Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Description of an infamious episode of the late 1960s adaptaion of Star of the Giants, the first sports manga anime adaption, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:

quote:

[The episode] builds the tension on the pitcher’s mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potentially infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives — the inner monologue of the pitcher himself and the calculating throughs of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitchers father and dewey-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena, sudden zooms and splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode, cutting to the commercial break just as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. After the commercials, the episode continues with a similar hyperreal deformation of time, pursuing the ball’s trajectory towards the batter, the bat’s connection with the ball, and the frenzy of action among both teams as the batter hits a homerun.

There’s a huge amount of sports manga adaptions coming out this season, so I’ve rounded them up in this thread for you!

Haikyu!!

Sport: Volleyball

Description: Shorty with mad jumps (Shōyō Hinata) is enamored enough with vollyball to somehow keep alive a middle school boys volleyball team where he is the only permanent member. In high school he ends up on a team with his rival, a setter with a bad attitude nicknamed “The King of the Court” (Tobio Kageyama).

Burning Spirit: MAX

Gay: 5 out of 5 doujinshi

More notes: It’s by Production I.G., and like their other sports anime it’s rather pretty. And this time it isn't boring as hell

Watch it on Crunchyroll

Baby Steps

Sport: Tennis

Description: Honor student with helarious hair Eiichirō Maruo checks out tennis club as a way to get more exercise, becomes friends with Natsu Takasaki: a girl (!!??) who’s trying to become a professional player.

Dork level: 5 out of 5 Desk-kuns. Ei-chan’s superpower is taking freakishly detailed notes, which he applies to tennis.

Gay: With male and female leads, this looks like the least gay sports anime since Chihayafuru.

Watch it on Crunchyroll

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro

Sport: Sumo wrestling

Description: Matsutarō Sakaguchi is gross, an idiot, and a giant rear end in a top hat. In the first episode he bullies test answers in the middle of a test and literally steals candy from a baby, and like I’m leaving off the stuff he does that’s even less likable. We haven't gotten to actual sumo wrestling yet but if he continues to be so amazingly pathetic this might be the best thing.

Watch it on Crunchyroll

Two other shows already have their own threads:

Ping Pong

Thread here! Non english speaking countries can grab it on Crunchyroll. Americans can grab it from Funimation.

Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal)

Here's the thread. This one started in the fall, and it's continuing into this spring. Watch it on Crunchyroll

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh, and that book I pulled the quote from, Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements, is really great and you should check it out!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

I apologize if this doesnt belong in the thread because its not from this season, but does anyone watch Ace of the Diamond around here?

Thanks for bringing it up actually. The only reason it isn't in the OP is that I haven't seen it, and I haven't seen it cause I was kind of under the impression that it was boring? I'll check it out though.

laplace posted:

Haikyu is moving at a respectable pace and it is still impressing me with its overall sense of visual metaphor and animation direction. On top of that, every member of the team is perfectly cast.

I don't have much to say that wouldn't devolve into babble so I'm just gonna say I'm glad they're moving this quickly and are maintaining the bar of quality.

I like that literally the first practice and a few things after that counts as moving quickly. Sports anime!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I realized while watching the second episode that the female lead in Baby Steps is basically a jock who bullies notes out of a dork before bullying her way into his heart 💕.

The second ep of Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro was pretty average until the last scene, where the main character finally gets clocked in the face.

XboxPants posted:

It is great but I was annoyed by the pace. Maybe a side-effect of an action-packed pilot.

I joked about Haikyu!!'s pace, but there was more than enough going on in that episode even though it wasn't over that long of a time frame. A bunch of characters got good introductions, the dialog was snappy and filled the whole half hour, and the stakes of the next episode were set. It's not economic storytelling by any means but there were no unearned stretches of nothing or repetition for the sake of filler. And there were a bunch of people getting hit in the face with a volleyball, that counts for a lot.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I dunno I'm just playing tennis :shrug:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm p sure that's literally all there is to know about soccer.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eeevil posted:

Matsutaro is a weird show so far. The plot has been pretty dumb and visually it's fairly mediocre, but somehow there hasn't been anything about it that's made me want to stop watching it. I am sad that the trend of something terrible happening to Matsutaro at the end of every episode didn't continue, though.

