Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FewtureMD posted:

To me, the major difference between Chuubo and Nobilis is that of scale. In Nobilis, you're playing the embodiment of a concept, with all the cosmic power that entails. Meanwhile, in Chuubo, the characters do have supernatural abilities, but nothing nearly on the level of an Imperator. Plus, the world is Nobilis is much more fantastical than Chuubo's Miyazaki-inspired magical realism. As to the art, it's still pretty "anime" akin to Nobilis 3e, but there's a stronger sense of cohesiveness to the various works, in that they all could be from the same place, rather than sort of cobbled together.

Also the art isn't complete junk and is presented in a lovely way. No bland tohou ripoffs here. (There's a bit of swiping from Harry Potter but I'm assuming that's intentional)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Covok posted:

That can be worth the price of admission.

I...still don't follow.

This is Utena and it is very Techno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnUOowCUJQo particularly the singing.

Also consider watching Gatchaman C.R.O.W.D.S, it's free on Crunchy Roll.

Basically, Techno is when everything gets as Magical Girl Anime as possible.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2016

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Covok posted:

That was...certainly a thing I just saw.

So, it's heavily stylized, loose reality, rule of cool style stories?

Yeah, you said it better than I could.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

spectralent posted:

The thing is I kind of am, but didn't really get that techno was referencing that until I read the techno guide.

Yeah, the core book really should have had concrete examples for each of the genres. But it is Jenna's thing to have fuzzy definitions.

From reading a bunch of Jenna's stuff, it looks like Jenna's fundamental philosophy is that having fuzzy definitions empowers the players to play as THEY want to.

To a lesser or greater degree it doesn't matter how you play a Jenna Moran game as long as you're having fun and feel empowered. Most of her games are about giving you to power to say "I AM THIS" or "I DO THIS" and that's what you are and what you do, the rules are there to provide the why and the consequences.

But if you like how Jenna makes games it can be a headache trying to figure out how to play it absolutely RAW.

• Locked thread