yeah, the core book really should have had concrete examples for each of the genres. But it is Jenna's thing to have fuzzy definitions.

From reading a bunch of Jenna's stuff, it looks like Jenna's fundamental philosophy is that having fuzzy definitions empowers the players to play as THEY want to.

To a lesser or greater degree it doesn't matter how you play a Jenna Moran game as long as you're having fun and feel empowered. Most of her games are about giving you to power to say "I AM THIS" or "I DO THIS" and that's what you are and what you do, the rules are there to provide the why and the consequences.

But if you like how Jenna makes games it can be a headache trying to figure out how to play it absolutely RAW.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Covok posted:

What's the best premade adventure for Chuubo's? Doing a oneshot on Sunday to makeup for not being able to do BW.

There's really only a few right now. The Halloween Special is a good 1-4 shot, all the others are a bit longer, as I understand it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I really don't know what to make of Chuubo's or how to play it but man does reading The Glass-Maker's Dragon ever make me want to run that campaign. The pregens are so cool

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Doodmons posted:

I really don't know what to make of Chuubo's or how to play it but man does reading The Glass-Maker's Dragon ever make me want to run that campaign. The pregens are so cool

I have been told this happens to everyone who tries Chuubo. How far did you get before getting confused? Maybe we can help.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I find it is a fairly universal experience, yeah.

As an aside, the Halloween special is both good and, more importantly, short. It's a nice thing to run for a couple of weeks if you want to try and sell people onto it without committing to months and months of gametime.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, the CEO of EOS decided to delete the Kickstarter account used to run the Chuubo KS because getting emails about it made him sad, or something.

If you need further information about our work to fulfil EOS' unmet obligations, Jenna's tumblr is the place to go.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

...Wooooow.

So just, nobody's getting any books now?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

spectralent posted:

...Wooooow.

So just, nobody's getting any books now?

No, we still have the development budget and backer information (EOS took the print budget), and thanks to a generous fan offering to help, everybody's going to get PoD copies who ordered print.

The major difference is that Jenna can no longer send out updates through Kickstarter.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ah, well that's something at least.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A pretty big "something." Having the kickstarter fulfilled is the point, after all, and despite some truly astonishing bad luck on Jenna's part, it actually is getting fulfilled on a pretty reasonable schedule for a project consisting of three enormous art-dense hardbacks and a slew of supplements. Certainly doing better than Exalted :downs:

On a related note, is there any way to get email notifications when a tumblr updates?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I made a guide to the system for my players. It was supposed to be quick and to-the-point, but it got progressively out-of-hand. Might be useful to someone, though, if you want a quick-ish summary of things.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Can you run Chuubo one-shots?

If you have players who are a bit like "I don't really mind what we play.." are they doomed to rack up Hollow?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake is now available in print-on-demand.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, I got a coupon that I decided to spend on buying the Print-On-Demand version of Chuubo's.

Boy, did I not know how big this thing was:

I mean, I should have guessed, but it took me by surprise. I forgot how many pages it was.

FF's Edge of the Empire provided for size reference.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
And books two and three are both about the same size, albeit not required for play; it's a hell of a thing. Not every day you get to see a designer go all-in on a passion project like this, let alone actually deliver.

I realized recently after seeing Stardew Valley 1.1 announced that my secret gaming hope is to one day run Chuubo's Valley, set in the Walking Fields. I can't think of a better system to represent the way Stardew Valley makes me feel, that weird mix of meditative and frantic, with mundane modernity and the fantastic rubbing elbows and nobody batting an eyelash. The Quests that don't already exist in the book practically write themselves.

Hey Rand (or anyone else who has a good feel for this sort of thing), how long do you think it'd take to play through the Halloween Special? Tis the season~

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kestral posted:

And books two and three are both about the same size, albeit not required for play

Books two and three? What are those?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

Books two and three? What are those?

There's Fortitude, basically a book with loads of setting details, extra characters, gifts etc, and Glass-Maker's Dragon, a full campaign that comes with the signature characters you see scattered throughout the core book - Chuubo himself, Jasper Irinka, Principal Entropy etc.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Thing is, most of the book is the sample Arcs and Quests. It isn't scary huge with rules like Hero.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Glass-Maker's Dragon links are now going out to backers.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
And man is it pretty; I think GMD might have my favorite layout of the three, and seeing it in this format brings home just how enormous this campaign is. Also, the Wishing Map is a really clever little mechanic and I need to steal it for something, somewhere, until I get a chance to play through Glass-Maker's Dragon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

And man is it pretty; I think GMD might have my favorite layout of the three, and seeing it in this format brings home just how enormous this campaign is. Also, the Wishing Map is a really clever little mechanic and I need to steal it for something, somewhere, until I get a chance to play through Glass-Maker's Dragon.

Thomas really did an amazing job at making Jenna's box-heavy layout work with minimal whitespace.

I really like the new design for Issue cards. Why did I let the first ones be square? Why???

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Kestral posted:

And books two and three are both about the same size, albeit not required for play; it's a hell of a thing. Not every day you get to see a designer go all-in on a passion project like this, let alone actually deliver.

I realized recently after seeing Stardew Valley 1.1 announced that my secret gaming hope is to one day run Chuubo's Valley, set in the Walking Fields. I can't think of a better system to represent the way Stardew Valley makes me feel, that weird mix of meditative and frantic, with mundane modernity and the fantastic rubbing elbows and nobody batting an eyelash. The Quests that don't already exist in the book practically write themselves.

Hey Rand (or anyone else who has a good feel for this sort of thing), how long do you think it'd take to play through the Halloween Special? Tis the season~

I never put two-and-two together on Stardew Valley but of course it shares so much with Chuubo that they're a perfect match. Brilliant! Just came by to post that Glass Maker's Dragon link was a nice little Christmas surprise for backers but I see other's have news that covered.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I'm in the process of re-reading Chuubo as I make a character for a new game, and it occurs to me how little I know. As I understood it, you started with an advancement arc, and that you could pick up other quests as side-gigs, which provided benefits on completion on par with what you'd expect from having done the thing.

However, reading the chapter on quests, it seems like all quests, not just the main advancement arc, are on arcs. Am I correct to assume that, for instance...

A character finds out that they're the demon queen, and they're on a Knight arc to explore what this means, having done a previous Knight arc. They also become interested in a member of their court, and start the Fascination quest. According to page 104, it sounds like if they finish Fascination, it becomes a new arc trait, so they're now on, say, Knight 1, Storyteller 0.

Is that the case? Do you have multiple arc traits at once, rather than focusing on a single arc? My cursory stroll through the book made me realize that I might not actually know how arcs work after all.

Edit: I found the sidebar on page 388, which talks about having more than one arc (Basically, don't, or only have other arcs for organizational purposes), which makes the text on page 104 somewhat confusing. I think the intention is that only quests on your arc give you rewards, but I don't think that's ever directly stated, just kind of gestured around.

Doc Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You get rewards for a quest even if it's not your Arc quest, based on the appropriate rewards at your current Arc level.

One Arc at a time is pretty much the rule, so in this case Fascination is just going to be a sidequest, although the XP you put towards it does count towards your total to finish the Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Oh, that's interesting. So, for example, if someone is on an arc did the first 35-XP arc quest, then a 35-XP sidequest, would finishing their second on-arc quest finish that arc? Or would Fascination only count because it's more clearly tied to the knight arc (In that she's learning about a member of her court) than, say, a quest about learning to be a chef?

As I understood rewards, they're based on your current position in the arc rather than your arc trait. For instance, even if you're on storyteller 0, if you finish the fourth quest, you pick a reward from that menu. If you're getting a reward from a quest off that arc, would you just pick based on the arc quest you're currently on, or are the quest rewards you're talking about, like, in the context of quest miracles from that section of the book, rather than the arc quest perks?

• Locked thread