Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Lemon's base stats actually do increase C'mon's stats so he's more powerful for the HP Chips! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lizard Wizard posted:

My biggest problem with Digimon World 3, really, is that it looks like this:

despite being released in 2002. The actual combat's in 3D, but it's just so loving cheap. Argh.

I'd say my biggest problem with Digimon World 3 was having to walk everywhere, which not only took a while, but forced you to deal with the encounter rate frequently.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Well, you've chosen a baby digimon that I never have, so this'll be interesting to see what you get. Happy rebirthingday, Lemon/Cmon!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Welp, he snuffed it. At least he left some indelible marks on the world. :v:

Unless you end up with Sukamon.

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013
It's my understanding that this slime thing can evolve into a penguin. Well it's obvious what the correct path is here.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Noooo Lemon :(

I recently watched the first few episodes of Digimon. As someone who never watched any of it as a kid, it was a very :stare: experience. I think I came out of it understanding even less about Digimon than ever before. I feel like the first few episodes of Pokemon at least make a little more sense... but that may just be nostalgia at work.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The biggest problem is that like Digimon World you really do need to follow a guide when playing, and the copious backtracking, and the uneven difficulty curve, and... Okay it's mostly nostalgia. I still like the card battle minigame though. :v:

I wouldn't say Digimon World 3 needs a guide, unless you're trying to 100% it. I played through the whole story just fine without one back when it was released. Unlike Digimon world, which I also got at release (hell yea, free Metal Mamemon card), but had never seen the ending of until OrangeFluffySheep's LP.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Schubalts posted:

(hell yea, free Metal Mamemon card)

I got a Metal Greymon with mine.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

World War S posted:

I recently watched the first few episodes of Digimon. As someone who never watched any of it as a kid, it was a very :stare: experience. I think I came out of it understanding even less about Digimon than ever before. I feel like the first few episodes of Pokemon at least make a little more sense... but that may just be nostalgia at work.
PFFF, It's not supposed to make sense!

alcharagia posted:

Lemon's base stats actually do increase C'mon's stats so he's more powerful for the HP Chips! :eng101:
Yeah, but not very significantly :/

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Happy rebirthingday, Lemon/Cmon!
This is making me think of the Alessa/Cheryl/Heather relationship in Silent Hill 3. "Happy 1st/15th Birthday, Punimon." If I had any artist talent I would draw Punimon on the phone with Leonard.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone explain to me how the progression in this game works, because it seems like a pain in the rear end to start leveling a lv 1 blob from the very beginning.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone explain to me how the progression in this game works, because it seems like a pain in the rear end to start leveling a lv 1 blob from the very beginning.

The attacks your previous Digimon learned are passed down to your next one, the training area's improvements let you get your baby up to par faster, and city improvements like the farm and hospital make keeping it healthy easier, up to the point where you fully upgrade the city.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

19LettersLong posted:

Oh right, I forgot all about that whole deal with HerculesKabuterimon. But speaking of the Prima guide.... Is that any good? I feel like no one's ever told us to get it, so it can't possibly be, but is it? Anyone know?

It tells you how to do and get most everything so it does actually help with the horrible obscurity of every mechanic thing the game has going.

WaltherFeng posted:

Compared to the starting partners, something trained from birth is gonna have one hell of an edge in stats at the same point in life. We're talking meeting Champion stat requirements before its even a day old. Furthermore, you can shove all the chips you've been getting in the 2nd dude's mouth to get an easy edge.

Each Digimon recruited for the city is one fewer to recruit and one more service provided, so each subsequent digimon can get more and more done. Dude 3 will have even more techs and even better stats and more things in town to help, going from a diet of mostly giant meat and mushrooms to Sirloin when not using the restaurant for extra stats, and such.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Its a very strange progression, but not at all a bad one. Its not for everyone, but there are advantages to it. The stats, as mentioned, are a big one but so is the variety. You can start with an orange lizard, evolve it up into a holy phoenix, and then start all over again with an ice spitting penguin that becomes a sentient snowman. Plus, with more things in the city, the actual rebuilding of your partner is much easier and faster with every subsequent reincarnation. It could be streamlined much better, which is honestly something I'm hoping for in the PSP game, but as a whole its a fun system. Just not for everybody, and rather counter-intuitive (Get 50 battles or don't fight at all, no inbetween!)

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Digimon World is easily the LP I'm having the most fun with that we're doing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Somethingdumb posted:

Digimon World is easily the LP I'm having the most fun with that we're doing.

I like it the best, personally too. Just please pick a digimon evolution with better sound files than greymon. Holy poo poo the constant stomping and screeching!

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
Digimon Season 3 is definitely the best season of Digimon. I hated it when it first came out too though because it had none of the characters of the first two seasons and was a complete change in tone. I watched it later though and it's just way more interesting and well done than the first two seasons.

Also Steve Blum voices 90% of the characters.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

Digimon Season 3 is definitely the best season of Digimon. I hated it when it first came out too though because it had none of the characters of the first two seasons and was a complete change in tone. I watched it later though and it's just way more interesting and well done than the first two seasons.

It gets kind of straight-up Lovecraftian near the end. Like, basically the main villain is a huge digital shoggoth. It was pretty hosed up, yeah, poo poo got crazy. Man. And there was like...some sort of government watch program and Steve Blum scaring children and...gently caress, some bunny rabbit with chaigun fists...

Digimon was a weird fuckin' show.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I think that weird dark stuff is the reason that digimon could not compare to mass appeal of pokemon. That and the failure of bamco to properly use an ip.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
The "weird dark stuff" came one season after the one with the villain who literally booted a puppy. Season 3 was the first to start confronting actual issues.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Man, the first Digimon World was so confusing to me. I just couldn't figure that poo poo out. I actually much preferred the second game as I found it really cool thanks to just how many different Digimon you could get in it. Digimon World 3 is a different story. It has stuff that I like but that difficulty curve and just how necessary grinding is makes it a bit of a waste of time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

Tamers was awesome to be sure, but it was pretty unsettling. I remember a D-Reaper clone of Juri that scared the crap out of me when I was kid.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Bought Digimon World on the 3DS because of this LP. It's pretty great so far, loving the nostalgia factor. Except you can't get skullgreymon goddamn it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

I like it the best, personally too. Just please pick a digimon evolution with better sound files than greymon. Holy poo poo the constant stomping and screeching!

It could be a lot worse than Greymon.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I can't wait until we get one of our own. :getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That is 1000x better than stomp stomp stomp stomp SCREEECH SCREECH stomp stomp stomp

loving thing wooshes along pleasantly and gently wheezes its dulcet call

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Jeez, look at all that poop. Irresponsible tamer!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
KOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH

I can't tell if it's the sound of the waves or the digimon simply dragging itself across the ground.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm really glad you guys came back to this game. I still have fond memories of watching ya'll become increasingly agitated as it became more and more apparent that you were nowhere remotely near a toilet.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I dont even have to click the link. Its goddamn Whamon isn't it? gently caress Whamon and gently caress his flopping. Drag your stomach on the ground you sack of blubber! I don't care about chaffing and tearing your stomach lining, if I hear one more flop I'm resetting you out of existence! At least he was a pretty good partner from what I remember.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

The "weird dark stuff" came one season after the one with the villain who literally booted a puppy. Season 3 was the first to start confronting actual issues.

You mean season 2 actually. There was one weird episode of season 2 which was creepy as gently caress involving the dark ocean, with a creature who was literally Cthulu. Like, giant octopus face and all.

They completely dropped that entire plotline after that episode which sucks because that was amazing.

The guy who wrote that episode though went on to write the majority of season 3, which explains a lot.

Also, if you look at the original cards and drawings Digimon were kinda disturbing looking. At least compared to Pokemon.

I think that's why I loved it so much though.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
When I was talking about "weird dark stuff" I was also referring to digimon designs. They have several iterations of the jeduo-christian devil as a mon. Lots of grotesque digimon as well, either as weird gritty things or literal poop and slime.

Metal Greymon is the most 90s thing, he looks terrible now. I like his virus form better.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

If memory serves, his flesh is blue because it is beginning to rot and only the machinery is actually keeping him alive. No wonder they changed it to orange for the anime, huh? I honestly like the feel of digimon way more than pokemon, at least in terms of anime. The pokemon anime is bad. I loved it as a kid, but that doesn't mean its not bad. Digimon, flawed as the various seasons are, at least have plot and defined, if simplistic at times, characters. Plus I've always been interested in creepier things so zombie cyborg dragons and giant eldritch semi-sentient mind rape viruses have always been right up my alley, even as an eight year old.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Oh hey, this is back cool.
Now maybe, if we wish hard enough, the 3DS Digimon World will get localized.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

Oh hey, this is back cool.
Now maybe, if we wish hard enough, the 3DS Digimon World will get localized.

Bandai-Namco's showing interest, apparently. They just recently opened a Digimon section on their NA forums after seeing how much support people have put behind a petition to get it localized.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lizard Wizard posted:

Bandai-Namco's showing interest, apparently. They just recently opened a Digimon section on their NA forums after seeing how much support people have put behind a petition to get it localized.

The supporting merch cant be doing that well though.
I do think that any losses on games would've been recouped quickly by merch so they were more viable before.

Though project Rainfall did bring some really good games to the Wii in english so we can probs stay hopeful.
They could probably find a willing localizer somewhere.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Screw Digimon world, I still want to see a localization of Digimon Adventure for PSP. Though less likely to ever get a localization now.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I'm not really aware of any other game that does the whole monster raising simulator like Digimon World does.
Although I guess the pokemon games have been slowly moving in that direction.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AriadneThread posted:

I'm not really aware of any other game that does the whole monster raising simulator like Digimon World does.
Although I guess the pokemon games have been slowly moving in that direction.

Monster Rancher :colbert:.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Monster Rancher :colbert:.

Monster Rancher and Digimon both suffer from the same problems in their games though. Namely that they'd create new monsters for you to raise and push them on you feverishly. I didn't want any of the silly new Digimon in Digimon World 2003, Kumamon Monmon and Kotemon all sucked as far as I was concerned. Being made to choose one of them just meant I was effectively operating on two team members until I could snag a third non-new digimon.

Similarly, I have no interest in Monster Rancher monsters that weren't in the cartoon. The game keeps acting like they're the best thing ever, and they're just not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I feel like the 3DS Digimon world was mostly comprised of old digimon, except Greymon can't evolve into Skullgreymon. I feel cheated.

• Locked thread