Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mile'ionaha posted:

Say, how well would this game work in, say, chat-RP or various fandom RPs? I've often asserted that you could sell a million copies of an RPG book if only you could prove that it would add something to, like, Livejournal games. There are hundreds of thousands of roleplayers who don't think of themselves as 'RPG' people because they don't use a system or dice to write their collaborative fiction.

As someone who's had some experience with the Livejournal RP community I can offer some commentary on this. If I was to run a game like that, I'd probably use the Mundane rather than Miracle rules and maybe streamline it a little on top of that. Also, it would have to be run with minimal GM involvement but that isn't necessarily a problem given how Chuubo can easily be driven more by the PCs than the GM--I know there were a number of scenes with the GM not doing much of anything but speculating in the one Chuubo game I played in. And a Livejournal (or rather Dreamwidth as most of the community's moved there) game would have tens to hundreds of PCs so there wouldn't be a shortage of characters to interact with.

My main worry is the bookkeeping involved. Every single additional thing to keep track of is more work, and the people running those games already have a lot on their platter even with the freeform format. Did I mention the tens to hundreds of PCs? (Though there're fewer players than that as every player will have anywhere from one to five PCs in a given game.) I've been in at least one game that started with a currency system but abandoned it because it was too much bookkeeping with the number of PCs involved.

That said, it would be an interesting experiment at least. And I know some of those LJ/DW games have more complicated mechanisms than others.

EDIT: Or to put it another way, the kind of game I'm speaking of has more in common with large LARP gatherings than tabletop play. As such, adaptations would have to be made.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Mind, the mains are some of the best pregens I've ever seen. Fairly interesting characters in their own right with interesting stories, and with options to customize them. They're pretty cool.

• Locked thread