Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shakugan posted:

I don't know if I can watch Haikyu because I despise the two main characters. One is a total rear end in a top hat (there's no "heart of gold" here, dude is a dick)

It's a pretty standard cliche in any kind of sports fiction where you have the one guy who needs to learn the value of teamwork and whatever (character growth!), but you might be relieved to know most of the rear end in a top hat stuff gets dropped pretty quickly.

On a related note, I've been loving the eyecatches in each episode. Because everyone in them are total dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

XboxPants posted:

Yowapeda does that same great idea and it's great there too. :3:

I think I'll need to check that out then. I love silly dorks, though they're especially great in Haikyuu because they all make excellent faces, no exceptions.

Tanaka is still number one though. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

XboxPants posted:

Yowapeda has a lot of really great dorky post-credit scenes so make sure not to miss those.

Oh, so they're like the blooper scenes in Kuroko? Cause those were really great, and it's too bad they were only included in the Blu-rays, even though most of those did show up in the tankoban manga chapters too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

They're generally called Omake and they've been in tons of anime and manga. What's cool about Yowapedia is that they have one at the end of every episode (in the place of "next time" bumpers), they're showing them on TV instead of saving them for the disks, and that they're actually kinda good instead of just a cheap time waster.

It also fits well with the series. Most episodes are these super dramatic race sequences, so there's no time for slice of life mucking around. Omake keep the show more well rounded.

Yowapedia is a deeply stupid show but it is a little bit genius.

Oh, I know what they're called, I was just more asking on their particular flavor. :shobon: I've only seen the first episode so far, but the scenes do seem to be going more in line with the ones in Kuroko.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Crunchyroll subs for the last few episodes of Haikyuu seem to have taken a bit of nosedive. Some of the wording is awkward and there are so many drat typos, yeesh.

The best case for dropping honorifics in translation I've ever seen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Just utterly butchering the nuance driven script of Haikyu!!

Just because it's a silly sports show doesn't mean it's an excuse for incompetency!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Sadly it feels like KB is going to end before it gets that silly.

Maybe if there's a college sequel.

Sounds like someone hasn't been keeping up with the manga. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Nah, I read the manga. KB is pretty silly but not Prince of Tennis silly. It's more Eyeshield 21, plenty of superhuman highschoolers but little outright magic.

Yeah, I agree with that, but there's still the zone mk. II that's getting hyped up, so I'd say there's still a tiny room for doubt.

I fell off following Prince of Tennis really early on, so I always assumed stuff like killing the dinosaurs were just really elaborate visual metaphors. Was that not the case?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

And oh gosh, Sukima Switch is doing the new ED and/or placeholder OP song. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

How does Kuroko compare to Haikyuu? Does it have the same kind of goofiness and team interaction?

Yeah it does, but it also has a bit of a slow start though, but episode six is where things really get rolling. The anime does change the order of some minor events in the manga, but it also does a better job with the jokes, especially with the omake shorts. Those are only on the blu-rays, but it should be easy enough to find them on youtube.

• Locked thread