Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X88sCQy6swI

Sectors five and six!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I am the objectively best race.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Aw geeze, I just realized that this ship layout means that you can't really man doors and then vent selectively, because the doors are on the "critical venting path" for half the ship. On top of all the other handicaps this ship has, it has terrible venting. What the hell.

EDIT: regarding pulsars, they're pretty consistent -- you get smacked with two massive hits of ion damage to random systems (but if your shields are up when the pulsar hits then they are always ioned; similarly if you have a Zoltan shield up it'll get blown away by the pulsar but you're otherwise protected from that blast). The problem is when their attack systems aren't hit and your shields are, which is very common unless you drop your shields immediately before the pulsar hits. If you do that then they probably won't get ioned and you can raise them back up again.

This guy just got really lucky in that neither his weapons nor his attack drones got ioned, while your shields and your piloting and your weapons did. I'm impressed you survived, frankly. He lost his shields and probably also lost pointless crap like O2 and doors.

EDIT2: oh, you discuss this :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 19, 2014

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Should have a lanius door monkey.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You got through that nebula pretty well intact. Wonder what kind of weapon you're going to pick up before the finale.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
You were wondering if nebula sectors delayed the fleet at all, They do just not as much as random space nebula, I think regular nebula cut their jumps down to half and sectors cut it to 2 thirds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Panboy posted:

You were wondering if nebula sectors delayed the fleet at all, They do just not as much as random space nebula, I think regular nebula cut their jumps down to half and sectors cut it to 2 thirds.

If I recall correctly, regular jumps are 64 pixels, nebula sectors are more like 50, and nebulas in non-nebula sectors are indeed 32 pixels. The reduction is basically exactly enough to make up for the increased number of "nothing happens" or "whoops you got boarded but there's no rewards" events in nebulas...as long as you have enough fuel, anyway.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Finally caught up with this thread. ProfessorBooty is some kind of machine to roll out these updates so frequently.

Also, please put me on the crew roster. Doesn't matter who, but I'll be happy to punch/slice/clobber some rebels in the face.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Any chance you could fix the playlist? It's all kinds of screwed up.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMTw8FHmis

The conclusion of the Engi B. Next up will be the Slug A on hard!

I'm looking for suggestions on what ship to use for the Captain's edition - and maybe other mods. All I have installed is CE/Resource Pack, and the Better Planets and Backgrounds.

PRL412 posted:

Finally caught up with this thread. ProfessorBooty is some kind of machine to roll out these updates so frequently.

It's actually kind of simple. My room mate and I enjoy playing video games together, and we can typically record one run in a single day. We usually do this on Saturday but I'm ahead enough for us to skip recording every now and then. So in one recording session we'll make four videos worth of content.

Deathwind posted:

Any chance you could fix the playlist? It's all kinds of screwed up.

Done :downs:. Still finding ways to tweak video and audio quality, which meant pulling videos down and re-uploading prior to publishing. Never thought to take a look at that. Thanks!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's the kind of project structure I haven't seen in LP since Star Guarded's Matul Remrit. He'd have an update buffer to last him 3 months on average (am not making GBS threads you).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
My best suggestion would be to take a ship that was kinda meh but you liked for your first run of captains, so you can see how they rebalanced that ship.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Just to note, that defense drone at the end did fire, he just missed. Don't be mean to the poor widdle defense drone. :(

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The "best" way to do that slugs ambushing the pirate event is you agree to split it with them and when them jump away after you do half damage to the pirate you follow them and get a better reward.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

ProfessorBooty posted:

The conclusion of the Engi B. Next up will be the Slug A on hard!

You forgot you had hacking so hard.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Couldn't you have used flak as cover for getting your hacking past his defense drone? It would take careful timing, since hacking moves faster than the flak, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

Edit: Also, put me in, coach!

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 23, 2014

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Very nice run Prof. Booty. I liked how nervous you got with the final boss despite totally kicking their rear end in all phases :)

You probably have a long roster of space volunteers left for the final runs, but if you end up needing another body to valiantly perish in the hard vacuum of space, feel free to add me to the volunteers again!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, The Slug ship has an anti-bio beam :allears:

Those things are so much fun.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shei-kun posted:

Oh man, The Slug ship has an anti-bio beam :allears:

Those things are so much fun.

I have yet to figure out how on earth to use that properly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

citybeatnik posted:

I have yet to figure out how on earth to use that properly.

Knock down shields, path the beam over the tiles enemy crew are in, repeat, all crew hit by the beam (except Rock and possibly Crystal) are dead. You can generally kill two crew per two passes, which makes it pretty effective at killing crew. Rockmen are one obvious problem; the other is Slugs since they can have 6 crew per ship.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
Ya know, I've always really wanted to make the Anti-Bio Beam work, but it's stuck in this limbo of being either under-powered or over-powered. Killing in one shot would be stupid, but requiring two shots plus shield disruption makes it terrible for any enemy with healing/cloning options. It just stops being viable after a while. Maybe if there was an Anti-Bio II that pierced a shield bubble or two, but as it stands, I just don't see it as anything but an early sector gimmick.

This is also an open call to players more skilled or experienced than myself to prove me wrong (because I'm not-so-secretly hoping to finally have a run that uses this weapon effectively).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My best luck with the anti-bio beam includes a breach bomb or other similarly effective "turn this healing off right the gently caress now" option. Yes, this means that you end up needing three weapons--breach bomb, burst laser/flak to burn through shields, and anti-bio beam.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's remote boarding! :haw:

I'd also like to see someone pull this off. How'd you deal with AI ships? Professor?

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't had much experience with the bio beam, if at all. Does it hurt your own guys if it hits when they've boarded?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

I haven't had much experience with the bio beam, if at all. Does it hurt your own guys if it hits when they've boarded?

Why wouldn't it? None of the other weapons have friendly fire disabled except the Heal Bomb, sort of (where I guess "friendly fire" would mean that it heals the enemy too).

Personally when it comes to eradicating enemy crew from a distance, I'd rather go with a Fire Beam, or with hacking their O2 system. Hacking O2 is very reliable, but incredibly slow; the Fire Beam does more crew disruption, though, and works even if they have a clonebay or medbay.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Breach Bombs are my favorite way of disabling a ship and crew simultaneously. They can get a little expensive though.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Karate Bastard posted:

I'd also like to see someone pull this off. How'd you deal with AI ships? Professor?

You'll have to see - but the Slug B does come with a dual laser, one of the (in my opinion) best weapons in the game if you have four weapon slots, so AI ships and the like are still killable. You don't have to Bio Beam everyone. It's just more fun if you can.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I could roll with having Discount Deathrays be the biobeam ship. Shine a light into the heart of your enemies kinda thing.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Imagine, two bio beams and two burst IIs. Those spiders wouldn't stand a chance.

Also glad I could make it aboard in time and actually did something useful.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
I got to fly the ship briefly! I am the luckiest girl.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

This thread got me to pick this up. I'm still too scared to play on Normal, but I'm having a blast on Easy. I'd love to be a crew member on one of your POS ships! Sign me up as dancing bears, please.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJ_7nMShE0

Here is the first video for the Reclaimer - Slug A on hard. Please forgive my sloppy playing in the beginning. It took a little while for me to find my stride so a lot of mistakes were made initially.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
Ya know, my first successful Slug A run started more or less the same way: lucky Hull Blaster II. Maybe the RNG gods have a policy about that.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
I like your application of zero-sum theory to the RNG.

I think finding that scrap recovery arm that early is going to pay off big time. In my (admittedly limited) hard mode experience death usually came due to lack of money.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Unload My Head posted:

I like your application of zero-sum theory to the RNG.

He was joking, but it was just the Gambler's Fallacy, which doesn't involve a zero sum game.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBcAgKp9S5k

Part 2 of the Slug A Hard :)

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
So does anyone have an easy way to getting the crystal cruiser I'm having the worst luck with this

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

FailAtMagic posted:

So does anyone have an easy way to getting the crystal cruiser I'm having the worst luck with this

Use a rock ship, pick up long range scanners as soon as you can. If you can't get long range scanners in sector 1 or 2, start over.

Enter any and all distress beacons that have no ship detected - forget others if going to them prevents you from seeing other nodes.

If you get the damaged stasis pod, then go into any engi or zoltan sector you come across (trying to get the research facility). If there aren't any left, start over.

Enter the Rock homeworlds as soon as you get the crystal crew member, and hope you get the ancient device event.

If you start with the Rock C, then you don't have to deal with stasis chambers or anything, just go into all Rock homeworlds you can.

Otherwise just do what I did and beat all the ships on easy/advanced mode.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

Otherwise just do what I did and beat all the ships on easy/advanced mode.

This. You'll have a much better time learning and beating all the different ships then you will grinding the Rock Cruiser for hours on end.

Really enjoying this run, Professor. That moment with the O2 was something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

How many slug ships have I fought that had the O2 room blocked off from the rest of the ship? I must have never noticed. Welp time for another run.

• Locked thread