Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I didn't know that we had a thread all for Chuubo! If I did, I would have asked my questions here instead of the chat thread.
I have reached the setting section of the book, and it's pretty great! Not only as a setting, but also as a collection of mechanics examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

hyphz posted:

Got my hardback copy. It's really beautiful. Just need to face up to the unlikely-to-ever-play-this problem. :)

I'd love to try it out as well. Is it an issue of lack of free time? Because I think you could recruit some players in here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

hyphz posted:

I'm getting really tired of my non-Chuubo's vibe. Are there still people around who want to try it?

I would love to!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would prefer PbP because timezones are the bane of my existance since I am European, but I'll see what I can do once we get better organized.

Out of curiosity, who here is confident enough in their Chuubo-fu that they could GM a game?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I suppose I'm not busy if people want to do a game of Glass-Maker's Dragon.

I would be extremely grateful!
Is it preferable to know nothing of this adventure going in or to be informed? I assume it is to know nothing about it, and I don't, but I can inform myself if you prefer!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Do you have to play as one of the official main characters (Chuubo, Leonardo de Montreal etc.) in GMC or do player-made characters work as well?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Doc Aquatic posted:

I think Chuubo would work well for what you want, though, as long as you're willing to handle the conflicts narratively (or pull in some other system to handle them). Like, if you're comfortable with not rolling dice to see if the Cyclops really thinks your name is 'No One', then Chuubo is probably what you want, though you're probably going to have to make up or modify a fair number of quests.

Oh come on now, Odysseus has to have at least 3 points in Cunning. (I like to think that mythological heroes have abilities that cover a lot of ground, since they can accomplish a variety of stuff in myth.

...mmm. What sort of Arcs was Odysseus in, do you think?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A question has come up in the game that Covok is hosting, and I thought I'd ask here.

It says on the manual that you are supposed to start off a Miraculous character with two Perks. Problem is, Perks seem to cover basically everything from Tricks to Superior Skills to Magical ones. How do you establish what is acceptable and what isn't? Is it just HG fiat?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Uh. We are playing as Arc 0 characters, so I guess we should not have access to those Perks then?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I think it's written somewhere in the manual that you can treat NPCs as either Obstacles or use the Contest rules; and yet if you check the wiki you find plenty of NPCs completely statted out, including, if I remember correctly, the School Student Council.

Since we are asking questions, here are mine: in the Arc descriptions it says that an Arc can be composed by three Quests, and the fourth and fifth ones are optional in case PC did not get enough XP (or if the conclusion of the Arc does not seem right). But how is an HG supposed to decide how many XPs are needed to advance? And if it's up to them, why specify this in the Arc at all?

There are also a number of...interesting choices about what powers gets which Arc. The arc about becoming a kaiju also includes mood control and an "evil" transformation; the arc about trying and failing to be a better person comes with some horrible event to be unleashed should the character lose all their Divine Health levels. I am not criticizing these choices, they certainly create atmospheric and unique Arcs, but I do not understand them. What made you and Jenna decide which one got what?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 15, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, about that, what the gently caress is the techno genre?

Remember that bit of realism that you can hang on in Adventure Fantasy? My understanding is that that's going straight into the garbage bin in a Techno game.

I have been told that watching an anime called Revolutionary Girl Utena would enlighten me but I never got around to it. In the mean time the best comparison I can make is Adventure Time, maybe especially when Moynihan is at the wheel.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

That can be worth the price of admission.

I...still don't follow.

You know that scene in Dumbo with the pink elephants? It's a regular feature of play, it doesn't only happen when someone gets drunk and occasionally the elephants leave their instruments behind.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I thought that was The Road of Trials.

Looking through the core again, it does mention this in Techno as (Reacting to) Transitions, but does go into detail for Breaking From Reality in Road of Trials.

...you're right. Since I clearly don't understand the theory behind I'll describe my experience.

We had this scene in a game I'm in, where a PC was accused by someone else of being the reincarnation of the Dream Witch Meramie Mesmer. Everyone started acting like a defendant, accuser or of course the victim, depending on their inclination; we reached "objection to the objection to the objection" towards the end with little difficulty. Even though the game had been a Pastoral experience with a side serving of adventure and personal growth up until that point, for half an hour it was Phoenix Wright's unreleased crossover special.

That was a Ritual. Rituals are very common in Techno games. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Doodmons posted:

I really don't know what to make of Chuubo's or how to play it but man does reading The Glass-Maker's Dragon ever make me want to run that campaign. The pregens are so cool

I have been told this happens to everyone who tries Chuubo. How far did you get before getting confused? Maybe we can help.

• Locked thread