Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Most of these posts basically come down to finding ways of reducing corruption in our political system, and I think that they're kind of missing the forest for the trees. The US has systematized and legalized bribery as a key part of the system, and term limits and salary caps aren't effective end-runs around that. It was extant prior to Citizen United, and it is certainly part and parcel of American government now. Bribery exists on every level of the system, whether you're talking about campaign donations, material inducements, tit-for-tat deals, or straight-up job offers. The ability for the wealthy to use money to influence policy makes good government impossible. We spend millions influencing our politicians and our voters, and billions more carrying out the promises that are made in the process. If I were to change something about the United States, I'd start by coming up with effective laws and penalties that would sever the close relationship between money and politics. Considering how completely corrupted the American system is, that would probably involve some fundamental changes to American democracy.

gently caress the ROW posted:

If I could do just one thing to better the world it would be to ban all the Americans who posted in here from ever voting or holding public office, and try several of them for anti-democratic treason.

Well fortunately for everyone you can start with yourself.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Also perfectly legal is that Boeing can give those politicians a bunch of campaign contributions, host an all-expenses paid lobbyist conference for the politicians in the Bahamas, explain to them how they can make lots of money by supporting Boeing, and offer their kid a job as a Boeing consultant. And that's all gravy for Boeing, because the inevitable contract is 50x larger than the sum total of all their political spending.

• Locked thread