Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

It's partly fear of flaking and partly the fact it's a sufficiently difficult game for me that I'd be uncomfortable running/playing with people I only knew from the net.

I have a few rules questions as well, and I guess this is as good a place as any:

- The word "Arc" seems to be reused to mean a whole bunch of things. So, I get that an Arc is a series of Quests with narrative notes that put them in context. Then there's an "Arc Trait", which governs what level of perk and things you've gotten from playing an Arc. But as I understand it, the Arc Trait only goes up by 1 when you complete an entire Arc of that type, not when you are at that stage of the Arc. So you have to play the Arc several times to raise the Arc Trait (not necessarily in order). But then at the back of the book are the "Miraculous Arcs", which are lists of powers you get at different levels.. and therefore presumably not actually Arcs at all but perks you get from a series of Arcs of the associated type? Plus, Arcs are described as giving context to Quests, but you can also get XP for an Arc from doing other things, and it's mentioned this could be 30% of the Arc XP.. Since an Arc is 5 quests, each one would be 20%, so that means a side quest can completely displace one of the contextualized quests on the Arc?

Yep, an Arc can have 1 or 2 diversions mixed into and replacing the Arc quests, as long as it makes sense for them to be there - maybe they started out as side pursuits, but suddenly coaching that kid through a bicycle race is starting to seem more relevant...

And yes, if you're a Knight (Roadside Cookery) 5 that means you've finished 5 entire Knight arcs and logged probably not far off from a thousand XP.

hyphz posted:

- Issues. The early sections imply that Issues are given out as semi-penalties when an XP action is invoked out of context, but the later section says that the HG can give out an Issue whenever an XP action is taken depending the situation. Is it expected/normal that an Issue would be given for any XP action? It seems rather awkward that the player can never know if an action will advance an issue or not.

There's nothing actually penalizing about Issues. They feed you MP passively as they escalate and you can tap them for more MP if you, the player, feel they're getting in the way of something you're trying. If an issue hits level 4 or even 5 you have the opportunity to close it out for XP, possibly with a heavily discounted miracle.

But! If an issue gets worse, especially when it hits, say, level 3, you should know why it's getting worse, or you should sit down with your HG and talk about where they're trying to take you with the issue.

hyphz posted:

- "Adventure GET." This XP action triggers when you're in a threatening situation, but it seems problematic because after doing it, you Fade, so... when is the actual resolution of the threatening situation played out? I can see it's supposed to be a cliffhanger (although it seems a bit weird that every occasion would be a cliffhanger). Also, it seems this allows a character like Rinley to trigger Adventure GET and then in a following scene when she's not the focus, Tall Tales straight out of it again. While I accept that this would be totally in character it seems a bit powerful, any time something threatens her she just cashes it in for XP and then leaves while Faded. Is that right?

Those aren't XP actions, those are quest flavor, chapter XP bonuses.

XP actions are the ten or twelve core drivers: Suffer Corruption, Shared Reaction, Ritual, Discovery, etc. You basically say "this was my important scene where I" + XP action name, and then you pass the focus to someone else. You can work your quest flavor into your XP actions for the chapter, or you can pick it up as a background character in someone else's scene.

I mean, heck, if you've got a mad genius their Obsessive XP Action could blast you skyward on a fountain of trouble and then you'd mark quest flavor and be ready to do your own XP Action in response.

Crucially, you do not immediately get XP from XP actions the way you do from quest flavor. It feeds into a pool and gets distributed among the players, which will generally amount to 2 XP per chapter but could be more if things get intense.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Adventure Get isn't an XP action? I thought it was listed in one of the play style lists.

Nope, Adventure GET! is a quest.

Quests and XP Actions do share some of the same iconography, though, so I can understand how it might be confusing.

hyphz posted:

There's another one that bothered me a bit, although this might be a bit meta:
- The world has the region property "turning into a giant snake does not help."
- Say someone turns into a giant snake and gets into trouble.
- Because a region property has caused them trouble, it behaves like a level 2 bond, and so they can get 2 MP.
- After they turn back, they can benefit from the 2 MP.
- So it did help.
Is that intended?

Yes, actually! The region property encourages you to turn into a giant snake, and then find that it did not help.

You really have to kind of build a wall in your mind separating you as the player from you as the character when you're looking at the Chuubo's rules. Because, I mean, let's be clear here, this is a game where your character can follow the advice of some one they really shouldn't trust and run into whatever the Titovs are keeping under the shrine, and then fall into bleak despair as part of their soul is shaved off or an arm goes missing or something, and then the player will reach over and high five the HG because that's Trust 5 resolved AND Otherworldly 3 in the bin, let's keep this boon train rolling!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

For reference, genre conventions operate as Afflictions, not Bonds, so they tend to be in the hands of the HG rather than the player.

Genre conventions that apply to places are Region Properties, and they operate as Bonds (p. 116).

Genre conventions that apply to characters are probably Afflictions and are generally in the hands of the HG, though the player can speak up about Auctoritas if it might come up.

So a bar in a wretched hive of scum and villainy has the Region Property "Conversations are never truly private." and anyone in that place can use that Region Property as though it were a level 2 Bond.

But, let's say, Ichiro Taro, star of well-known light novel "My Harem Is Slowly Collapsing, But It's Just My Imagination, Isn't It?" has an Affliction tied to his Emptiness (The Widening Gyre) Arc, "My harem always knows where to find me." and that's largely in the hands of the HG to put the harem in impossible places, but if, say, Principal Entropy II puts ichiro in Double-Secret Detention II and uses a miracle to seal the door against scrying and intrusion, the Auctoritas of that Affliction opposes what the principal is doing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

The rule in question, "turning into a giant snake never helps," is a Convention, which operates as an Affliction on the entire world, but that particular rule only appears in The Glass-Maker's Dragon, which is where the giant snake rule comes from.

Oh, whoop. Yeah, sorry about that.

Well, getting Will/MP from a Bond is up to the HG's discretion too, so the example does still hold. The Convention is not "people cannot turn into giant snakes" so it's not actually harder to turn into one, you're just explicitly inviting the HG to make things spiral out of control when you're a giant snake.

It also opens up some interesting possibilities - if you've got at least Bond 2 with someone and you have to help them out, or if you're acting in support of a Region Property ("Students must experience exactly three events between classes. Submitted for your approval, event three: Giant Snake Express Train") you can be a helpful giant snake at no additional cost.

• Locked thread