Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

Seconding Haikyu being fantastic. Great writing, great animation, great cast.

It is great but I was annoyed by the pace. Maybe a side-effect of an action-packed pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

I realized while watching the second episode that the female lead in Baby Steps is basically a jock who bullies notes out of a dork before bullying her way into his heart 💕.

Yeah all that's definitely true. But she reminds me of Nishino from Ichigo 100% so she gets a free pass on everything from me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash, are you sure about your info? Wikipedia has info on lots of other Japanese pro players, even among the top 100. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_tennis_players

Also consider that comment may have been "many of our students have turned pro over the past 20/30/50 years" or whatever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

There's a single Japanese male singles player currently in the top 100, and 3 Japanese females I've never heard of before currently in the top 100. I'm sure there have been more throughout history (Michael Chang (China) was a big name in the 90's), but Nishikori is one of the very few big asian names currently.

As for the second part, assuming the club has been around for a few decades, then I suppose that was probably what she meant. Not sure why I didn't parse it as that.

To be fair they don't really focus on the club as being some huge institution or anything and it kinda comes off more like a neighborhood tennis club. They don't really give the impression that it has been around for decades, though it's certainly possible.

Is tennis the kind of thing where you might go pro for like a year or so, but you don't do that well and you're a nobody that no-one ever hears about, and then just wash out pretty quickly?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Your weekly Tennis sperg post:

Nope. If you pull back that much on a serve, the racket will never meet the ball, especially against that monster serve. All you really need to do is put your racket in the way of the ball with stable footing. When the ball has that much power behind it, either from a serve or a particularly strong ground stroke, you don't need to add any to it yourself, so simply blocking the ball is a better option...

...than this. Now, this isn't wrong by any means and is in fact a good way to think of a return in general, but it takes time you might not have to put yourself in the right position. But if you have the reflexes and the speed to do so, you can hit a very dangerous return like this, especially when the ball has as much power in it as Takuma's serve.

Oh, you dick.

A slice serve is when you brush sideways on the ball when serving, thus giving it a sideways spin that causes the ball to curve out. For a right handed player, this always means curving to the left (brushing to the right) because it meshes with the standard service motion well. Attempting to slice the other way won't accomplish much, and most likely will lead to a hilarious failure.

Unless the system is different in japan, that does not mean he is the #5 ranked player on the local rankings. His #5 seed refers to his seed for the tournament, meaning he is the 5th highest ranked player playing in the tournament. He might actually be the #7 ranked player, but the #6 and #4 ranked players decided not to play in this particular tournament. It works this way in the pro leagues as well.

:allears: These posts are really great and I hope you keep making them.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I thought Baby Steps was my favorite new sports show, but man Haikyu had a really strong episode this week. A lot of sports anime don't really integrate teamwork into the story that well; even on team sports like baseball it's often just a pitcher vs batter thing. Or in other shows, they'll have a teamwork theme but only to the extent of "you handle your opponent and I'll handle mine and never the twain shall meet"... Yowapeda has a lot of this (though they also do cooperation sometimes). Eyeshield 21 did heavily coordinated teamwork really well, and this last episode of Haikyu did a great job of team-play as well and it was great to watch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KoB posted:

I think my favorite part about Haikyuu is that it looks like the standard duo of hotblooded protagonist and the cool, collected, smart, perfect guy but then you find out that they're both silly idiots.

Yowapeda does that same great idea and it's great there too. :3:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

I think I'll need to check that out then. I love silly dorks, though they're especially great in Haikyuu because they all make excellent faces, no exceptions.

Tanaka is still number one though. :allears:

Yowapeda has a lot of really great dorky post-credit scenes so make sure not to miss those.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Oh, that reminded me that I wanted to ask about what tennis courts are usually made out of. When it occurred to me to wonder about it, I realized that I couldn't come up with a definite answer at all. You mention clay but implied that's abnormal - what's the standard? Something hard like asphalt? How different is it to play on an indoor court that I'm assuming is some kinda plasticky rubbery surface? I feel like I've seen or heard of playing on grass or grass-like surfaces, but that seems like it'd be super weird; is that done?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Haikyu continues to be the most gif-worthy show this season. e: VV Exactly.

Tennis talk:

Was Maruo's whole "I gotta aim for the back if I wanna hit the front and vice versa" a common tennis idea, or was it just an instance where that's what works for him, and different people have to adjust in different ways?

I completely missed Baldy's catch there and that's awesome.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

glomkettle posted:

No, I just never learned how to read. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes.

There's a chrome plugin that can read text out of images, you could combine that with text-to-speech and get it to read the manga to you that would work for you. :)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Is it really that hard to animate the faces behind the net so everyone doesn't look like their heads are fused into the net? So lazy, Haikyu animators.

Maybe this is a jokepost but if you're talking about how the net in front of their faces gets erased, I'd imagine that's actually more work. It's intentional, they want to show the whole face. It'd be dead simple to just throw their faces behind a net layer.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, I agree with that, but there's still the zone mk. II that's getting hyped up, so I'd say there's still a tiny room for doubt.

I fell off following Prince of Tennis really early on, so I always assumed stuff like killing the dinosaurs were just really elaborate visual metaphors. Was that not the case?

You're right, it's just flourish for the "better than anyone in reality but not quite magical" things they're doing, and from what I understand the super crazy stuff like the dinosaur one you mention only showed up in some non-canon movie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Is it me or did the animation in Takuma's match in this week's episode of Baby Steps (ep. 17) look different? It seemed a lot more fluid? Dynamic? Maybe it was that it wasn't cutting between mostly still shots of each player but rather showing the whole court, but you could see lots of details like them shifting their balance and footing. It felt like it stood out.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that too, it was certainly much nicer animation that normal. Helped highlight how those two guys are (relative) badasses even though they didn't show that much of their match, cool touch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Eeevil posted:

Is homoerotic subtext really something that puts people off watching these shows? Ookiku Furikabutte is one of my top 5 favorite sports anime, so it would be a shame if people were dissuaded from watching it just because it's super gay.

It varies person to person, some people don't even notice it, while for others the homo subtext is so intense that you think the author is making a mental assault against you personally and you become inspired to become an insane violent stalker in real life and people have to stop selling the manga in physical stores, like what happened with Kuroko. (at least for a while, hopefully they caught that guy by now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Strong Mouse posted:

I love Haikyuu. It just has a lot of personality.

Those animators are struggling full time against that Crunchyroll translation just to manage to get the show's personality to shine through. My god man, whenever they start talking about tactics I may as well just completely ignore the subs on the screen, they're super mushy bad reading.

• Locked thread