Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I would cut off farm aid.

It is a billion dollar boondogle that exists solely to line the pockets of millionaires. The small farm was killed off 60 years ago, so why do we have to pretend that farmers just stepped out of a Steinbeck novel? Most of the big farms are run by millionaires who can't be bothered to pay their employees minimum wage.

gently caress those guys.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Q != edit

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

It doesn't. It just points out that farming is profitable. Which just raises the question of why the federal government needs to throw money at farms. You know, beyond the fact that presidential candidates have to kiss rear end and suck balls to get through the primaries.

For that matter, let's move the first primaries out of Iowa and New Hampshire, and move the first primaries to states like New York, California, Florida, and Texas, where the vast majority of voters live.

Also: We should lower the drinking age back to 18. The prohibitionists over at MADD have made us look like pussys to all the other countries.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 10, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

No elections, only duels.

Foil, Epee, or Sabre? These distinctions matter.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
For the U.S., Congress pays no taxes on their income working for Congress, but they get taxed 100% for every dollar they make after what they get payed working in Congress. No loopholes, so if a congressman gets paid $150,000 a year, then they can only make $150,000 a year, period. Every penny they make after that goes back to the IRS. People shouldn't become multi-millionaires while working in congress.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Corruption's a bad thing, but I don't see how it's better to offer an uncompetitive salary with no hope of advancement. This is the same thinking that leads to paying teachers lovely, and then claiming that they should be in it for the love of their profession. Yes, $150,000 is a nice salary, but it's really sweet gently caress all compared to what can be made in the private sector if you have the skills, experience and charisma to be elected to congress.

I'd rather just see stronger anti-corruption laws with stricter enforcement.

I don't want ambitious assholes representing me. I want people who see getting paid 150K a year to talk to their constituents as a pretty sweet deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

This idea that politicians make too much money seems very well entrenched, and I'm not sure why. You need considerable qualifications, and realistically, you have a lot of responsibilities. The fact that a lot of people, particularly in the public sector, and underpaid can't be fixed by underpaying even more people.

For starters they have a tendency to get rich off of exempting themselves from the laws they write.

Let's say I have a buddy who knows that the government is about to award a multi-billion dollar contract to Boeing. So we pool up our money and buy up Boeing stock before the public announcement, on the reasonable assumption that a massive government contract would drive up the price of Boeing stock, and we would get rich from basically buying low and selling high.

That's insider trading, and it is very illegal and an easy way to end up in federal prison.

But Congress exempted itself from insider trading laws. So congresspeople on the Defense committee can buy up Boeing stock on the cheap, award a multi-billion dollar contract to Boeing, then make millions off the stock increase, and that is all perfectly legal.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 2, 2014

• Locked thread