Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'd want to change the USA #1 attitude of a lot of Americans because I think it makes it more politically challenging to adopt sound policies that originated in other countries. Probably our most potent national myth is that we, or our ancestors at least, came to America to escape poverty and persecution in whatever old country we originated from. A lot of people seem to have that idea in the back of their minds when they're presented with something like universal healthcare or high speed rail, there's this idea that "sure they have it in Germany or wherever but why would we want to be like them when our ancestors fled them to get here?" Obviously it's not a universal thing, even among people who oppose the policies I'm talking about, but I think at the very least it makes it harder for good ideas to get off the ground if they're not purely American in origin.

That sort of national supremacy shows up in basically any large country though, regardless of what the supposed motivation is (e.g., "China has existed for 5000 years so obviously we know how to do things right").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh gee I cant wait to try this out and see what happens to me! I mean, hell if people posting on twitter can get 18 years and a travel ban on top of that of another 15 years, surely they'll read my post and go, "you know what, this kid is right".

and I'm also sure that this'll work alot better than the signed petitions sent directly to the same guy that ended up with everyone who signed currently serving life with no access to lawyers. nope. this time it's for real.

Hey, if The Hundred Flowers Campaign worked for Mao...

Baronjutter posted:

Fairly minor one since I'm in Canada, but I think it would be nice to have full blown communism and a total destruction of capitalism and class. Or maybe investigate some of those missing/murdered first nations women. Both would be nice.

The former will happen long before the latter.

• Locked thread