Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hrm, as usual I can't stand the weekly wait, so I went ahead and checked out the Baby Steps manga. Ran out of material after 29 volumes, but it's remarkably good. Reminds me a lot of Hajime no Ippo, with the way it's centered around sports outside of school clubs, and has a focus on going professional. Doesn't hurt that the romance actually moves forward every now and then. I just suffered through 38 volumes of Area no Kishi, where it wouldn't move an inch.

The direction, music and animation for the Haikyuu anime is so good I'll actually make an attempt at ignoring the manga for now. Perfect first episode, and still fun in the second. Great faces.

Yowamushi Pedal's anime looked nice too, but as usual I simply couldn't wait. Decided to give it a break after 28 volumes or so, before it launches into another arc. Very enjoyable manga, particularly successful with introducing opponents in a sympathetic way. Rough art, though.

I love sports manga. :shobon: Too bad there isn't an infinite amount of it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Haikyuu remains wonderful after 4 episodes. :3:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Haikyuu 6 left me hoarse from laughing out loud too much. :)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So, Haikyuu 14. How do I GIF an entire episode? :|

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

K. Flaps posted:

Anyone got an idea about the sales numbers for Haikyuu, and the likelihood of a second season?

Vol 1 of the anime has sold over 30k, which makes it a megahit. If there's more manga, there's no way they'll pass up on animating it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sports manga is surprisingly a ton of fun: All-rounder Meguru is probably my favorite manga now and the Yowamushi pedal is fun too. Where else should I look besides the stuff in the OP? I'm a bit picky about the sport in question (gently caress ballgames) and it seems that a lot of the stuff isn't too sport specific, like if it's about swimming it's just fanservice or something.

Hajime no Ippo, Initial D, Hikaru no Go, all great titles with a sports shounen feel.

If you can stand at least trying ball games, Slam Dunk and Major are both excellent.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

If anyone's wondering, Haikyuu is still supremely wonderful watching. :3:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

The character development through this last match has been pretty great. I love that Kageyama and Sugawara can be competitive with each other without being needlessly antagonistic and push each other to improve.

Yeah. Speaking of character development, (Haikyuu ep 21) when Suga substitutes with Kageyama, he's about to say 「勝てよ」 but changes his mind, going instead with 「勝つぞ」. While the CR subs just have this translated as "Let's win!" in both cases, my interpretation is that the former should have been translated along the lines of "Go win this!" with the latter being "Let's win this!" It's a display of how Suga changes his mindset, going from being a bystander asking others to win, to being a part of the team at all times even if he's not active on the court. Not sure if the subs conveyed that. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I think Kuroko no Basket is a lot closer to the likes of Prince of Tennis than Haikyuu. They're in their own little area of sports shounen, where it's like watching super powered battles with tennis balls or basket balls as weapons. I still love them, mind you.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

If you're itching for basketball in particular, Slam Dunk is the right choice every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

the loli basketball show i dreamed about wouldnt be gay at all if it were made into a real anime show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVbERflYxU

• Locked thread