Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do the backers feel about the game and the PDF now that they have some time to look at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FewtureMD posted:

My feelings upon opening the PDF, and seeing how good the layout and art are:

I have the ebook version, but I felt that it was a bit hard to parse. Do you feel this version's layout makes it easier to read in comparison?

Covok
May 27, 2013

FewtureMD posted:

Okay, review time, I guess. I definitely feel that the layout/art version helps me parse the game better, and more importantly, helps me sell the game to newcomers. The fact that I can point to images of what life in Town is like is great, helped along by incredibly solid art direction. It's much easier to get across the idea that this is a game where interpersonal interactions can be just as important as combat, if not more so. (I think Principal Entropy tends to look down on fisticuffs) Add in the fact that the various Genre Icons are colorcoded, as are any boxes dealing with one, and I can say I genuinely regret not springing for a physical copy.

Were physical copies limited to the KS? Or will they be sold later through digital services? If you happen to know, I mean.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's going to be print-on-demand through DriveThru.

Any announced release date?

Covok
May 27, 2013

FewtureMD posted:

Man, reading and talking about Chuubo really makes me sad that the game I was in earlier this summer died out after like, five posts :(

Well, I have an epub version and I'm sure there are a few others interested on the forums. You could start another one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Me and my friend backed the kickstarted and received our copies a while ago. We are both interested in the title, but neither of us know how to run it. We've never done a "slice of life" game before. We do understand there is very detailed advice in the book, but we still don't get how to run the game. As in, we don't understand how to really set-up a plot and have it work. What I mean is...how do you keep to a point in a slice of life game? How do you keep things moving? To be more precise, how do you really prepare for a campaign in Chuubos? We're both more used to dungeon crawling and mystery games so this is new to us. The game gives get advice for genres, but we just can't really wrap our heads around it.

Also, we're not the best with understanding the mechanics either, if I can mention that quickly as well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Generally speaking, setting up your Arcs and quests at the beginning will frontload most of this for you. Once you know what's the big project in your characters life, and you know that you'll be taking at least one slice-of-life-y action every chapter, that should keep you to the "point" of slice-of-life gaming without you having to do much else.

So, what you actually have to do on-the-fly will be anything that isn't obviously slice-of-life. If you want to have an adventurous, mysterious, or wicked interlude (as slice-of-life stories sometimes do), that's the part you'll have to deliberately introduce while running the game.

ActingPower posted:

Here's what I've fathomed from reading the book:

1. Your characters are driven by their Arc, their current Quests, their Issues, their Bonds/Afflictions, and their XP Emotions and Actions. If a player isn't sure what to do, have them do something related to one of those.

2. Same with the plots. You should have an overarching plot (IIRC, you can make a group Quest that everyone can put XP towards), but it should be something really simple. That way, what really gives the characters direction is their own struggles. That's how you keep to a point or keep things moving: just have the player work towards one of their quests.

3. Campaigns are designed around four things: Books, Sessions, Chapters, and Scenes. A Scene is about 15 minutes long. A Chapter is between 1 and 6 Scenes long. A Session is approximately 3 chapters, or on average about 4 hours. And a Book is 2-5 Sessions. Basically, however much you'd expect to happen in something of that narrative length, that's what should happen.

4. The mechanics are pretty simple. There are basically two things worth thinking about : XP and Intentions. You get XP by doing Quests, receiving XP by inspiring your XP Emotion, or performing the XP Actions. Once you get a certain amount of XP, you can complete a Quest. After you complete a certain amount of Quests, you can finish part of an Arc. The other thing, Intentions, is the action resolution system. Whenever you focus on an action, that's an Intention. You can do two of them at once. If you want to really focus on something or work really hard on it, you have to spend Will. You add your Will to either your Skill level or the greatest Bonus you can apply, then subtract the Obstacle or other penalties to the action. There's also Miracles, but that's basically just Intentions, only Magical, and you spend MP instead of Will. (Kind of. It's a little more complicated than that.)

Is there something other than that that's confusing you?

