Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tollymain posted:

i still want to play this someday i just don't see it happening any time soon

somebody made a post a while back about fitting conan (the barbarian) into a pastoral game once and i can't find it anywhere, any idea where it is?

This one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541519&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post446410858

It was a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My take on Child of the Ash is that someone on that arc (or with those powers? It's been a while and my shaky grasp of the system is now even shakier) is mythic in the sense that they're a foundational aspect of reality. I think the idea is seeded in the rulebook somewhere that if a Child of the Ash goes out into the nowhere and settles down, a world will crystallise around them and that world will honour the same fundamental truths as them.

And that's reflected in the arc powers. It's not so much emotion control as the ability to make the outer world reflect your inner truths: if you're calm, or hopeful, or grim, or magnificent, you can scribble that nature all over the world around you. Likewise the ability to assume kaiju form or 'switch modes' is just the sort of thing that primordial gods tend to do -- they have towering rages, change shape, and so on.

The specific nature of the powers reflects that too. They're mostly Imperial miracles, which means they're not abilities that let you say 'this happens' but more 'this is now the sort of world where that happens' and then you kind of have to trust that people will follow the tendencies of the world they're in.

• Locked thread