Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Covok posted:

While I know General Ironicus hinted at doing one, does anyone know any good actual plays of Chuubo's? Just curious.

What funny timing, that's what I'm looking for as well. Most of the discussion I can find about this game revolve around the lore connections to Nobilis and the metaplot. In fact this thread is the first place I found that wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Flavivirus posted:

We started our game of this last night and it seems pretty fun so far? The biggest obstacle I think was digesting the huge character play books and working out that there wasn't actually all that much that you needed to know - most of the writing is examples or in-depth explanations or inspiration if you get stuck. We had a pretty easy-going first session, with Jade Irinka and Shoukyu cleaning the Yatskaya shrine, fetching tea from Miramie's new shop, finding out tea deliveries are going missing, running into Leonardo de Montreal and accidentally inspiring him to make shops sentient, and eventually finding out the missing tea was due to the harbourmaster being ~mysteriously hypnotised~ by Outside dust leaving the harbour to fall into chaos.

The system was pretty simple to get a hold of and it was great to have quests there to tell you what your objectives should be or what fun things you could do to advance your plot. We didn't use Issues at all and I'm a little worried they'll complicate things a lot but I'm looking forward to trying them out!

Cool, just a question, have you used just the premade quests so far or have you used some of your own yet? How does making your own quest on the fly go?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Flavivirus posted:

Had a second session last night - game is still fun. Got a few new quests like learning the Cat-Speaker's family magic and joining School's golf club despite haunting premonitions of death at the hands of a laser-guided golfing robot, and started playing around with Issues. I think we're getting more comfortable with the skill system though we haven't done much with miracles yet.

One of the most interesting things about this game so far is that it centres the play experience around experiencing life in Fortitude rather than pursuing objectives. Sure, you do have goals from your quests, but the main way you get the XP to fulfill the quests is to bond with npcs or other players as they go about their lives or remark on the world around them. Really you could reduce the game down to just the quests and XP actions and I think it would still work really well - skills and miracles are still great but they're not the core mechanic they appear to be.

Thanks for posting your impressions, they help a lot.

Edit: this is such a stupid question, but I honestly can't figure it out: what actually advances Issues? XP actions, or just actions that "fit" the issue?

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 12, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm game, for pretty much any format/schedule. I have too much free time.

• Locked thread