No, that was pretty much it when it came to our questions. This really helped us out. Thank you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

While I know General Ironicus hinted at doing one, does anyone know any good actual plays of Chuubo's? Just curious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, about jumping in at the last second to voice my interest...

Covok
May 27, 2013

How well would this title run Exalted?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I feel that either Epic or Adventure Fantasy would probably cover Exalted and do it in a way that's a lot more fun than Ex3 in general, not just crafting. I don't know, just my feelings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm not really interested in having this Exalted game be dynasty warriors. I'd be more interested in it being like the Iliad or the Odyssey. Those kind of epic, ancient poems. I mean it's supposed to be Greek Mythology meets Wuxia with an anime aesthetic, no?

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

Man, who even knows? Exalted might've had a clear aesthetic at some point but it can ricochet between dragonball Z and odyssey pretty much at random. And different people like different bits of that, too, so it's not even consistent what people like about it.

I've noticed that quite a bit. My friend is mad the current edition isn't focusing on the sillier, late 2E elements that got him into the setting. That's why I'm kind of narrowing in and defining what I like so everyone would be on the same page. But, meh, maybe this is a round peg into a square hole.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Doc Aquatic posted:

I think Chuubo would work well for what you want, though, as long as you're willing to handle the conflicts narratively (or pull in some other system to handle them). Like, if you're comfortable with not rolling dice to see if the Cyclops really thinks your name is 'No One', then Chuubo is probably what you want, though you're probably going to have to make up or modify a fair number of quests.

I took that as a given since there isn't too many sample quests anyway, unless I'm mistaken. If there are a bunch of sample quests, that would be awesome to know, but I remember the book not having too many.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neopie posted:

There's more in Glass Maker's Dragon and Fortitude, by the docks of big lake.

Of course, those are all pastoral.
Where/how are you running this?

Play by post on SA was the idea. I don't think any of my IRL group would be cool with Chuubos, unfortunately.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How many quests should a game need at the start?

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

GMD gives a character 3.

So I need enough for every player to get 3 and still have options. So, like 25?

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

Oh, man, no; work with your players, ask them what they want to be doing and write it with them. Ideally you get to a point where your players write their own quests; it's the total opposite of the Promethean "GM writes personal quests they hope the PC will like" structure, it's about players giving you the list of cool stuff they want to see and be involved in.

Oh, thank God. That makes my job a lot, lot easier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thinking about it, for a game of Exigents, it might more sense to do Adventure Fantasy, maybe. Like, they're Exalted, but they are much weaker than even Dragon-Blooded. They are made from little gods and can vary greatly in power. Like, if they ran into things of Solar level affair or even Dragon-Blooded affair, they could do the (Being In) Trouble action.

So, to anyone interested, likely going to be Adventure Fantasy. Will likely post up the recruitment thread soon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Being powerful doesn't stop you from needing to take the (be in) Trouble Action, but you're probably right that it's the best choice for Exalted.

Yeah, more I think about it, Epic Fantasy is more like Nobilis than Exalted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I should mention I went through with the idea for any of you who may be interested.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, how do you know if you succeeded or failed at something?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

You're entitled to whatever your Intention level gets you. Beyond that, it's essentially up the the HG to determine in terms of how difficult the task is. So, a level 1 Intention is basically just "you definitely did something and not nothing" which is still probably enough to like, open a door that isn't locked, or make an okay sandwich.

Level 2 lets you please yourself, so you can make a sandwich you think is good.

Level 3 lets you know that you're going to make the sandwich "correctly" for some version of "correct."

Level 4 will make your sandwich-making "effective" so that you can be sure that it will somehow advance your immediate goals.

Level 5 guarantees you "productive" sandwich-making that will somehow make your life better. Maybe your boss or a handsome co-worker is impressed by your kitchen skills?

Levels 6-8 are all basically the same as the last three, but let you do really correct/effective/productive things.

Level 9 guarantees that you've done "the right thing" for some version of "right."

You'll note that none of these guarantees actually include success as such, so essentially success and failure are arbitrary. What really counts, and what the action system measures, is how helpful your action winds up being in the short/long run.

...or you could do the task as a quest, in which case you probably know whether you're going to succeed/fail/HG-decides from the beginning.

