Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

USA: I would reinstate Social Security using funds cut from the defense budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

USA: I would reinstate Social Security using funds cut from the defense budget.

Then we might not have the funds to build tanks the military no longer uses!

I'd create a one child per family rule. Thanks to automation we're just not going to have enough jobs for everyone, and again thanks to automation we no longer need a huge population to man the military forces. Basically there's no good cause for a first world nation to have a population as high as America has.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'd change nothing USA number one.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I started to think of all of the things I'd change, but I couldn't pick one. I guess if I *had* to choose, I'd say: Eliminate the influence of money in politics. But that's a complex solution that's impossible to implement.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Rename it to United Butts of America.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Invade Canada.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Depose the King and change the name to "Republic of the seven united provinces"
Being a monarchy is so 19th century.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Release a plague into it that killed everyone.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Depoliticise the issue of asylum seekers: have everyone agree to treat them with basic human decency while their claims are being processed, give them access to legal aid and let the court system do its job in processing claims without government interference, and grant them asylum in Australia if they're found to be refugees. Australia receives far fewer asylum seekers per capita than the US or most European countries, and yet for the past 15 years it's been a huge political issue where both major parties are constantly trying to one-up each other on being Tough On Illegals. It's the single ugliest part of Australian politics right now and it's completely unnecessary.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
USA: make lobbying illegal.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

TunaSpleen posted:

USA: make lobbying illegal.

Two lobbyists per state with public disclosure of expenditures.

Lobbyists are supposed to be an expert resource to inform politicians of their best moves toward improving the private sector (and not just funneling money to the top corporations/CEOs thru tax-breaks.) If we had a working democracy in the USA [which we do not...] lobbyists would be an important tool in legislating good laws.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Liar posted:

Then we might not have the funds to build tanks the military no longer uses!

I'd create a one child per family rule. Thanks to automation we're just not going to have enough jobs for everyone, and again thanks to automation we no longer need a huge population to man the military forces. Basically there's no good cause for a first world nation to have a population as high as America has.

Pretty much this but I'd cap it at two children per family maximum instead of just one; reason being for this is having a brother/sister in life is awesome and has many benefits.

Mastodon Compound
Oct 2, 2012
I'd change the way our police have become increasingly militarized, and I'd want more oversight for them. With the war winding down, they got way too much free gear. I had pay for my CiF poo poo so some rear end in a top hat cop department could get it for free? An exaggeration, but still to hell with that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Make myself king.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Corporations are not people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

themrguy posted:

Invade Canada.
Show those maple sucking frostbacks who's boss!

They're way too polite to not be up to something.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Drop Florida into the Atlantic.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I would cut off farm aid.

It is a billion dollar boondogle that exists solely to line the pockets of millionaires. The small farm was killed off 60 years ago, so why do we have to pretend that farmers just stepped out of a Steinbeck novel? Most of the big farms are run by millionaires who can't be bothered to pay their employees minimum wage.

gently caress those guys.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
A universal basic income as a replacement for basic social security safety nets and state pensions.

Give every adult in the country a set, livable sum every month and every parent a monthly sum to feed and clothe their children. With this in place, it'd be justifiable to close most social security systems (the disabled might still need extra help), saving not only the amounts paid out in this but all the administration. It'd also justify removing the UK's personal tax free allowance. After all, we'd all pass it through the basic income. Any wages we earn would be instantly at 20% income tax, rising to 40%.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Q != edit

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Disallow private banks. And insurance.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
Improve the overall quality of domestic beers.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
Allow / force the south to secede.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Murcor posted:

Improve the overall quality of domestic beers.

This is the platform Hillary needs to run on in 2016.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Wolfy posted:

Drop Florida into the Atlantic.

Care to elaborate why?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ungoal posted:

Care to elaborate why?

Because it's terrible and 90% of the people who live there are defective in some major way. I have family down there, and there's parts of it I kind of like, but when you get down to it, the good parts don't make up for the massive, massive bad parts.

And if you did it in winter, you could get rid of a lot of the most annoying breed of French Canadians too (specifically, the snooty, no-tipping, arrogant snowbird gently caress).

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Definitely eliminate so much money in politics and thus term limits for congress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would kill to have healthcare reform in the Philippines. At this point even the PPACA would be a vast improvement.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

thrakkorzog posted:

I would cut off farm aid.

