Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Monster Rancher and Digimon both suffer from the same problems in their games though. Namely that they'd create new monsters for you to raise and push them on you feverishly. I didn't want any of the silly new Digimon in Digimon World 2003, Kumamon Monmon and Kotemon all sucked as far as I was concerned.

Bearmon was baller as gently caress. Look at that backwards cap, that's how goddamn cool he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Testekill posted:

Bearmon was baller as gently caress. Look at that backwards cap, that's how goddamn cool he is.
Of the three he is the most acceptable, but really, was character design outsourced to Tetsuya Nomura for this one?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I kinda liked Monmon. It's monkey with a slingshot that evolves into a pirate!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Similarly, I have no interest in Monster Rancher monsters that weren't in the cartoon. The game keeps acting like they're the best thing ever, and they're just not.

Having new monsters in games about seeing and interacting with monsters is a good thing, though. That's like 80% of what makes any new iteration of a monster game exciting.

Also, you're implying that Antlan isn't the best thing ever, which is blatantly false:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Bearmon is super cool. I wish more people figured out that the only thing you need to make a rad character is throw useless buckles on'em for no reason. MORE BUCKLES, EVERYWHERE!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Having new monsters in games about seeing and interacting with monsters is a good thing, though. That's like 80% of what makes any new iteration of a monster game exciting.

Also, you're implying that Antlan isn't the best thing ever, which is blatantly false:

OH MAN HE LOOKS LIKE A BEETLEBORG!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somethingdumb posted:

OH MAN HE LOOKS LIKE A BEETLEBORG!

Antlan's almost explicitly based on sentai heroes and such. The game even says it loves justice or something along those lines.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Kotemon's Mega evolution was an angel knight with wings made of swords, Kotemon's the best of the three :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

And a sword on his helmet and swords for arms and swords on his feet too. I expect if you cut him, swords probably come out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

McDragon posted:

And a sword on his helmet and swords for arms and swords on his feet too. I expect if you cut him, swords probably come out.

If you cut me, do I not blade?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Kotemon's Mega evolution was an angel knight with wings made of swords, Kotemon's the best of the three :colbert:
Allow me to introduce you to Monmon's final evolution, Cannondramon, a cyborg dinosaur with spines made of cannons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I never understood how Monmon evolved from being a monkey to being a pirate to being a machine to being a dinosaur.

There is some weird stuff in Monmon's genes. :stare:

On another note, the Monkey Deva from Tamers looks like something Monmon would evolve into more naturally.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Allow me to introduce you to Monmon's final evolution, Cannondramon, a cyborg dinosaur with spines made of cannons.

Literally every Mega Digimon looks like what you'd get if you asked a 10-year-old to draw what he thought was cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lazerbeam posted:

Literally every Mega Digimon looks like what you'd get if you asked a 10-year-old to draw what he thought was cool.

Not all of them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lazerbeam posted:

Jijimon is technically a Mega Digimon, you know.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you are talking about Monmon you can't forget about his Ultimate form: Armormon! (or Assaultmon)

(sorry about the bad quality)

Yes, that is a lizard-cyborg-centaur with Gatling arms! (also his strongest attack is called loving Justice Massacre for crying out loud!)

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 23, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never understood how Monmon evolved from being a monkey to being a pirate to being a machine to being a dinosaur.

There is some weird stuff in Monmon's genes. :stare:

I think the implication is that he becomes a better long-ranged attacker with each evolution, improving the technology of his weapons: he starts with a slingshot, than he gets a flintlock pistol/cannon and so on and so forth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The weirdest thing about Digimon, to me, has always been how the evolutionary lines don't really have well-structured rules. Sometimes there's one solitary line that a digimon can digivolve through, other times it splits off, and sometimes it can become one of a dozen things that don't all make sense.

Compared to Pokemon, that poo poo was always pretty nuts. Some evolutions may get a bit complicated in later games, but it's not like Slowpoke ever evolves into Cloyster for some reason.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The weirdest thing about Digimon, to me, has always been how the evolutionary lines don't really have well-structured rules. Sometimes there's one solitary line that a digimon can digivolve through, other times it splits off, and sometimes it can become one of a dozen things that don't all make sense.

Compared to Pokemon, that poo poo was always pretty nuts. Some evolutions may get a bit complicated in later games, but it's not like Slowpoke ever evolves into Cloyster for some reason.

Digimon is more like Dragon Quest Monsters in that sense, except maybe even more flexible

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not all of them.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Jijimon is technically a Mega Digimon, you know.

Point taken. Just remembered Jijimon's wife too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This really depends on whether you follow anime or game rules. In the games it's like that, but in the anime evolutions seemed to be set in stone. But to be fair, we only see the main characters' digimon evolve often, so it's not like we can be sure that every Agumon ever evolves into a Greymon.

And then there's the Wiki, which I'm not even sure what it's documenting with its weird branching paths.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

paradoxGentleman posted:

And then there's the Wiki, which I'm not even sure what it's documenting with its weird branching paths.

The card game maybe? I forget how that one works

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

It should be noted that more recent games like the DS ones had those three evolve into slightly more sane forms, like Monmon to Apemon. Bearmon becomes Leomon and continues Leomon's line, but really that's better than Bear to Grizzly Bear to Machine Leomon to God of War. Digimon World 3's evolutionary "lines" were hosed up even by digimon standards. They were less lines and more spreadsheets.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Digivolution lines were always a bit weird:

To be honest, I like them that way.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Where is that one from? The original keychains?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Occasionally, I think I might want to play through this game again. And then I remember just how much bullshit there is, and I'm more than content to let Keith and Kyle slog through it instead.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Yes, that is a lizard-cyborg-centaur with Gatling arms! (also his strongest attack is called loving Justice Massacre for crying out loud!)

Justice Massacre sounds pretty cool, but it's no Extreme Jihad.

I think the Digimon World Dawn/Dusk games found a pretty good middle ground between having several branching paths for evolution while still not getting too confusing. They're fun games too, bad encounter rates aside :sigh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I tell you what, Bearmons mega form is pretty tame in comparision to Monmon and Kotemon.

Ooh, it's a flaming Bear man. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a God but it's opposed to an Angel composed entirely out of swords and a gigantic artillery dinosaur.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Digimon evolution lines remind me a lot of Shin Megami Tensei-style demon fusion lines. You get some demons who evolve like pokemon at certain levels, but most of the time you're fusing them together, instead. Each larger category of demon has a specific species within a given range of levels, and each combination of demon categories fused results in a specific result category. The level you get, and therefore the species, is generally the average of the two demons fused. In addition, to get your really cool poo poo, like defeated bosses and other sort of "shinies", there are Special fusions, that require usually at least three specific demon species.

The nuance in here is that every single species has its own elemental resistances and weaknesses, their own stats favoring different types of attacks, and their own moves that they learn as they level up. In addition to that, they can inherit moves from their "parents".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can appreciate the weird-rear end convoluted digimon evolution lines. They force you to think about what you're trying to achieve, and act accordingly. Digimon World seems like it's maybe a little too strict in this regard, but I guess they wanted to make sure the player went through at least a few life/death cycles to get at the good stuff, or it would be a pretty short game.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Digimon is the best.
If only they made a game that wasn't grind heavy.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
The Digimon game I've enjoyed the most so far is Digimon Story: Lost Evolution (the "Digimon World" series is called "Digimon Story" instead in Japanese). It only came out in Japan, and though it introduced some new stuff, it suffered from reused sound effects/music/map titles/sprites/other assets, and a lot of same-y gameplay when comparing it to the Digimon DS games that came out before it. Hell, I think it uses the same cursor move/select/cancel sound effects from Digimon World, and it came out in 2010.

My favorite part was this touch screen minigame where you had to clean damaged and dirty Digiplates, which unlocked the evolution options. Because when you start the game, most of them are missing.

The better the evolution, the more hosed up and full of holes and dirt the plate was, and the harder it was to clean to an acceptable level within the time limit. If you were too slow or damaged the plate by using your tools wrong, you'd destroy the Digiplate permanently, though you can carry several of the same plate. Consequently, I saved before trying to restore the rare drop plates that unlocked stuff like alternate Mega evolutions.

The game that came out based on the sixth season, Digimon Xros Wars/Digimon Fusion, was also pretty good for a DS Digimon game. You could fuse Digimon together in battle and do all sorts of super attacks with them. It's all right if you like the show.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is there any form of english translation being worked on for any of those games? I know the PSP one has a translation that's almost done but I haven't heard anything on the Digimon Story games. I really liked those games despite their flaws, and I was really dissapointed when they never came out in English.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Not that I've been able to find. I saw a WIP picture of a Lost Evolution fan translation on gbatemp, but Romhacking.net doesn't have any entries on in-progress/finished translations for it, so I guess it went nowhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, good luck mustering up the fortitude to train another Digimon.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well, good luck mustering up the fortitude to train another Digimon.

And then, a third time. Fourth, if we're lucky.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I think four Digimon was about as far as I got with this game, and I got the city maybe midway completed at best. Started with Agumon, who ended up as Andromon by complete accident. It was the best! Then he died, and I never got another Ultimate.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

I think four Digimon was about as far as I got with this game, and I got the city maybe midway completed at best. Started with Agumon, who ended up as Andromon by complete accident. It was the best! Then he died, and I never got another Ultimate.

I think I managed to beat the game by the second or third one, but I don't know that I ever got all the Digimon to the city. I had a Metal Graymon and a Seadramon (I think that's what the name was?), at least, though I used a guide for the latter.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Monster Rancher and Digimon both suffer from the same problems in their games though. Namely that they'd create new monsters for you to raise and push them on you feverishly. I didn't want any of the silly new Digimon in Digimon World 2003, Kumamon Monmon and Kotemon all sucked as far as I was concerned. Being made to choose one of them just meant I was effectively operating on two team members until I could snag a third non-new digimon.

Similarly, I have no interest in Monster Rancher monsters that weren't in the cartoon. The game keeps acting like they're the best thing ever, and they're just not.

Dude like every monster rancher monster was in the cartoon at some point, at least from MR2. it's not the cartoon's fault that they never made a new cartoon because the other one wasn't popular?

I think their problem was trying more and more new ideas for some reason, when they should have just made MR2 over and over with better graphics and new monsters and other improvements. Basically just do the same thing over and over again like Megaman

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I never had a Playstation growing up, and any time I played this game at a friend's house I could barely get my Digimon to digivolve into anything but Sukamon because I was 10 and no one ever had the guide. Since some of those "alt" Digimon like Vermilimon and Modoki-Betamon weren't in the show and only came out in the second wave of the card game, I always assumed they were created afterward. I was surprised when they showed up in the original game and were there all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Didn't Monster Rancher pride itself on being able to create monsters from CDs and poo poo? I recall that it made it sound like it could somehow convert the content on that CD into the game (my brother and I hotly imagined creating Kerrigan from Starcraft by inserting a Starcraft CD) but I have heard that the reality is less impressive as that?

• Locked thread