Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It's worth bearing in mind that Chuubo's is linked to Nobilis v3, which is a bit closer to reality than Nobilis v2 (ie, the GWB) was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Got my hardback copy. It's really beautiful. Just need to face up to the unlikely-to-ever-play-this problem. :)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'd love to try it out as well. Is it an issue of lack of free time? Because I think you could recruit some players in here.

It's partly fear of flaking and partly the fact it's a sufficiently difficult game for me that I'd be uncomfortable running/playing with people I only knew from the net.

I have a few rules questions as well, and I guess this is as good a place as any:

- The word "Arc" seems to be reused to mean a whole bunch of things. So, I get that an Arc is a series of Quests with narrative notes that put them in context. Then there's an "Arc Trait", which governs what level of perk and things you've gotten from playing an Arc. But as I understand it, the Arc Trait only goes up by 1 when you complete an entire Arc of that type, not when you are at that stage of the Arc. So you have to play the Arc several times to raise the Arc Trait (not necessarily in order). But then at the back of the book are the "Miraculous Arcs", which are lists of powers you get at different levels.. and therefore presumably not actually Arcs at all but perks you get from a series of Arcs of the associated type? Plus, Arcs are described as giving context to Quests, but you can also get XP for an Arc from doing other things, and it's mentioned this could be 30% of the Arc XP.. Since an Arc is 5 quests, each one would be 20%, so that means a side quest can completely displace one of the contextualized quests on the Arc?

- Issues. The early sections imply that Issues are given out as semi-penalties when an XP action is invoked out of context, but the later section says that the HG can give out an Issue whenever an XP action is taken depending the situation. Is it expected/normal that an Issue would be given for any XP action? It seems rather awkward that the player can never know if an action will advance an issue or not.

- "Adventure GET." This XP action triggers when you're in a threatening situation, but it seems problematic because after doing it, you Fade, so... when is the actual resolution of the threatening situation played out? I can see it's supposed to be a cliffhanger (although it seems a bit weird that every occasion would be a cliffhanger). Also, it seems this allows a character like Rinley to trigger Adventure GET and then in a following scene when she's not the focus, Tall Tales straight out of it again. While I accept that this would be totally in character it seems a bit powerful, any time something threatens her she just cashes it in for XP and then leaves while Faded. Is that right?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Glazius posted:

Those aren't XP actions, those are quest flavor, chapter XP bonuses.

XP actions are the ten or twelve core drivers: Suffer Corruption, Shared Reaction, Ritual, Discovery, etc. You basically say "this was my important scene where I" + XP action name, and then you pass the focus to someone else. You can work your quest flavor into your XP actions for the chapter, or you can pick it up as a background character in someone else's scene.

Adventure Get isn't an XP action? I thought it was listed in one of the play style lists.

There's another one that bothered me a bit, although this might be a bit meta:
- The world has the region property "turning into a giant snake does not help."
- Say someone turns into a giant snake and gets into trouble.
- Because a region property has caused them trouble, it behaves like a level 2 bond, and so they can get 2 MP.
- After they turn back, they can benefit from the 2 MP.
- So it did help.
Is that intended?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
"Turning into a giant snake never helps" is definitely in the basic book because I read it there, although it does note that it might not come into play unless you're using a version of Chuubo who has that ability.

So, let me see if I've got this right. Say I want to be the biggest badass in Town with a gun. This means I want to do The Ace. The Ace is an Aspect Arc, so I look up Aspect 1, and see that it involves something making me stuck, and ends with me pushing past it. Now I need an Aspect 1 Quest which I can spin that way.

In the book there's a couple of these. One of these is Physical Training. So this could be me learning how to shoot, having a problem, and working out a way around it. Or I could be Private Pile, and be kind of crap at the physical training, but find shooting is my way around it. Another is Above The Fray, which would involve observing something bad and being stuck about how to respond to it, and then figuring out a way around that, possibly involving a gun.

Then in terms of actual actions I will aim to do the stuff on that quest plus my setting XP actions from the play mode?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Neopie posted:

Man, I wish it was easier to find IRC games or the like of Chuubo's. It's kind of become that 'pet favorite system I'll never be able to play in' for me, since even on RPGnet and the like it feels like it's impossible to find an IRC game or the like (I find myself... having problems keeping up with PBP games.) Ah well, one day. In the meanwhile, I'm sort of frantically flailing around trying to plot out a setting and characters to try to hook some of my regular group in so that I can /run/ a game, but it's not quite the same thing, you know?

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard about any real-time games, come to think of it. The action system tends to encourage writing paragraphs at a time, from what I've seen..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Flavivirus posted:

I'm in a real-time, meatspace game! It's a lot more relaxed than other games, certainly, though last session we decided to switch from Pastoral to Epic Fantasy so things might speed up a little.

Anyone played Techno? How does that work? I loved TWEWY.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Rand Brittain posted:

There a Techno Player's Guide available in print now if that might help.

I've got that, and it's good at being a player's guide, but an HG's guide to Techno would be much more useful!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I had another look through the Techno guide and it really more reminded me of surrealist video games like Off or Frankie Goes To Hollywood* than TWEWY. (Although both of those are awesome, too.)

It really needs more detail on what can be part of a Ritual and how you stop Rituals becoming a huge XP gimme because of the ability to gain an XP by "taking any meaningful action" during one, though..

*Because I've been challenged on this before, yes, Frankie Goes To Hollywood is a surrealist game for the Commodore 64 from the 80s. Yes, it's based on the band. It starts with you trapped in an infinitely repeating generic town from which you escape into sub-games by stepping into works of art inside the houses. No, I am not joking. And yes, that sounds pretty awesome for Chuubo's.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I'm getting really tired of my non-Chuubo's vibe. Are there still people around who want to try it?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Wow. I forgot how dark GMD gets..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Megazver posted:

Always did want to give Chuubo a try. I'm also in euro timezone, though.

There's some Euro folks in Rand's game based on the IRC last night, although mostly students who have leeway for staying up late or playing on weekdays.

My current plan is to eavesdrop Rand's game (assuming that's ok) and then try to play/HG a game in Euro time when work has died down.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Can you run Chuubo one-shots?

If you have players who are a bit like "I don't really mind what we play.." are they doomed to rack up Hollow?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Thing is, most of the book is the sample Arcs and Quests. It isn't scary huge with rules like Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, the rules are tiny. 90% of the book is Quests and Arcs.

• Locked thread