Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Just started looking through my kickstarter copy and wow, the formatting and art really makes a huge difference to how it looked back during the playtest. I also really appreciate the streamlining that's been done to arcs and actions - while the playtest was definitely really fun it often felt like post-hoc struggling to fit scenes into very narrow boxes, and it looks a lot more natural now. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

e: Also, the Fading rules are a really neat way of handling spotlight time and character balance in a system where actions get you XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Mile'ionaha posted:

Say, how well would this game work in, say, chat-RP or various fandom RPs? I've often asserted that you could sell a million copies of an RPG book if only you could prove that it would add something to, like, Livejournal games. There are hundreds of thousands of roleplayers who don't think of themselves as 'RPG' people because they don't use a system or dice to write their collaborative fiction.

I can certainly say Chuubo's works very well in an online format - potentially better than tabletop, as it'd be easier to express emoting or claiming XP actions in a way that doesn't break immersion (say, having set text colours for certain emotions). I'd guess the main benefit the Chuubo system has is offering a way of tracking character development and goal progress in a simple and immersive, and while it might not be a big deal to most RPers I could see some enjoying the structure it gives the game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

We started our game of this last night and it seems pretty fun so far? The biggest obstacle I think was digesting the huge character play books and working out that there wasn't actually all that much that you needed to know - most of the writing is examples or in-depth explanations or inspiration if you get stuck. We had a pretty easy-going first session, with Jade Irinka and Shoukyu cleaning the Yatskaya shrine, fetching tea from Miramie's new shop, finding out tea deliveries are going missing, running into Leonardo de Montreal and accidentally inspiring him to make shops sentient, and eventually finding out the missing tea was due to the harbourmaster being ~mysteriously hypnotised~ by Outside dust leaving the harbour to fall into chaos.

The system was pretty simple to get a hold of and it was great to have quests there to tell you what your objectives should be or what fun things you could do to advance your plot. We didn't use Issues at all and I'm a little worried they'll complicate things a lot but I'm looking forward to trying them out!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Just using the premade ones - we're working through the Glass-Maker's Dragon campaign and using the quests in that. It seems on the face of it that it shouldn't be too hard to make your own quests though; just eyeball how much XP it'll take, think up a few one-off xp conditions and some more ongoing ones, and work out what perks you get for finishing it. It looks like there are enough quests in the main book to give lots of inspiration for this, though if we do run into difficulties I'll let you know.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Had a second session last night - game is still fun. Got a few new quests like learning the Cat-Speaker's family magic and joining School's golf club despite haunting premonitions of death at the hands of a laser-guided golfing robot, and started playing around with Issues. I think we're getting more comfortable with the skill system though we haven't done much with miracles yet.

One of the most interesting things about this game so far is that it centres the play experience around experiencing life in Fortitude rather than pursuing objectives. Sure, you do have goals from your quests, but the main way you get the XP to fulfill the quests is to bond with npcs or other players as they go about their lives or remark on the world around them. Really you could reduce the game down to just the quests and XP actions and I think it would still work really well - skills and miracles are still great but they're not the core mechanic they appear to be.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure they advance using the same conditions for you picking them up to begin with; you do an out of genre or particularly meaningful XP reaction and the GM recognises it and bumps you up the issue track. Of course once you have an issue people are going to be on the lookout for advancing that specific issue, so you're more likely to advance that one rather than pick up any others.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

And on that note, a quick question for Jenna (if she's not too busy) or anybody familiar with DTRPG's POD options: Do the standard and premium color hardcovers differ in their binding? In particular, are they both perfect bound, or is one (or both) sewn? If standard is perfect bound and premium is sewn, that makes premium an instant buy for me (though that seems highly unlikely). If they are both perfect bound, then I'll need to think about it a bit more.

As far as I know DriveThruRPG only offers perfect bound, so that's what they'll be.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

hyphz posted:

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard about any real-time games, come to think of it. The action system tends to encourage writing paragraphs at a time, from what I've seen..

I'm in a real-time, meatspace game! It's a lot more relaxed than other games, certainly, though last session we decided to switch from Pastoral to Epic Fantasy so things might speed up a little.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

A question has come up in the game that Covok is hosting, and I thought I'd ask here.

It says on the manual that you are supposed to start off a Miraculous character with two Perks. Problem is, Perks seem to cover basically everything from Tricks to Superior Skills to Magical ones. How do you establish what is acceptable and what isn't? Is it just HG fiat?

HG and player fiat working together, really. IIRC the assumption is that you've already completed two arcs - you can always look at the suggested rewards for those arcs in the corebook and pick one that seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

Books two and three? What are those?

There's Fortitude, basically a book with loads of setting details, extra characters, gifts etc, and Glass-Maker's Dragon, a full campaign that comes with the signature characters you see scattered throughout the core book - Chuubo himself, Jasper Irinka, Principal Entropy etc.

• Locked thread