Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Strange Quark posted:

I fell off following Prince of Tennis really early on, so I always assumed stuff like killing the dinosaurs were just really elaborate visual metaphors. Was that not the case?

PoT is what got me into this genre, and I loved(still love and rewatch) to this day. I always assumed the "special" moves and poo poo were just incredibly insane metaphores to make watching more interesting (i.e. "it moves like a snake!", showing a detailed snake biting someones arm off, etc.).

In fact, it made the movie more interesting because the final match had the ship having mechnical problems that blended into the match making it seem like the EXTREME TENNIS was destroying the ship, which I thought was quite clever.

I think Baby Steps is basically Inui's (from PoT) story, and I just assume it's the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Holy poo poo that dream! I've been out of college for 14 years and I still have that same loving dream!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I went to the Boston children's museum with my nephew and they were having a Japaneese new year thing, and one of the activities was showing kids how to play a simplified version of Karuta. It was bizarre.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ville Valo posted:

Absolutely love Haikyuu, but I'm goin' through Kuroko withdrawals. Is there any word on a third season air date? :ohdear:

At least Kuroko ended at a good spot. The pedal show stopped mid-loving-race.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Everything Burrito posted:

How does Kuroko compare to Haikyuu? Does it have the same kind of goofiness and team interaction?

I think so. Both have main characters that are hard to dislike. It's refreshing that the POV protagonist isn't a straight up god in the sport.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KittyEmpress posted:

Kuroko No Basket is also between Haikyuu and Free! in the whole 'are they gay or not????' spectrum, if that kind of thing bothers you. It's the sport anime that got me to watch sport anime though!

Really, I never got anything like that out of Kuroko...in fact they all go nuts over the big boobed girl that hangs on Kuroko.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KittyEmpress posted:

The first season has a lot of it between Kuroko and Taiga. The second season seemed to lighten up on it. All the side characters are straight as hell though.

Also between Kuroko/Taiga and the other prodigies. The most overt being the rant about how whats his face the Street Ball player going 'I was your light, and you my shadow. We were meant to be together. So why would you play with this person, who could NEVER be your light?!'

I always took that to be that everyone agrees Kuroko is like THE ultimate support player. Everyone's better with him around. Every Jordan needs their Pippen.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, it feels like Basketball.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Everything Burrito posted:

Personally I'd rather see more gay than less gay but that's what doujinshi are for.

I can honestly say the only "sports" anime I watched that I thought MIGHT be a little gay was a majohng show where the girls all seemed be incredibly flirty with each other (a bit more then the general friendliness I assoicate with sports). I haven't watched Free yet though and the PV does seem a little gay, but that might be selective editing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I'm hoping ViggyNash comes back with some more write ups. I really enjoyed those.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I wasn't surprised because the pacing was all wrong to go three sets.

Is there any word on if/when a new season of Ippo begins, or is it like sporadic OAV series?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So are all these shows coming back for the spring? It looks like Kuroko and Baby Steps are set for March (?), but what about Haikyu and Ace of Diamond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ahh, I thought Ace of Dimaond was done, but it looks like they just took a week off.

• Locked thread