Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ungoal posted:

Care to elaborate why?

Because it's terrible and 90% of the people who live there are defective in some major way. I have family down there, and there's parts of it I kind of like, but when you get down to it, the good parts don't make up for the massive, massive bad parts.

And if you did it in winter, you could get rid of a lot of the most annoying breed of French Canadians too (specifically, the snooty, no-tipping, arrogant snowbird gently caress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Do you think Canada would function better with provinces the size of the states in New England instead of the monstrosities they have right now?

Myself, I doubt it. I think a better change would be to institute measures to make people living outside the proper city limits pay for their fair share of city services by making parking, transit, and other city services more expensive for people living in bedroom communities, or to simply make it easier for the city to annex outlying areas that are primarily reliant on the city. This could also, I imagine, apply to a great number of cities in the US. Suburbs and bedroom communities that remain legally separate from the cities that sustain them are a terrible drain.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

For the U.S., Congress pays no taxes on their income working for Congress, but they get taxed 100% for every dollar they make after what they get payed working in Congress. No loopholes, so if a congressman gets paid $150,000 a year, then they can only make $150,000 a year, period. Every penny they make after that goes back to the IRS. People shouldn't become multi-millionaires while working in congress.

Corruption's a bad thing, but I don't see how it's better to offer an uncompetitive salary with no hope of advancement. This is the same thinking that leads to paying teachers lovely, and then claiming that they should be in it for the love of their profession. Yes, $150,000 is a nice salary, but it's really sweet gently caress all compared to what can be made in the private sector if you have the skills, experience and charisma to be elected to congress.

I'd rather just see stronger anti-corruption laws with stricter enforcement.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This idea that politicians make too much money seems very well entrenched, and I'm not sure why. You need considerable qualifications, and realistically, you have a lot of responsibilities. The fact that a lot of people, particularly in the public sector, and underpaid can't be fixed by underpaying even more people.

• Locked thread