It might be barely animated but what's there has a lot of character, and the script is pretty bad but it's also really likable. I'm completely puzzled about why manga that ended over a decade ago with no merch potential is getting an anime, and like the rest of Toei's shows this season it feels like there's talent working on it but they're so overworked that only flashes of good stuff come through. It's a weird combination and it makes the show kind of unpredictable, and I'm so down for this ride.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Volleyball delinquent :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, yea, Ping Pong is a rare breed prestige production while these are the consumable products of the anime/manga industrial complex. They're working on different levels. Although the comparison is doubly unfair in this case because Ping Pong is so loving fun in addition to being genius and unique.

Like there's definitely a place in the world for silly sports shows, but if you guys aren't watching Ping Pong in addition to this wow you're missing out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

One thing I really like about that show is you have the hotblooded guy and the calm, collected guy and...they're rivals with each other, instead of the protagonist. Sure, they yell at each other all the time but they both genuinely like Onoda. It's a neat twist on the usual rival types.

It's basically a romantic triangle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're generally called Omake and they've been in tons of anime and manga. What's cool about Yowapedia is that they have one at the end of every episode (in the place of "next time" bumpers), they're showing them on TV instead of saving them for the disks, and that they're actually kinda good instead of just a cheap time waster.

It also fits well with the series. Most episodes are these super dramatic race sequences, so there's no time for slice of life mucking around. Omake keep the show more well rounded.

Yowapedia is a deeply stupid show but it is a little bit genius.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

If it's intentional, it's stupid. Isn't it more likely that they just have a bunch of background shots that have the net and the backdrop that they can reuse over and over, and they just paste the face of the player onto that image instead of blending them in behind the net?

Take a look at Baby Steps, where every court has the same fence and they don't erase space for the faces looking through it. Because it's always the same they can just draw and color it once and then just layer it into every new scene they make. In Haikyu they have to change the net they layer over the faces each time to get the look they want. It's more work, but they have more money and manpower to work with.

The look pays off if you don't think about anime as being a perfect representation of real life. I think the idea is that they're just showing a representation of what it would be like to remember seeing someone's face through a net. You wouldn't remember the net, you'd remember the person's face.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

Perhaps I should check out Yowamushi Pedal as well...

You should. Like Haikyu!! it has a huge cast of great characters, and I think it does an even better job of bouncing them off one another. It's not as smoothly animated but it has a lot of charm. Oh, and every episode has an an extra scene after the credits that's usually pretty funny.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 29, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just utterly butchering the nuance driven script of Haikyu!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That whole scene is incredible, from beginning to end, but here you go (linked because you should really watch the episode!).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep of Haikyu!! OP and ED were kind of disappointing, not nearly as hype as the first ones. Episode wasn't as amazing as last week either, but as soon as they actually started playing volleyball in the last like three minutes it got good. Inter-highs in sports anime always take a long rear end time but as long as it's mostly volleyball I think we'll be in for a good ride.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, Haikyu!! was satisfying this week. Peanut gallery getting interrupted by a quick doesn't get old.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haikyu!! was so hype this week :woop:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was looking for that gif! Thank you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, Oikawa is such a good antagonist, and I just noticed that his voice actor is Hisoka in Hunter x Hunter and my god it's perfect.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

K. Flaps posted:

Anyone got an idea about the sales numbers for Haikyuu, and the likelihood of a second season?

Really well. It not pulling in the same numbers Free! did last year but it's really likely that we'll get another season.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not that weird for a show to take a year off to get enough manga material, so the next season will probably be in 2016.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'll check Chihayafuru out, but what the hell they are playing? Some traditional japanese card game? What is that?

It's called Karuta, but don't worry, the Anime doesn't expect you to know anything about it before you start watching. I'm pretty sure that everyone recommending it didn't know anything about the game before watching it either. The basics: players listen to a reader recite the first half of a poem, and then try to grab the card with the second half of the poem out of the cards in front of them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

At least Kuroko ended at a good spot. The pedal show stopped mid-loving-race.

To be fair, they're only taking a break for the summer, and will be back in October!

Ville Valo posted:

Absolutely love Haikyuu, but I'm goin' through Kuroko withdrawals. Is there any word on a third season air date? :ohdear:

Wikipedia says March 2015.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kuroko's Basketball is actually an adaptation of Scott Pilgrim, except this time Kagami has to defeat Kuroko's evil ex-teammates for a shot at his heart.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That episode of Haikyu was hype as hell.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode of Haikyu is so good! The pay off to "Eat a proper meal!" was amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
me irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was always a question of when instead of if, but it we don't know the date yet. :(

• Locked thread