Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Currently have an i3 2100, gtx 460, 8gb ram, 840 evo ssd, 2 x 23" monitors and a lovely old case. I don't play super graphics intensive games, but I feel like that's mostly because my poo poo chugs. I'd like to have the option of playing new poo poo without dreading how it will run. I just bought Everquest Next Landmark (cpu intensive?) and it made me realize that my computer is pretty much a piece of poo poo. Besides that, I browse/video/use photoshop.

My budget is $400 or less, wondering if I should just upgrade my GPU or get a haswell i5/mobo/case and stick with my gtx 460 until the next mid range cards drop?

edit: woah dude above me has pretty much the same question, hello.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Is my i3 2100 so long in the tooth that I should upgrade to haswell, or just buy a new gpu? I game a bit at 1080p. I have a gtx 460 at the moment, I can afford to upgrade one or the other right now, probably both down the line.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hace posted:

At the end of the day, you will get much more performance from simply upgrading your GPU, trust me.

I trust you, I imagine it will make Everquest Landmark Next playable at least, even though it's cpu heavy. I plan on upgrading everything this year, I just can't do it all at once. I'll pick up a 760 though, thanks.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

At most, you could probably get by with just finding an ivy or sandy i5 instead of tossing a 1155 board just for Haswell.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Kind of surprised that the i5-3570k and the i5-4570k are pretty much the same price, but I suppose the perfomance increase isn't worth the $70~ it would cost to buy a new mobo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can anyone tell me where we are in the gpu development cycle? Just wondering if we're close (a few months?) Or should I just get a 760 now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

we're in the gpu pit.

Cool. Also, I have an Antec Neo Eco 520w, will that provide enough power to run this gtx 760? If so, will it be able to handle an i5-3750k if I decide to upgrade from my i3-2100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

Price match the i5-4570 at Staples.com with this link: (this is a cached link atm their website seems to be down)
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.microcenter.com/product/413255/Intel_Core_i5-4570_32GHz_Boxed_Processor[/url]
+$40

Can this be done online, or is it an in-store type of thing?

edit: oh I see people do this through the live chat feature

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2014

• Locked thread