Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Van Dine posted:

ViggyNash, I love your tennis posts about Baby Steps.

I think the latest episode's cliffhanger is the toughest one so far. I'm not sure I'll be able to stop myself reading the manga to find out what happened before next week's episode. I find the characters in this series very refreshing, because for the most part they're not total idiots.

At some point anyone who was watching the show will have jumped to the manga and will be way ahead of me and so all of my posts will be super belated. That's a bit depressing somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I don't actually know how to read, so I'm just watching the anime and probably won't be jumping onto the manga any time soon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ViggyNash posted:

At some point anyone who was watching the show will have jumped to the manga and will be way ahead of me and so all of my posts will be super belated. That's a bit depressing somehow.

I've read what is translated of the manga so far and I still really enjoy your posts so don't worry about it. :)

glomkettle posted:

I don't actually know how to read, so I'm just watching the anime and probably won't be jumping onto the manga any time soon.

Uhhh, did you think we were all reading the japanese version or something? Because I'm pretty sure most of us are reading the fan translated version up on Batoto. :v:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

No, I just never learned how to read. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

glomkettle posted:

No, I just never learned how to read. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes.

There's a chrome plugin that can read text out of images, you could combine that with text-to-speech and get it to read the manga to you that would work for you. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
No more tennis education posts Viggy? Or have you not had the chance to watch the latest Baby Steps?

Anyway I liked the latest episode. Maruo may have won by a fluke but a win is a win. At least he managed to get his racket up in time, otherwise he would have lost. I liked Takuya's expression when Maruo won, just disgusted at him winning in such an awkward way.

I'm really looking forward to the next few episodes, we will be seeing one of Ei-chan's most interesting and eccentric opponents, it should be fun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry, had a small crisis and didn't have a chance to watch the latest episode, until now.

First, some technical details:

This is an approach shot. It's an aggressive shot used as you move up to the net. Since you're taking the ball early but still have most of the power of a groundstroke and have more options in terms of angles, it's a really good way to throw your opponent off before you finish the point with a volley. It was a neat trick, waiting till the second to last point to pull this.

:stare: What the gently caress is that? It sure as hell isn't how you hit a lob.

In general, there are two ways to hit a lob:
1) Offensive lob: Where you hit the ball in a high, arcing loop over your opponent's head, but with enough top spin to make it land near the baseline.
2) Deffensive lob: Where you just kinda throw your racket out and it happens to hit the ball upwards because you were sprinting for the ball and hope it lands somewhere in the court.
What's Miyagawa doing? Trying to hit someone's car in the parking lot nearby.

Now for some match analysis:

It really shouldn't bother me that much since this is a good idea (as we saw at the end of last episode), but nearly the entire time I was watching this episode, I was thinking, "Hit a drat drop shot already!"

Here's why: Eventually, Miyagawa will get somewhat used to Eichiro coming to net, and will figure out what shots he needs to hit to get by him, namely passing shots and short-angle cross court shots, both of which he started doing later on. Regardless of what Eichiro is doing, Miyagawa is still in his preferred position.
However, a drop shot would force him to come forward and put him in an extremely unfavorable position. On top of that, Eichiro can use his high level of accuracy to then hit the same passing shots and short-angle shots that Miyagawa starting using this episode. They would be much more effective for Eichiro than they were for Miyagawa.

:cripes:

This is shameful. Just shameful.

First of all, this is Miyagawa's first serve. You don't take chances on a first serve. That's what second serves are for. In general, a player's first serve is their biggest weapon because it gives them control of the whole point right off the bat. It's often very difficult for a returner to win points off a first serve. Secondly, hitting an inside-out forehand (running around a ball when it should be a backhand) takes a lot of time to set up and for that very reason is a really stupid idea unless you have the agility, speed, and technique to pull it off. You don't even see pros doing it very often. That was ENTIRELY your fault Ei.

Miyagawa is a relatively experienced player, so this should have that much of an effect on him. However, he's had an extremely stressful set that really hasn't gone the way he'd planned and they're at the butt end of a tight tiebreak; maybe he just wasn't thinking straight or was just really tired. So it did affect him and he did gently caress up. Oh well. :shrug: Guess Ei's stupidity paid off.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maruo may have won by a fluke but a win is a win. At least he managed to get his racket up in time, otherwise he would have lost.

I guess it was kind of a fluke, but I also think it was entirely possible that Miyagawa's approach shot could have been out. He had practiced, and all but perfected, hitting groundstrokes from the baseline. So what do you think would happen if he suddenly tried to hit a shot from the service line?

HOWEVER, if the ball had hit Ei, it would automatically have been Miyagawa's point. This Q&A will clear up any questions more thoroughly than I could.

All in all, good job Ei. He worked for that win, and he deserved it.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I liked Takuya's expression when Maruo won, just disgusted at him winning in such an awkward way.

Also:

They gave him the best faces this episode.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Sorry, had a small crisis and didn't have a chance to watch the latest episode, until now.

Ahh, sorry about asking, I just really look forward to you analysis each week. :)

ViggyNash posted:

:stare: What the gently caress is that? It sure as hell isn't how you hit a lob.

In general, there are two ways to hit a lob:
1) Offensive lob: Where you hit the ball in a high, arcing loop over your opponent's head, but with enough top spin to make it land near the baseline.
2) Deffensive lob: Where you just kinda throw your racket out and it happens to hit the ball upwards because you were sprinting for the ball and hope it lands somewhere in the court.
What's Miyagawa doing? Trying to hit someone's car in the parking lot nearby.

Maybe his form is crap because he always uses full power swings? I imagine something like a lob is pretty hard for a player like him. :v:

ViggyNash posted:

:cripes:

This is shameful. Just shameful.

First of all, this is Miyagawa's first serve. You don't take chances on a first serve. That's what second serves are for. In general, a player's first serve is their biggest weapon because it gives them control of the whole point right off the bat. It's often very difficult for a returner to win points off a first serve. Secondly, hitting an inside-out forehand (running around a ball when it should be a backhand) takes a lot of time to set up and for that very reason is a really stupid idea unless you have the agility, speed, and technique to pull it off. You don't even see pros doing it very often. That was ENTIRELY your fault Ei.

I loved the crowd reaction here. Ahhh well, I suppose new players, especially ones as new as Ei-chan make blunders like this pretty often. I guess the upside is that he is trying new things and taking risks when what he is already doing does not work out.

ViggyNash posted:

Miyagawa is a relatively experienced player, so this should have that much of an effect on him. However, he's had an extremely stressful set that really hasn't gone the way he'd planned and they're at the butt end of a tight tiebreak; maybe he just wasn't thinking straight or was just really tired. So it did affect him and he did gently caress up. Oh well. :shrug: Guess Ei's stupidity paid off.

Ehhh, I've seen top level pros get thrown off their game by various things happening during a match. I think I remember one time where one of the Williams sisters made a whole mess of errors after her opponent suffered an injury, so I can see things going awry for a junior level player pretty easily, especially given the situation.

ViggyNash posted:

HOWEVER, if the ball had hit Ei, it would automatically have been Miyagawa's point. This Q&A will clear up any questions more thoroughly than I could.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to when I said that it was good that he got his racket up in time. :p

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, I've seen top level pros get thrown off their game by various things happening during a match. I think I remember one time where one of the Williams sisters made a whole mess of errors after her opponent suffered an injury, so I can see things going awry for a junior level player pretty easily, especially given the situation.

Yeah, they aren't all mentally strong enough to let mind games get to them, and even Federer has a breaking point, but Miyagawa's situation was kind of drastic and, in my opinion, a little contrived to create drama. If Ei had succeeded with that return I could see him suddenly developing a complex, but since he missed in the most spectacular fashion possible I really can't imagine that really happening.

And about the Williams sisters... yeah...
Her sister Venus is a rather low key person, but Serena is pretty hotheaded sometimes.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Oh crap, I made a terrible mistake... I got impatient with Baby Steps, and started reading the manga, and 3 days later I have binged up to the latest chapter released in English and now that I am up to date its a much MUCH harder wait than it would be for the episodes!

This is going to suck immensely :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FiftySeven posted:

Oh crap, I made a terrible mistake... I got impatient with Baby Steps, and started reading the manga, and 3 days later I have binged up to the latest chapter released in English and now that I am up to date its a much MUCH harder wait than it would be for the episodes!

one of us... one of us... One Of Us! ONE OF US!!!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Is it really that hard to animate the faces behind the net so everyone doesn't look like their heads are fused into the net? So lazy, Haikyu animators.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shakugan posted:

Is it really that hard to animate the faces behind the net so everyone doesn't look like their heads are fused into the net? So lazy, Haikyu animators.

Maybe this is a jokepost but if you're talking about how the net in front of their faces gets erased, I'd imagine that's actually more work. It's intentional, they want to show the whole face. It'd be dead simple to just throw their faces behind a net layer.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't have the time to do an info-post right now, but there was some interesting stuff in this episode that I'll mention.

First of all, that famous tennis academy in Florida that Mike's from? It's a real place, and well worth mentioning.
Secondly, there's quite a bit to talk about on the topic of racket stringing. The show just passes it over though, which is a shame since it could be used as a small drama element to decent effect, at least.
Thridly, Iwasa already seems like a weird dude. I can't wait to see this weird style he has.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Maybe this is a jokepost but if you're talking about how the net in front of their faces gets erased, I'd imagine that's actually more work. It's intentional, they want to show the whole face. It'd be dead simple to just throw their faces behind a net layer.

