Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's so hard to narrow down to one thing.

I've worked with a lot of kids who are in foster care or are abused/neglected at home, and if I had one magic wish it would be that no child would be born unwanted and that every child who was born had a loving and supportive family.

I would make medically-based sex education mandatory in schools, highly promoted in the media, loving posted on billboards and subway walls so everyone everywhere knows exactly how babies are made. Free condoms in every public lavatory, free hormonal birth control for any woman who asks for it, morning-after pill OTC, free clinics for pregnancy tests and pre-natal health care. Major cultural paradigm shift to stress that you should be 1000% sure you want to have a child (not a baby, a child that you will raise to adulthood) as well as have the financial/logistical/psychological/community support to raise the child well BEFORE you choose to become parents. First trimester abortions freely available, the adoption process cleaned up to make it well-regulated without being a prohibitively expensive/bureaucratic nightmare. Lots of social and financial support both to women placing their children with adoption services and with people adopting children. And also do something magical to take away the belief that a child is not really yours unless it shares your DNA.

Basically, create all kinds of services, programs, and proper regulations to ensure that those who want to and are able to be healthy parents become parents and those who do not want and/or are not able to be healthy parents do not.

And while I'm at it I'd eradicate war and use the money in the current defense budget to fund all this.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread