Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just pick some that sound nice, yeah.

(Even the characters in GMD start with a few Perks to taste, like Chuubo's Ordinary.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Chuubo corebook is on sale today at DriveThru for $9.99 if you've been thinking about picking it up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This week, I got back the full draft layout of Glass-Maker's Dragon, so progress is happening.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

So, how do you know if you succeeded or failed at something?

You're entitled to whatever your Intention level gets you. Beyond that, it's essentially up the the HG to determine in terms of how difficult the task is. So, a level 1 Intention is basically just "you definitely did something and not nothing" which is still probably enough to like, open a door that isn't locked, or make an okay sandwich.

Level 2 lets you please yourself, so you can make a sandwich you think is good.

Level 3 lets you know that you're going to make the sandwich "correctly" for some version of "correct."

Level 4 will make your sandwich-making "effective" so that you can be sure that it will somehow advance your immediate goals.

Level 5 guarantees you "productive" sandwich-making that will somehow make your life better. Maybe your boss or a handsome co-worker is impressed by your kitchen skills?

Levels 6-8 are all basically the same as the last three, but let you do really correct/effective/productive things.

Level 9 guarantees that you've done "the right thing" for some version of "right."

You'll note that none of these guarantees actually include success as such, so essentially success and failure are arbitrary. What really counts, and what the action system measures, is how helpful your action winds up being in the short/long run.

...or you could do the task as a quest, in which case you probably know whether you're going to succeed/fail/HG-decides from the beginning.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

What page is that on? I was looking at intentions, but couldn't find things on levels.

It's on page 65. Whoops, it looks like I mixed up levels 1 and 2.

Covok posted:

Also, can anyone describe how the premium version of Chuubo's physical book differs from the normal hardback?

The paper is thicker and a higher quality, and consequently the book is much bigger. It's otherwise identical.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Oh, I get it now: it was under actions, not intentions. I guess that makes sense.

Also, I'm torn on getting the normal or the premium. Is the premium really worth it for the paper quality increase?

It's notably nicer, although it's ungodly huge and you may want to go with standard if you have poor arm strength.

(Jenna's profit is the same either way.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

How do NPCs work? How are they made, if they are?

A lot of the time you're going to handwave (small conflicts) or use a Ritual (important conflicts), but in general they're basically just 8 points of skills.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Since we are asking questions, here are mine: in the Arc descriptions it says that an Arc can be composed by three Quests, and the fourth and fifth ones are optional in case PC did not get enough XP (or if the conclusion of the Arc does not seem right). But how is an HG supposed to decide how many XPs are needed to advance? And if it's up to them, why specify this in the Arc at all?

You pick a number based on how fast you're actually getting XP, so that if your group is moving slowly the level-up target gets set lower.

quote:

There are also a number of...interesting choices about what powers gets which Arc. The arc about becoming a kaiju also includes mood control and an "evil" transformation; the arc about trying and failing to be a better person comes with some horrible event to be unleashed should the character lose all their Divine Health levels. I am not criticizing these choices, they certainly create atmospheric and unique Arcs, but I do not understand them. What made you and Jenna decide which one got what?

I was going to say "I'm not a writer; that's all Jenna" but then I remembered I actually did write one. Some of one. Wow, did that really happen?

Anyway, the Arcs are basically Jenna reaching down into her subconscious, dredging up a bunch of mythic examples, and peeling them apart in search of common elements until she locates a singular thread and makes it into an Arc. I guess I did pretty much the same thing for Knave of Hearts, starting with "let's make Jasmine Apocynum's heart-snatching Arc," eventually adding elements to fit characters I decided were similar like Scott Pilgrim or Princess Kraehe, and then figuring out ways to make the resulting powerset more coherent in itself. Then someone says something like "Oh, or Dr. House!" and then you revise it all again in light of that. And then, again!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

So, it's a restating of the content in the rulebook for Techno Games?

It also includes the rules for the Battle Mode ritual, in case you wanted a more detailed or JRPG-derived combat system.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

It's Utena, or Penguindrum, or basically anything where you're likely to stop the orderly flow of action for a psychedelic sequence of footage where you aren't quite sure what happened afterward.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately, it's kind of a "know it when you see it" thing—if you're familiar with the specific kinds of anime Techno references, you'll know exactly how it's supposed to work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, the CEO of EOS decided to delete the Kickstarter account used to run the Chuubo KS because getting emails about it made him sad, or something.

If you need further information about our work to fulfil EOS' unmet obligations, Jenna's tumblr is the place to go.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

spectralent posted:

...Wooooow.

So just, nobody's getting any books now?

No, we still have the development budget and backer information (EOS took the print budget), and thanks to a generous fan offering to help, everybody's going to get PoD copies who ordered print.

The major difference is that Jenna can no longer send out updates through Kickstarter.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake is now available in print-on-demand.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Glass-Maker's Dragon links are now going out to backers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

And man is it pretty; I think GMD might have my favorite layout of the three, and seeing it in this format brings home just how enormous this campaign is. Also, the Wishing Map is a really clever little mechanic and I need to steal it for something, somewhere, until I get a chance to play through Glass-Maker's Dragon.

Thomas really did an amazing job at making Jenna's box-heavy layout work with minimal whitespace.

I really like the new design for Issue cards. Why did I let the first ones be square? Why???

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You get rewards for a quest even if it's not your Arc quest, based on the appropriate rewards at your current Arc level.

One Arc at a time is pretty much the rule, so in this case Fascination is just going to be a sidequest, although the XP you put towards it does count towards your total to finish the Arc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Doc Aquatic posted:

Oh, that's interesting. So, for example, if someone is on an arc did the first 35-XP arc quest, then a 35-XP sidequest, would finishing their second on-arc quest finish that arc? Or would Fascination only count because it's more clearly tied to the knight arc (In that she's learning about a member of her court) than, say, a quest about learning to be a chef?

As I understood rewards, they're based on your current position in the arc rather than your arc trait. For instance, even if you're on storyteller 0, if you finish the fourth quest, you pick a reward from that menu. If you're getting a reward from a quest off that arc, would you just pick based on the arc quest you're currently on, or are the quest rewards you're talking about, like, in the context of quest miracles from that section of the book, rather than the arc quest perks?

Some quests are tied to the Arc and some aren't, but there's also an XP target to complete your Arc that the HG sets after getting an idea of exactly how quickly the group is picking up XP. Sidequests still count towards that target.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Out of interest, is there a recommended place to start with Chuubo's? Something equivalent to an introductory adventure, or a quickstart or something. I think I get what Chuubo's is about, but not to the level where I'd be confident explaining it to half a dozen people who've never heard of it. Glass-Maker's Dragon is incredibly cool but trying to run that from the off looks like it may be jumping in at the deep end, as it were. Is there a 'Chuubo's-with-training-wheels' setup for people who want to dip their toes in the shallow end?

The Halloween Special isn't a bad choice, being a very short mortal-level campaign.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

We finally finished the layout stage of Glass-Maker's Dragon and are ready to move on to print proofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

After a million years of waiting, you can now buy the digital version of The Glass-Maker's Dragon on DriveThru.

• Locked thread