If it's intentional, it's stupid. Isn't it more likely that they just have a bunch of background shots that have the net and the backdrop that they can reuse over and over, and they just paste the face of the player onto that image instead of blending them in behind the net?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

If it's intentional, it's stupid. Isn't it more likely that they just have a bunch of background shots that have the net and the backdrop that they can reuse over and over, and they just paste the face of the player onto that image instead of blending them in behind the net?

Take a look at Baby Steps, where every court has the same fence and they don't erase space for the faces looking through it. Because it's always the same they can just draw and color it once and then just layer it into every new scene they make. In Haikyu they have to change the net they layer over the faces each time to get the look they want. It's more work, but they have more money and manpower to work with.

The look pays off if you don't think about anime as being a perfect representation of real life. I think the idea is that they're just showing a representation of what it would be like to remember seeing someone's face through a net. You wouldn't remember the net, you'd remember the person's face.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Has anybody been paying attention to Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro? I have no idea about sumo nor that much about its place in modern Japan, so I've been interested in watching a show about it (that is actually being translated!). I'm also interested in seeing how an rear end in a top hat protagonist like Matsutaro has anything to do with what I assume is a highly-respected sport.

Is the show alright and maybe worth buying a crunchyroll subscription to watch?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Take a look at Baby Steps, where every court has the same fence and they don't erase space for the faces looking through it. Because it's always the same they can just draw and color it once and then just layer it into every new scene they make. In Haikyu they have to change the net they layer over the faces each time to get the look they want. It's more work, but they have more money and manpower to work with.

The look pays off if you don't think about anime as being a perfect representation of real life. I think the idea is that they're just showing a representation of what it would be like to remember seeing someone's face through a net. You wouldn't remember the net, you'd remember the person's face.

In real life our eyes can focus onto faces behind fences and nets, but you can't recreate that phenomenon as easily in a 2D medium so they do the erasing as a way of letting you see the faces in focus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

EagerSleeper posted:

Has anybody been paying attention to Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro? I have no idea about sumo nor that much about its place in modern Japan, so I've been interested in watching a show about it (that is actually being translated!). I'm also interested in seeing how an rear end in a top hat protagonist like Matsutaro has anything to do with what I assume is a highly-respected sport.

Is the show alright and maybe worth buying a crunchyroll subscription to watch?
Not at all. I couldn't make it more than a few episodes in because the main character is a stupid, lazy, unfunny rear end in a top hat. Literally the least likeable character imaginable. And if he changes, it isn't quickly.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I gave Matsutaro around seven episodes, by which point a serious sumo match still hadn't really happened. It seems more focused on being a comedy than a sports show, which might be all right if it was at all funny.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 26, 2014

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So... what'd you all do during our break? :v: One of the things I did was watch Haikyu!!; watched the first episode out of boredom more than anything else, and finished everything within a day. Am now flip-flopping on whether or not to read the manga or wait for the rest of the show, because I don't know if it would be the same without the animation, voice acting, and score, all of which are better than they have any right to be.

Perhaps I should check out Yowamushi Pedal as well...

e: Just an expression that they were very good, Eeevil, wasn't implying nothing.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 26, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

So... what'd you all do during our break? :v: One of the things I did was watch Haikyu!!; watched the first episode out of boredom more than anything else, and finished everything within a day. Am now flip-flopping on whether or not to read the manga or wait for the rest of the show, because I don't know if it would be the same without the animation, voice acting, and score, all of which are better than they have any right to be.

i read the haikyu!! manga up to where the anime is and i like the anime more. i was having a lot of trouble telling the characters apart in the manga. i dont know if it was the style or im just retarded but i am sticking with the anime for now.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

resurgam40 posted:

Why does a great manga not have the right to be made into a great anime?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

FiftySeven posted:

It doesn't get better even if one reads moon language; I've sworn off reading weekly raws just so I can get more "closure" out of the volume formats.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

You should. Like Haikyu!! it has a huge cast of great characters, and I think it does an even better job of bouncing them off one another. It's not as smoothly animated but it has a lot of charm. Oh, and every episode has an an extra scene after the credits that's usually pretty funny.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The short post-credits scene in each Yowamushi Pedal episode really go a long way in fleshing out the characters a little bit as well. Especially since it's fun to see the cast goof around when not biking.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 29, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

This was adorable :kimchi:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Crunchyroll subs for the last few episodes of Haikyuu seem to have taken a bit of nosedive. Some of the wording is awkward and there are so many drat typos, yeesh.

The best case for dropping honorifics in translation I've ever seen.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just utterly butchering the nuance driven script of Haikyu!!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Just utterly butchering the nuance driven script of Haikyu!!

