Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Quift posted:

Sweden,

institute a citizen's wage to replace the welfare system (keep education and medical care free).
This, but Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

IRQ posted:

Corporations are not people.

Make it so that corporations are only 3/5ths of a person. :v:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

Partly because when it isn't, the subject line is like,
"9 year old girl killed on school bus by 11 year old boy who fired a flare gun into her vagina. Body goes unnoticed by driver for two weeks. NOT FLORIDA"
And the thread would be filled with people going, 'My God what sort of sick world do we live in where this poo poo could happen outside of Florida??"

It could be Fresno though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
USA

Anyone who actually believes in creationism is deemed ineligible to vote or hold public office.

Seriously, it's 2014, there's no excuse for creationists existing, let alone vetting textbooks lest a child accidentally learn to critically think.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Canada: Cut ties to the monarchy. That a family of inbreeds living in England should have any authority whatsoever over Canada in this day and age is alarming.

Sorry, Mrs. Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha, I don't think winning the lucky sperm contest should award you any special authority, and I really have no interest in paying for your place and coterie of servants and talentless relatives either.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sunshine89 posted:

Canada: Cut ties to the monarchy. That a family of inbreeds living in England should have any authority whatsoever over Canada in this day and age is alarming.

Since you took this one I'll say let's get rid of this first-past-the-post electoral riding BS and go to something more representative of what percent of the population votes for what party.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Canada: reverse the 2012 budget cuts, especially for national parks because poaching is increasing and environmental scientific research is suffering, and veteran care because those people DO have a social contract with the government. You can't join a war just to lick Bush's rear end in a top hat, convince others to fight for you, then tell them when they come home they can go gently caress themselves and cut their wrll-deserved benefits.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

USA:

Completely change the way public schools are funded, so that rather than being funded primarily by local governments, they would be funded entirely on the federal level on a per student basis, with increased monitoring AND funds going to schools deemed at-risk (none of this NCLB or Common Core crap). Oh and mandate that all children most go through k-12 in the public school system. Any and all private schooling would be extra-curricular.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 14, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Do you think Canada would function better with provinces the size of the states in New England instead of the monstrosities they have right now?
That's an interesting take on it. Not sure if it would fix the cities' woes, though.

PT6A brings up a valid point, though. Right now, city-dwellers are paying the cost/bearing the externalities for the suburbs that use all of their services and infrastructure, but don't pay for it. Without igniting too big of a debate on municipal autonomy, I'd say a good place to start would be tolled roads on major arterial routes/highways. A lot of U.S. cities do this, and I think it's a great system.

And to add to the Canada "poo poo We Need To Do" list- we need to ditch the Single Member Plurality (SMP) electoral system and replace it with Proportional Representation. SMP's just so undemocratic, and the results never reflects the actual voting habits of the riding's constituents.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 17, 2014

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok this is an unusual opinion I know but I'd like to return to a monarchy. Sure they have their problems but probably less than politicians who after all are the people attracted to power rather than an a person selected fairly arbitrarily.
Plus if you shoot a president or prime minister, their deputy takes over with little change in government, whereas if you shoot a monarch, things change more dramatically.

Oh, I live in new zealand

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's so hard to narrow down to one thing.

I've worked with a lot of kids who are in foster care or are abused/neglected at home, and if I had one magic wish it would be that no child would be born unwanted and that every child who was born had a loving and supportive family.

I would make medically-based sex education mandatory in schools, highly promoted in the media, loving posted on billboards and subway walls so everyone everywhere knows exactly how babies are made. Free condoms in every public lavatory, free hormonal birth control for any woman who asks for it, morning-after pill OTC, free clinics for pregnancy tests and pre-natal health care. Major cultural paradigm shift to stress that you should be 1000% sure you want to have a child (not a baby, a child that you will raise to adulthood) as well as have the financial/logistical/psychological/community support to raise the child well BEFORE you choose to become parents. First trimester abortions freely available, the adoption process cleaned up to make it well-regulated without being a prohibitively expensive/bureaucratic nightmare. Lots of social and financial support both to women placing their children with adoption services and with people adopting children. And also do something magical to take away the belief that a child is not really yours unless it shares your DNA.

