Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Jenna Moran posted:

I mean, I *really* think the basic toolkit would be good for such things: it's designed to create the kind of stories you see in a carefully-plotted and edited novel from the random impulses of a bunch of players and some just-in-time rules reactions thereto, and before I started simplifying it for tabletop play it was roughly as good of a storyteller as I am.

Now I'm really curious about the sorts of things that were streamlined out. I love CMWGE, and the theory that came before the practical application seems like it'd be a really cool thing to dig into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

If there's still hypothetical room in a hypothetical IRC Chuubo game, I would be 100% down for it.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I suppose I'm not busy if people want to do a game of Glass-Maker's Dragon.

That'd be fantastic! I always assumed I'd never get the chance to play it.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

That sounds like a good idea, definitely.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah. It cares about almost entirely different things than the Exalted ruleset does. Exalted is very concerned with moment to moment conflicts and how, exactly, individual moments happen, while Chuubo simplifies that quite a big and mostly focuses on managing story arcs and subplots and theme.

If you were an absolute maniac, you could maybe even run it on top of Exalted, using Chuubo to handle the direction of the game, and using Exalted to handle task resolution, but it would be an awful lot to pay attention to.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

I think Chuubo would work well for what you want, though, as long as you're willing to handle the conflicts narratively (or pull in some other system to handle them). Like, if you're comfortable with not rolling dice to see if the Cyclops really thinks your name is 'No One', then Chuubo is probably what you want, though you're probably going to have to make up or modify a fair number of quests.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

I'd like at least one, since Keeper of Gardens doesn't work without the It's Like A Home To Me perk.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

NPCs work because we believe in the idea that they work :v:

Seriously, though, NPCs don't really have stats or quests or miraculous powers or anything PCs do. Like, they can act like they do, and it's useful to go 'Oh, you're having to deal with this power', but there's no formalized system for statting them out.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

I'm in the process of re-reading Chuubo as I make a character for a new game, and it occurs to me how little I know. As I understood it, you started with an advancement arc, and that you could pick up other quests as side-gigs, which provided benefits on completion on par with what you'd expect from having done the thing.

However, reading the chapter on quests, it seems like all quests, not just the main advancement arc, are on arcs. Am I correct to assume that, for instance...

A character finds out that they're the demon queen, and they're on a Knight arc to explore what this means, having done a previous Knight arc. They also become interested in a member of their court, and start the Fascination quest. According to page 104, it sounds like if they finish Fascination, it becomes a new arc trait, so they're now on, say, Knight 1, Storyteller 0.

Is that the case? Do you have multiple arc traits at once, rather than focusing on a single arc? My cursory stroll through the book made me realize that I might not actually know how arcs work after all.

Edit: I found the sidebar on page 388, which talks about having more than one arc (Basically, don't, or only have other arcs for organizational purposes), which makes the text on page 104 somewhat confusing. I think the intention is that only quests on your arc give you rewards, but I don't think that's ever directly stated, just kind of gestured around.

Doc Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Oh, that's interesting. So, for example, if someone is on an arc did the first 35-XP arc quest, then a 35-XP sidequest, would finishing their second on-arc quest finish that arc? Or would Fascination only count because it's more clearly tied to the knight arc (In that she's learning about a member of her court) than, say, a quest about learning to be a chef?

As I understood rewards, they're based on your current position in the arc rather than your arc trait. For instance, even if you're on storyteller 0, if you finish the fourth quest, you pick a reward from that menu. If you're getting a reward from a quest off that arc, would you just pick based on the arc quest you're currently on, or are the quest rewards you're talking about, like, in the context of quest miracles from that section of the book, rather than the arc quest perks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Does that also include XP for the basic quest? Like, does all XP gained for all quests go towards completing an arc? I already had a feeling that it would be rare to get past the third quest on an arc, since the default arc length is 100 and it seems like a lot of the quests are 35. If every XP earned goes towards finishing an arc, it feels like a lot of arcs will hit 100 XP around the middle of the second quest, if the PCs have more than one thing going on.

• Locked thread