Just because it's a silly sports show doesn't mean it's an excuse for incompetency!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While people give Crunchyroll undeserved flak for a lot of things, Haikyuu definitely veers into word salad on occasion and I wish it didn't!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

The Devil Tesla posted:

You should. Like Haikyu!! it has a huge cast of great characters, and I think it does an even better job of bouncing them off one another. It's not as smoothly animated but it has a lot of charm. Oh, and every episode has an an extra scene after the credits that's usually pretty funny.

I did, and you're right! :3: Onoda is a great protagonist, and the team is, as you said, great, as are the little end stories. I've finished nine episodes so far, and even if I knew on an intellectual level there was no way Onoda could have completed that race (and that he was able to race that hard up a peak, and actually beat super serious, I-don't-have-a-B-game Imaizumi there, is nothing short of phenomenal), I was sort of melancholic that he wasn't able to keep up. So I guess this author is good at raising stakes, huh?

Greatest part, no question... Well, the part with Tanaka and... um, Rooster Dude bonding over Kiyoko was great too. It is gratifying to know that the "rival" teem has a bunch of silly buggers in it too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since I didn't get to do a Baby Steps infopost last week, I'll have a double feature today...

...once I get to watch the newest episode.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Since I didn't get to do a Baby Steps infopost last week, I'll have a double feature today...

...once I get to watch the newest episode.

Looking forward to it! :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Last week's episode:

Mike:
The Nick Bollittieri Tennis Academy (aka IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy), located on the west coast of Florida, is perhaps the most prestigious tennis academy in the world, having trained the likes of Maria Sharapova, Andre Agassi, and Boris Becker, along with a long list of equally successful and prolific professional players.

So a high level tennis coach from Florida that works with pros? Mike's probably a coach at the Bollettieri academy.

Racket Stringing:
The strings of a racket are just as important, if not more so, as the racket you play with. When you choose a racket, you generally look for weight, weight balance, head size, grip size, string pattern, and material, all of which change how the racket swings and feels. With strings you need to look for softness, material/design, roughness, width, and whether you are using only one string or a hybrid setup. On top of that, you need to determine what tension to keep the strings at and whether or not to prestretch the string. All of these factors can change the feel, spin, and power of a shot. For example, Federer uses a very small racket (90 sq. in.) with a dense string pattern and very loose strings; that gives him a great combination of control and power that requires a high amount of precise control, which Federer has in abundance. On the other hand, Nadal is focused purely on maximizing spin, so he uses a larger racket with an open string pattern and rougher, more taut strings.

Stringing a racket is something anyone can do if they have the right tools, the most essential of which is the stringing machine. They can range from a couple hundred to well into the thousands of dollars, and come in a couple of types: dropweights, "lockout" mechanisms, and electronic pullers. My(dad's) stringing machine was of the dropweight kind, which isn't very accurate but is relatively cheap. But a couple years ago I(my dad) dropped several hundred on a standalone electronic puller that we could attach to the rails on the machine. It's much more accurate and much easier and faster to use. I've never seen the mechanism type and I'm not even sure how they work, so I couldn't tell you much about them.

This week's episode:

:psyduck:

What the gently caress?

I didn't know playing tennis by drawing was a real thing, and Iwasa takes it to the farthest extreme by drawing Van Gogh and Monet. But I guess confusing the gently caress out of your opponent can be a viable strategy.

But he does have skill. From what everyone's been saying about him, that he has amazing technique and can hit anything from anywhere, sounds a lot like Federer, and we know how successful he is. What's holding Iwasa back is what his coach was talking about : he puts his drawing before his tennis. So, as Iwasa himself noted, a better player will wreck him quick and easy without him having much of a chance to fight back, but he'll walk right through anyone not good enough to keep up. But when he got serious...

To be able to hit the ball consistently that deep and with that kind of variety is a very difficult thing, especially with the kind of power he's hitting them with. Ei's going to need quite the plan to beat him.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

Last week's episode:

Mike:
The Nick Bollittieri Tennis Academy (aka IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy), located on the west coast of Florida, is perhaps the most prestigious tennis academy in the world, having trained the likes of Maria Sharapova, Andre Agassi, and Boris Becker, along with a long list of equally successful and prolific professional players.

So a high level tennis coach from Florida that works with pros? Mike's probably a coach at the Bollettieri academy.

I've been really enjoying your tennis effort posts please continue to do so. Just wanted to share this very small spoiler to point out you're right on target and I like the realism the author has gone to.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I challenge ViggyNash to do these tennis infoposts for a few episodes of Prince of Tennis.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, I've always wondered if it was legal to create gravitational singularities with your racket at Wimbleton.

• Locked thread