It is a billion dollar boondogle that exists solely to line the pockets of millionaires. The small farm was killed off 60 years ago, so why do we have to pretend that farmers just stepped out of a Steinbeck novel? Most of the big farms are run by millionaires who can't be bothered to pay their employees minimum wage.

gently caress those guys.

http://www.nifa.usda.gov/nea/ag_systems/in_focus/familyfarm_if_overview.html

Hope this helps.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Change the line to "one nation, under DOG".

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Change the line to "one nation, under DOG".

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

It doesn't. It just points out that farming is profitable. Which just raises the question of why the federal government needs to throw money at farms. You know, beyond the fact that presidential candidates have to kiss rear end and suck balls to get through the primaries.

For that matter, let's move the first primaries out of Iowa and New Hampshire, and move the first primaries to states like New York, California, Florida, and Texas, where the vast majority of voters live.

Also: We should lower the drinking age back to 18. The prohibitionists over at MADD have made us look like pussys to all the other countries.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 10, 2014

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
USA - Abolish the IRS.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Cut taxes

Quift
May 11, 2012
Sweden,

institute a citizen's wage to replace the welfare system (keep education and medical care free).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Canada.

Give municipalities more autonomy. Right now, they're "creatures of the provinces", and most of the revenue municipalities generate goes to the provincial/federal government. And to top it off, the provinces just offload costly responsibilities onto municipalities without giving them extra revenue sources.

Free tuition for in-demand careers would be nice, too.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 11, 2014

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

melon cat posted:

Canada.

Give municipalities more autonomy. Right now, they're "creatures of the provinces", and most of the revenue municipalities generate goes to the provincial/federal government. And to top it off, the provinces just offload costly responsibilities onto municipalities without giving them extra revenue sources.

Free tuition for in-demand careers would be nice, too.

Do you think Canada would function better with provinces the size of the states in New England instead of the monstrosities they have right now?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Do you think Canada would function better with provinces the size of the states in New England instead of the monstrosities they have right now?

Myself, I doubt it. I think a better change would be to institute measures to make people living outside the proper city limits pay for their fair share of city services by making parking, transit, and other city services more expensive for people living in bedroom communities, or to simply make it easier for the city to annex outlying areas that are primarily reliant on the city. This could also, I imagine, apply to a great number of cities in the US. Suburbs and bedroom communities that remain legally separate from the cities that sustain them are a terrible drain.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

PT6A posted:

Because it's terrible and 90% of the people who live there are defective in some major way. I have family down there, and there's parts of it I kind of like, but when you get down to it, the good parts don't make up for the massive, massive bad parts.

And if you did it in winter, you could get rid of a lot of the most annoying breed of French Canadians too (specifically, the snooty, no-tipping, arrogant snowbird gently caress).

It's loving wonderful though if you have seasonal depression.

I mean can you think of another option, because most the other southern states do way worse poo poo, IMO.

What I would change: I loving hate the car culture, I hate how public transport is considered something poor people use. I hate suburbia (which was invented to market the car culture) and I hate white flight (hello, cities are better than suburbia dumbos, also you are stupidly racist). Invest in some amazing train system, seriously. Also, none of the black people in this housing complex right next to the city have killed me or even given me poo poo yet. I had an infinitely worse experience with chavs.

What I would change about the UK where I come from: I would change it so they did not have a racist and classist immigration policy that has actually excluded me from ever living there again, given they don't want the dirty foreigner I happened to marry. Foreigners are not there to steal your jobs, your stupid dismal island is not "full" and you seriously sicken me. More than Florida. Florida let me live here on way less wages than my husband can pull down.

Sing like a girl fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Ungoal posted:

Care to elaborate why?

Oh the headlines that come out of Florida. On news chat forums, you see headlines like,
"9 year old girl killed on school bus by 11 year old boy who fired a flare gun into her vagina. Body goes unnoticed by driver for two weeks." And you just know it's from Florida.

Partly because when it isn't, the subject line is like,
"9 year old girl killed on school bus by 11 year old boy who fired a flare gun into her vagina. Body goes unnoticed by driver for two weeks. NOT FLORIDA"
And the thread would be filled with people going, 'My God what sort of sick world do we live in where this poo poo could happen outside of Florida??"

• Locked thread