Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Doobie Keebler posted:

How many slug ships have I fought that had the O2 room blocked off from the rest of the ship? I must have never noticed. Welp time for another run.

I have never seen that many Slug Scouts in one run since they added a new type of slug ship in advanced addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Just caught up with all the videos and I'm going to sign myself up as fodder crew.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You are having the most amazing luck with weapon drops and O2 rooms this run. I honestly never, ever noticed that any ship had their 02 room without a door attached.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Slug ships with disconnected Oxygen were originally more common, but they may have been too exploitable, because they became less common with Advanced Edition. If memory serves, the reason some slug ships have oxygen rooms disconnected from the main body is that slugs are SUCH huge assholes that they don't even trust each other not to sabotage vital systems and murder the rest of the crew while off-ship or in EVA gear or something.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egO4kF9Z2kU

We took a relatively long break between the last video and this video, and this made my play a little rusty. I think I knock the rust off reasonably well, though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That was a little bit scary. This game knows how to hand you the keys to survival just at the last moment, though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Scruffy's gonna secure this ship from all types of nasty what have's you. Mmhmm.

(:argh:)

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Speleothing posted:

That was a little bit scary. This game knows how to hand you the keys to survival just at the last moment, though.

No it doesn't he is just really freaking lucky

No he isn't he is much better at the game than me :(

FailAtMagic fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 4, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

FailAtMagic posted:

No it doesn't he is just really freaking lucky.

I do consider myself pretty lucky this round. I made a ton of mistakes that I get to relive through editing. I think the reason I tend to do well on my recorded runs is because of the higher tendency to talk through what's going on and take more time to discuss options. In spite of the luck, I it's what I call a 'weird' luck, where the loot has been better than average but the sectors and events have been more lackluster. I'm drat lucky I haven't had any events that require a higher level medbay or a clone bay, though.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Scruffy's gonna secure this ship from all types of nasty what have's you. Mmhmm.

(:argh:)

:confused:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, hard mode is some serious tactical combat action. But oh my that vulcan.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3eYEIMer4

And thus concludes the flight of The Reclaimer. I clipped the audio a couple times and did what I could to repair it, so sorry in advance.

We've finished all the runs we plan on doing, so no more volunteers. I'm going to do the Captain's Edition next - depending on interest level its possible I'll just link the playlist and let this thread finally die :v:.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This may be a ridiculous thing to ask, but is there any way to calculate HOW many shots double Rabbi dodged in that run?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
AFAIK the game only tracks the all-time highest dodging pilot, which is listed on the stats screen at the end of the video.

Great run, Professor. I am thinking you should probably start a new LP thread for the Captain's Run anyway, this one is kind of a mess and the OP hasn't been updated in months.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Checking in to report interest, prof!

Either here or in a thread of your own is fine (though the latter may be preferable (to me (since I expect you'll be harassed into making an update index in the OP)))
:)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yeah, doing the captains edition stuff would be a good point to start a new thread.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

ProfessorBooty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3eYEIMer4

And thus concludes the flight of The Reclaimer. I clipped the audio a couple times and did what I could to repair it, so sorry in advance.

We've finished all the runs we plan on doing, so no more volunteers. I'm going to do the Captain's Edition next - depending on interest level its possible I'll just link the playlist and let this thread finally die :v:.

That was intense!

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Holy crap, that last battle was amazing. Double rabite was the best thing to happen, even better than that vulcan. Maybe.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I very much enjoy these runs. I am horrible at the game, so seeing someone get through the tense situations teaches me how to do it.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Wow what an exciting finale! Nice job Double Rabite and crew (and ProfessorBooty). I'm torn because on one hand I like the game to be exciting but I also love completely dunking the flagship with something crazy like 4 Flak I's.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, notice how you got half as much scrap that run as your best ever? That's the difference between Easy and Hard, right there.

Congrats on a hard-fought victory! I look forward to the Captain's Edition thread when it goes live; be sure to link it here.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The Reclaimer reclaims victory from the cold black hull breach and the blazes of fire.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm definitely interested in seeing you play some more, either in this thread or a new one.

---

Sometimes this game's AI makes me laugh.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!
Definitely wanting more of this, it lets me complete runs vicariously

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sometimes this game's AI makes me laugh.

I.

I just.

What.

HOW.

THE DOOR NEXT TO YOU IS OPEN.

WHY LITTLE MANTIS WHY?

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I would like to see some play with the Crystal ship.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
Has anyone been using the captains mod? I've been getting virus warnings when trying to use the mod manager.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
So hey - here's the deal:

Making a new thread isn't really in the cards. We finished the last FTL run, and there won't be that many videos left, so to make a whole new thread would be silly - granted, if I did know I was going to make 9+ runs, I would have made a new thread from the beginning. Once Kidneyman joined we just played together because we enjoyed the hell out of it. At this point we are tired of FTL and we want to start a new project.

Another issue is that I was trying to mess with how we recorded audio for the Captain's Edition runs, thinking that I could fix any little issues we might have in post. Well, I can make the audio inoffensive, but I don't think its quite up to the standards of quality we enjoy in the LP subforum.

We're going to be playing and practising another game together for a while (no time frame), and while we're doing that I'm going to mess with how we record audio until I get it where I want it to be without nearly as much fiddling around as I've gotten used to, that way when we do the stuff I plan on publishing, it will be in good shape.

I can post the last videos here (the audio isn't *so* bad, it is kind of bad), or I can post them on Youtube at the same interval (Tuesdays and Fridays, until I'm out). Or I can let things sort of just die here. I'm sorry folks :( . The good news is the other game will involve a challenging run of sorts, and audience participation, and the chance for all the Double Rabites and Karate Bastards to (more or less randomly) shine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I.

I just.

What.

HOW.

THE DOOR NEXT TO YOU IS OPEN.

WHY LITTLE MANTIS WHY?

It seems that enemies just pick a place they want to go and then they go there taking the shortest route possible, without regard for which doors are open.

A bit later I got a boarder in the top spot of the sensor room, so I vented the room using the lower door. Once the air was gone, he started attacking the top door.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Carbon dioxide posted:

It seems that enemies just pick a place they want to go and then they go there taking the shortest route possible, without regard for which doors are open.

A bit later I got a boarder in the top spot of the sensor room, so I vented the room using the lower door. Once the air was gone, he started attacking the top door.
Why have I not noticed this behavior before.

I could have been exploiting this.

:psyduck:

Why.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Boarders will also always try to consolidate if they can, so e.g. if the enemy has mind-controlled one of your units, then his boarders will try to get to the same room the mind-controlled guy is in, and will completely ignore your guys until they get there. Which makes it easy to shoot them in the back while they slowly break down doors.

(Note: I haven't tested this extensively since the opportunity is pretty rare, but it does seem to work)

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Ah, that explains that behavior in the latest run, we saw that happening there. Nice! Not exploitable, really, but pretty cool.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ProfessorBooty posted:

I can post the last videos here (the audio isn't *so* bad, it is kind of bad)

Hit me up with someothat good stuff bro.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

So hey - here's the deal:

Making a new thread isn't really in the cards. We finished the last FTL run, and there won't be that many videos left, so to make a whole new thread would be silly - granted, if I did know I was going to make 9+ runs, I would have made a new thread from the beginning. Once Kidneyman joined we just played together because we enjoyed the hell out of it. At this point we are tired of FTL and we want to start a new project.

Another issue is that I was trying to mess with how we recorded audio for the Captain's Edition runs, thinking that I could fix any little issues we might have in post. Well, I can make the audio inoffensive, but I don't think its quite up to the standards of quality we enjoy in the LP subforum.

We're going to be playing and practising another game together for a while (no time frame), and while we're doing that I'm going to mess with how we record audio until I get it where I want it to be without nearly as much fiddling around as I've gotten used to, that way when we do the stuff I plan on publishing, it will be in good shape.

I can post the last videos here (the audio isn't *so* bad, it is kind of bad), or I can post them on Youtube at the same interval (Tuesdays and Fridays, until I'm out). Or I can let things sort of just die here. I'm sorry folks :( . The good news is the other game will involve a challenging run of sorts, and audience participation, and the chance for all the Double Rabites and Karate Bastards to (more or less randomly) shine.

I would like it if you did post them here, at least I would watch them. But if you're not happy putting them out for whatever reason, then don't, it's your call captain :)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKLJHVyAj-8

The Sitting Duck. Starring logger, in the Stealth B.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I have no words for that run.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hahahaha. Looking good.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I've never played Captain's Edition myself, but from what little I've seen and read about it, one of the main defining gameplay features is that the weapon roster has been hugely expanded: there's lasers specialized to do anti-personnel damage, lasers that only do hull damage but not system damage, lasers that pierce exactly two levels of shielding, etc. All the new content is made just by working with existing FTL properties, tags, event-actions and augment-detections.

The weapon that ended the run was an Adaptive Focus Beam, an early-game terror. Focus beams as a class are basically a normal mini beam that only has a length of a couple pixels, meaning it can only target one room... but it charges up fairly quickly. The Adaptive Focus Beam is a chaining weapon, too... which means that after firing a couple of times it suddenly turns into a tiny Halberd beam.

...So yeah, that run was a perfect storm that ended in a pretty sad way. If there were three crew members, repairs could have gone better, if the weapons were destroyed the encounter could have been won, and so on and so forth. The early-game is often the most dangerous time.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what other new events were added, since it can get kind of old giving the 50th civilian his 3 fuel.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
"The Sitting Duck". Prophetic. Still, the new stuff captured my interest at least! Looking forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I started trying Captain's Edition a few days' back, and man Normal mode starts are rough. Meanwhile Easy is, if anything, even more trivial than the unmodded game. The mod loves to play with the pursuit level -- there are lots of options for slowing the Rebels down or speeding them up. On Easy you can usually win the encounters with Rebel capital ships which give you tons of extra time, which means more time to explore sectors, which makes you even more powerful.

The impression I've gotten from the mod on the whole is that there are a lot more shield-piercing weapons, but the weapons that don't pierce shields have been significantly weakened. I don't think any of the ships starts out with more than a 2-shot laser volley, for example. The Flak I only fires 2 projectiles and takes longer to charge than the Burst Laser 2 (which is unchanged!). Most of the missiles are multishot. There's a ton more antipersonnel weapons -- for example, the Slug A starts with 2 shield-piercing "light lasers" that fire 3 shots which each do 15 damage to crew, as well as a "bio bomb" that does 60 damage to crew and charges very quickly. However its only option for systems and hull damage is a standard double laser, which means it needs an upgrade to cope with any ship with 2 shield bubbles.

In general the changes seem to be well-done, though I must confess I don't see the appeal of trading, especially given the time commitment.

• Locked thread