Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

More games need a Random Fish Generator.

But the real question is, can you revert the fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That E99 under the barrel is absurdly well hidden. Come on Raven, that's just nasty. Gotta love procedural floppy fish and the dynamic aging effects (they're great every time). In a game with a Call of Duty style megabudget they could have used that dynamic aging tech to un-age the environment everytime an E99 explosion occurs (phase tick, E99 barrels, E99 infused grenades, etc.) - how awesome would that have looked?

Also it's funny how this get-into-boat-for-macguffin-and-get-out-as-it-sinks works so well, when the nearly identical sequence in Shadow Warrior 1 (remake) was one of the worst sequences. I guess it's because it's fairly short?

I think you're almost at my favorite enemy design too.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 21, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Can you launch the fish with the TMD?

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'll be honest, if I was playing the game, that grenade launcher would be permanently equipped. I don't care it's ineffective, it's really cool. That said, the Pearl looks like an awesome level, and the random generated fish is a nice touch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm going to assume that the bomb itself doesn't disintegrate along with the rest of the ship because even in the present time it's useable as a weapon.

Gotta admire Demechev's men's dedication. An unstable ship with a bunch of mutants teleporting on board and they still won't bail out!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe in Demichev's Russia, murderous Commissars are stilla thing? After all, it doesn't matter how scary the thing in front of them is if you have someone scarier behind them :commissar:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
This seems appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo

Is it to much to hope that you'll find a statue with a Demichev head that you can revert to a Lenin head?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I also had no idea you could use phase ticks to turn soldiers into Reverts.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Using old 2009 beta footage of the Central Docks chapter, I show how Singularity was originally more focused on puzzles and experimentation, but became a more straightforward shooter-with-powers for its final 2010 release.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

your evil twin posted:

Using old 2009 beta footage of the Central Docks chapter, I show how Singularity was originally more focused on puzzles and experimentation, but became a more straightforward shooter-with-powers for its final 2010 release.

Intriguing indeed. I love when Goons doing LP's find all sorts of neat off the map stuff like that beta footage.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
YET loving up Russians no matter what alternate universe they inhabit. There is no escape, comrade :ussr:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That original rust effect on the ship looked so much cooler.

But I suppose it was also too subtle. You want the player to notice stuff like that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The time-ghost effects look much better in that footage. And much scarier instead of blue exposition bots ripped straight from Bioshock.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think you mean System Shock 2.

:goonsay:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looks like they made the character a hell of a lot faster too with the increased gunplay.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

We wake in Barisov's hide-out at the edge of the E99 Processing Complex, and learn that although we have the E99 bomb from the sunken freighter, the mission wasn't a complete success. We've lost Kathryn, and the bomb is no longer properly charged. To recharge it we must reach the Cooker at the heart of the complex, which means navigating the creature-infested service tunnels and canals...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mmm! Time to eat some nice poached phase tick and watch another great YET video!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Speedball posted:

Mmm! Time to eat some nice poached phase tick and watch another great YET video!

You eat poached. I will have mine grilled and sliced on good black bread with onion.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

your evil twin posted:

We wake in Barisov's hide-out at the edge of the E99 Processing Complex, and learn that although we have the E99 bomb from the sunken freighter, the mission wasn't a complete success. We've lost Kathryn, and the bomb is no longer properly charged. To recharge it we must reach the Cooker at the heart of the complex, which means navigating the creature-infested service tunnels and canals...

Also, could you please stop embarassing me by reminding me with EVERY video all the E99 tech and weapon mods I have missed, YET? PLEASE?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I got stuck for about 20 minutes at that door at the end before finally realizing the solution and felt pretty dumb afterwards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Uggh, it's a trope as old as film, but the idea of getting your foot caught underwater creeps me right the gently caress out.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
huh, i read the couple the other way around

YET floods that tunnel, and swimming through passes a corpse with a foot caught in a partial cave-in

then encounters the hanging corpse with multiple medkits on the floor next to it and the last words of a person who got their leg caught in a partial cave-in

Ilena returns with the medicine, only to find her husband dead because she took too long, and so she hung herself after listening to his audiolog

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Edminster posted:

huh, i read the couple the other way around

YET floods that tunnel, and swimming through passes a corpse with a foot caught in a partial cave-in

then encounters the hanging corpse with multiple medkits on the floor next to it and the last words of a person who got their leg caught in a partial cave-in

Ilena returns with the medicine, only to find her husband dead because she took too long, and so she hung herself after listening to his audiolog

Huh, yeah I guess that could work as well!

Though the guy says his leg was crushed, not that his leg was still trapped. I don't think Illena would go off looking for medicine if his leg was actually still stuck under rubble, instead would spend the time and effort digging him out. Also, the recording made clear that the guy "could not go on without her" (would kill himself), and there's no way for the person with the trapped foot to kill themself.

I did think it was an odd coincidence that the guy was injured by getting his foot crushed, and Illena got killed by getting her foot trapped... so you might have a point!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sad times either way.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

While making our way to the Hydro Generator we encounter the Fatty Zek mini-boss, that revives dead Zeks by giving them fresh Soul Leeches. Once we've got the generator online we then have to deal with a massive assault by Demichev's forces!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, good old Zeks. I love these guys as an enemy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why would there be a canal system in this place?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Samovar posted:

Isn't it connected to a dock / shipyard? Seems like they'd have a need to move a lot of water around pretty quickly, dry docks and whatnot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Samovar posted:

Also, you know, the hydrogenerator?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A canal system right next to the huge drop which the bridge goes over.

You would think one would preclude the other.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

A canal system right next to the huge drop which the bridge goes over.

You would think one would preclude the other.
That's actually pretty realistic as far as Soviet planning went. Either do nothing about the problem or solve it excessively and ideally to extinction.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

That's actually pretty realistic as far as Soviet planning went. Either do nothing about the problem or solve it excessively and ideally to extinction.

If you can't murder your problems then why bother trying to fix them at all?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Happy New Year everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84scEeRMsYI

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus. I tried to get the game to run on my computer with never any success.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I remember when it came out and I tried to install it, I spent so drat long trying every possible combination of interrupt setting but I never had any luck.

Annoyed the hell out of a friend by playing it at his place. At the time, it just looked incredible.

Never even knew it had a Christmas easter egg.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Which one came first, No Remorse or No Regret? Never played either, but I heard about them a lot back in the day.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Speedball posted:

Which one came first, No Remorse or No Regret? Never played either, but I heard about them a lot back in the day.

No Remorse came first in 1995, with No Regret in '96. Console ports of No Remorse came out in 1997. Talk about a retro game that needs a do-over... :sigh:

Also, we owe Chris Roberts for luring Tony Zurovec to Wing Commander land. :sigh:^2

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 9, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Speedball posted:

No Remorse,I believe.

Edit::ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think I said it before, but it's really odd how some of the voice actors actually speak Russian, while others are just doing their best to enunciate a bunch of letters strung together into what they consider to be gibberish.

Also - man, three years. How time flies.

• Locked thread