Basically, create all kinds of services, programs, and proper regulations to ensure that those who want to and are able to be healthy parents become parents and those who do not want and/or are not able to be healthy parents do not.

And while I'm at it I'd eradicate war and use the money in the current defense budget to fund all this.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2014

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
Sweden, I'd invade Norway.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
USA-
Fix tax code
Make voting a req. by law (a holiday where everyone is required to go vote).
remove all government subsidies- followed by congress re-instituting subsidies on a one by one basis.
making attaching a referendum to a bill illegal- or at least prove why it should be attached.
give more teeth to government agencies(like ATF) so they can actually fight crimes.
Legalize weed. So we can focus on other drugs like heroin and meth.
make advertising prescription drugs directly to consumers illegal again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Teach arithmetic to all forum posters

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I'd want to change the USA #1 attitude of a lot of Americans because I think it makes it more politically challenging to adopt sound policies that originated in other countries. Probably our most potent national myth is that we, or our ancestors at least, came to America to escape poverty and persecution in whatever old country we originated from. A lot of people seem to have that idea in the back of their minds when they're presented with something like universal healthcare or high speed rail, there's this idea that "sure they have it in Germany or wherever but why would we want to be like them when our ancestors fled them to get here?" Obviously it's not a universal thing, even among people who oppose the policies I'm talking about, but I think at the very least it makes it harder for good ideas to get off the ground if they're not purely American in origin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'd want to change the USA #1 attitude of a lot of Americans because I think it makes it more politically challenging to adopt sound policies that originated in other countries. Probably our most potent national myth is that we, or our ancestors at least, came to America to escape poverty and persecution in whatever old country we originated from. A lot of people seem to have that idea in the back of their minds when they're presented with something like universal healthcare or high speed rail, there's this idea that "sure they have it in Germany or wherever but why would we want to be like them when our ancestors fled them to get here?" Obviously it's not a universal thing, even among people who oppose the policies I'm talking about, but I think at the very least it makes it harder for good ideas to get off the ground if they're not purely American in origin.

That sort of national supremacy shows up in basically any large country though, regardless of what the supposed motivation is (e.g., "China has existed for 5000 years so obviously we know how to do things right").

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
USA

Abolish the party system and make partisanship of any form illegal. So many of the problems in the US come down to Democrats vs Republicans. People vote for candidates based on their party affiliation, not what they stand for and without a party label, people would be forced to actually research their votes. Likewise when it comes down to votes in Congress, the representatives wouldn't have to worry about voting one way or another in order to keep their party support. It would really make politics a lot more bearable for a lot of the public I think, especially those who don't associate with a party. With the availability of information in this age there's no reason people can't research candidates rather than rely on party affiliations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
US: Death to states' rights. All lawmaking/rulemaking and tax collection centralized on the federal level. Also, a real personal identity number (not the serial number from an obscure Federal pension) and civil registration.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Make politicians accountable for their actions.

Ha ha.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Australia - I'd relocate it to the other side of the Pacific and a little north, say 500kms or so away from Mexico. We could then holiday in Latin America and wouldn't annoy our Asian neighbours so much with boorish Australian tourists.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
No elections, only duels.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
-Norway.
Reduce the sales tax/ VAT massivly, increase the wealth tax to make up for it.
Progessive taxation is the Nordic Way.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

-Denmark
Kalmar Union 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Canada

Make me the absolute dictator.

Alternatively, replace FPTP with additional member or mixed member proportional representation.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

No elections, only duels.

Foil, Epee, or Sabre? These distinctions matter.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thrakkorzog posted:

Foil, Epee, or Sabre? These distinctions matter.

Pistols.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I would end parliamentary liberal democracy, abolish the free market in the case of all homogenous products and limit it for heterogenous ones, and move towards communism.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

New Zealand - I would want to make referendums binding and have it mandatory that people vote (on referendums and in general voting). Non-binding referendums are a joke and anyone who doesn't vote because "It won't change a thing anyway" are just giving a vote/ego boost to the horrible guys.

Switzerland - The population should just be a bit less racist, that would be nice.

