Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I somehow missed that the epub was out until now,. It looks really nice Rand, kudos. I skimmed the beta when it was released with the KS but now I'm reading ti more thoroughly and really like what I see. I'm kind of curious for the people who have run it, have you mostly been starting off miraculous or non miraculous? It seems like depending on the genre it shouldn't make that much of a difference, the ability to turn into a giant snake doesn't help you ask that special someone to the dance after all.

On an unrelated note for some reason I am kind of tempted to take the rules and throw them into a D&D setting just to see what the players end up doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I finished the book and had a couple questions. First with genre, is the intention that you will switch this around during play? For instance let's say we are playing an Epic Fantasy game, and after fighting a riding of Excrucians the characters go to Little Island for a well earned vacation for a week. Would we just switch the genre to pastoral for a week?
The second question is background wise. I only have Nobilis 2nd edition so I'm not sure hwo much has changed but is the intention that Nobilis is canon in Chuubos? Like, is Ananda still the Imperator of the age to come, and was Lord Entropy still cursed that everything he was directly involved with (like the school before his death) would become corrupt?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Keep in mind this is coming from the perspective of someone who liked Nobilis and Chuubo's. Chuubo's is a bit more down to earth, and more directed. It is more obvious what, in general, your characters are going to do. Whereas in Nobilis it can kind of be "OK, I'm the power of Wasps, now what do I do?" in Chuubo's you have your Quests picked out, which are essentially what you want to accomplish like Avenge your Fathers Death or Open up the Best Tea Shop in Town. The writing style is still similar I think, but overall clearer.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I recently started reading On Such a Full Sea, a novel set in a future post apocalyptic and Chinese colonized America, and it oddly reminds me of Chuubos. Which in turn makes me realize that Chuubo's is post-apocalyptic even if it doesn't have a lot of the things I would normally associate with a post-apocalyptic setting; especially given how pleasant Fortitude is. I think you could do some interesting things with that.

Count me in as interested in a potential Chuubos game as well, I might be able to HG as well but I wouldn't be able to promise daily updates or anything.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Rand Brittain posted:

At some point I considered doing more word-of-mouth advertising about "extremely pleasant post-apocalyptic slice of life" but I was convinced that this might lead to misconceptions.

I think especially with Immersive Fantasy you could do a lot with it. The book makes refference to the internet still existing, just mostly vanished but you could do the same with TV for isntance. You get a pair of rabbit ears and you can get the news from 5 years ago (or 5 years from now), PPV boxing, teletubbies, etc. Town wouldn't have much of a manufacturing base either, and if trade with the outside is rare you could have a nice hodgepodge of modern and ancient technologies along with jerry-rigged solutions.
For some reason speaking of the internet I also like the idea that within Town there is an active BBS community.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ibntumart posted:

Did anyone ever start another Chuubo game? I finally bought the epub and would like to see it in action.

I don't think so.
What kind of game would people be interested in. I think the Immersive Fantasy/Adventure Fantasy/ and Pastoral genres seem to be the most interesting, with quests that push the other way. So a pastoral game with adventurey quests or an adventure fantasy game where you have a quest to build a house or run a teashop.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I've started a PBP recruitment Here if anyone is interested. It's for a game set in Principal Entropy's School in Horizon if anayone is in the mood for experimenting with things man was not meant to know and then monologuing about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Adding my name to the list of those interested in a Chuubo's IRC. I don't have GMD though.

• Locked thread