What page is that on? I was looking at intentions, but couldn't find things on levels.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, can anyone describe how the premium version of Chuubo's physical book differs from the normal hardback?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's on page 65. Whoops, it looks like I mixed up levels 1 and 2.

The paper is thicker and a higher quality, and consequently the book is much bigger. It's otherwise identical.

Oh, I get it now: it was under actions, not intentions. I guess that makes sense.

Also, I'm torn on getting the normal or the premium. Is the premium really worth it for the paper quality increase?

Covok
May 27, 2013

How do NPCs work? How are they made, if they are?

Covok
May 27, 2013

How useful is the Techno Player's Guide for Chuubo's? What's in it that isn't in the corebook?

Covok
May 27, 2013

inklesspen posted:

The Techno Player's Guide is, as far as I can tell, something that exists because I mentioned to Jenna that I would never get my group to actually read the whole corebook, and it would be nice to have something to give them that had just the rules for a particular genre and level of play.

So, it's a restating of the content in the rulebook for Techno Games?

Covok
May 27, 2013

spectralent posted:

It goes into a lot more detail too, which is nice because I think techno is the genre people don't really grok out of the box. I mean, I can see why, "slice of life anime", "fairy tale" and "gothic" and stuff are all things that seem fairly commonplace to understand. Techno is a bit weird as a descriptor.

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It also includes the rules for the Battle Mode ritual, in case you wanted a more detailed or JRPG-derived combat system.

That can be worth the price of admission.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Remember that bit of realism that you can hang on in Adventure Fantasy? My understanding is that that's going straight into the garbage bin in a Techno game.

I have been told that watching an anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena would enlighten me but I never got around to it. In the mean time the best comparison I can make is Adventure Time, maybe especially when Moynihan is at the wheel.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's Utena, or Penguindrum, or basically anything where you're likely to stop the orderly flow of action for a psychedelic sequence of footage where you aren't quite sure what happened afterward.

I...still don't follow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know that scene in Dumbo with the pink elephants? It's a regular feature of play, it doesn't only happen when someone gets drunk and occasionally the elephants leave their instruments behind.

I thought that was The Road of Trials.

Looking through the core again, it does mention this in Techno as (Reacting to) Transitions, but does go into detail for Breaking From Reality in Road of Trials.

Covok
May 27, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

...you're right. Since I clearly don't understand the theory behind I'll describe my experience.

We had this scene in a game I'm in, where a PC was accused by someone else of being the reincarnation of the Dream Witch Meramie Mesmer. Everyone started acting like a defendant, accuser or of course the victim, depending on their inclination; we reached "objection to the objection to the objection" towards the end with little difficulty. Even though the game had been a Pastoral experience with a side serving of adventure and personal growth up until that point, for half an hour it was Phoenix Wright's unreleased crossover special.

That was a Ritual. Rituals are very common in Techno games. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Everytime I think I know how to play this game, I find out I know nothing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

fez_machine posted:

This is Utena and it is very Techno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUOowCUJQo particularly the singing.

That was...certainly a thing I just saw.

So, it's heavily stylized, loose reality, rule of cool style stories?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, is there any recorded actual play of Chuubo's yet?

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best premade adventure for Chuubo's? Doing a oneshot on Sunday to makeup for not being able to do BW.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I made a guide to the system for my players. It was supposed to be quick and to-the-point, but it got progressively out-of-hand. Might be useful to someone, though, if you want a quick-ish summary of things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, I got a coupon that I decided to spend on buying the Print-On-Demand version of Chuubo's.

Boy, did I not know how big this thing was:

I mean, I should have guessed, but it took me by surprise. I forgot how many pages it was.

FF's Edge of the Empire provided for size reference.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kestral posted:

And books two and three are both about the same size, albeit not required for play

Books two and three? What are those?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rewatching Ed, Edd, and Eddy really gives me Chuubo's vibes, for some reason. I was just rewatching the episode where they got lost in flashbacks literally and my mind couldn't help but flash to Chuubos. Really wish I could get people down to play this crazy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is there a thriving (or alive) Chuubos community anywhere?

• Locked thread