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Australia - I'd relocate it to the other side of the Pacific and a little north, say 500kms or so away from Mexico. We could then holiday in Latin America and wouldn't annoy our Asian neighbours so much with boorish Australian tourists.

I'm in Iceland right now and I just have to say that distance makes no difference, there are so many Australian tourists here that it's not even funny.

Laverna fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 21, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'd relocate Russia to an Earth-like planet in some other solar system.

The Carbon Tax
Sep 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Australia. Do something to deflate the housing bubble. The way things are going you're going to be spending literally a million dollars on your first house, which will probably be a shithole with no room for a dog.

edit: I would change the voting boundaries markedly. We have a bunch of different states - but the makeup of each state is pretty much the same. NSW doesn't need to be governed different from Qld or the NT. I'd redraw the lines so people living "in the sticks" aren't held hostage to the teeming masses of the cities.

The Carbon Tax fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 21, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Destroy Wall Street.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
The loving metric system.

I know it's silly to care about it so much, but seriously USA, you stupid special snowflakes.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
abolish healthcare, end education, firefighters burn things down.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
For the U.S., Congress pays no taxes on their income working for Congress, but they get taxed 100% for every dollar they make after what they get payed working in Congress. No loopholes, so if a congressman gets paid $150,000 a year, then they can only make $150,000 a year, period. Every penny they make after that goes back to the IRS. People shouldn't become multi-millionaires while working in congress.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

thrakkorzog posted:

For the U.S., Congress pays no taxes on their income working for Congress, but they get taxed 100% for every dollar they make after what they get payed working in Congress. No loopholes, so if a congressman gets paid $150,000 a year, then they can only make $150,000 a year, period. Every penny they make after that goes back to the IRS. People shouldn't become multi-millionaires while working in congress.

Corruption's a bad thing, but I don't see how it's better to offer an uncompetitive salary with no hope of advancement. This is the same thinking that leads to paying teachers lovely, and then claiming that they should be in it for the love of their profession. Yes, $150,000 is a nice salary, but it's really sweet gently caress all compared to what can be made in the private sector if you have the skills, experience and charisma to be elected to congress.

I'd rather just see stronger anti-corruption laws with stricter enforcement.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Corruption's a bad thing, but I don't see how it's better to offer an uncompetitive salary with no hope of advancement. This is the same thinking that leads to paying teachers lovely, and then claiming that they should be in it for the love of their profession. Yes, $150,000 is a nice salary, but it's really sweet gently caress all compared to what can be made in the private sector if you have the skills, experience and charisma to be elected to congress.

I'd rather just see stronger anti-corruption laws with stricter enforcement.

I don't want ambitious assholes representing me. I want people who see getting paid 150K a year to talk to their constituents as a pretty sweet deal.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I would radically alter who could stand for election, how the elections were run, and to what sort of positions they would be elected to.

Basically I would completely change the whole political system to something else.

If not that, I would focus on investment into housing development and do my best to normalise house-prices. Invest in nuclear and renewables. Co-operate with the EU. Cut back on the number of universities to increase investment in the better performing ones. Maybe make the weather a bit nicer. (UK)

Even still it's probably in my Top 10 places to live, mostly due to how hosed up everywhere else is.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
USA - Not allow the private sector to influence public policy. I know this is really vague/open, but I'm not sure of how to accomplish this. Obviously tighter regulation on lobbying, but obviously it goes a lot deeper than this.

E: This definitely includes people with ties of huge corporations be elected/nominated to public positions (I'm looking at you Clarence Thomas).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 1, 2014

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

thrakkorzog posted:

I would cap the salaries of congress at $75k a year, period (and term limits). If you're working for the public sector and "representing" the people, then you shouldn't be living a hugely luxurious lifestyle. Seriously, you're entire loving job is writing laws & imposing them on the public, most of which are attached with pork filled bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
To allow Freedom of speech, assembly, association, writing and political action, and to not have one group of people be above the law and above the religion and not have all the money of the country in their personal bank accounts.

if we're thinking smaller, the ability for women to drive.

If we're thinking smaller than that, the ability to write an opinion on twitter and not have it used as evidence against you to imprison you for a decade or so.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread