Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Expected in actual out please and thank you. Usually you only do those at the beginning of the month, but I'm curious to see where everything is sitting. In a nice spreadsheet.

Also you're going to have 3 bank accounts? One that houses all the money, and 2 separate ones in which you transfer 200 dollars into each month?

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^it would be good to get this setup and the details figured out this month so it is ready to roll for may.

Hand of the King posted:

Some highlights from over the weekend.

- Wife happily agreed to pooling our assets. She concurs we'd have a better sense of our finances/budget. We will have one account to where both of our paychecks will deposited, but we'll also have our own separate where we'll have our "fun" money.

- Wife wanted $200/mo of fun money instead of $150, however. Ok.

If you just track it you don't need those 2 other accounts for your fun money.

My wife and I just note where an expense goes in the budget. I just spent $500 in Vegas and I saved my fun money for 3 months to do it. On the other hand my wife has spent $29.44 (mostly lunch with the gals when we ran out of going out money). I track it all on or spread sheet and everything is good.

Also you totally caved man.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

spwrozek posted:

If you just track it you don't need those 2 other accounts for your fun money.

FWIW I find it very useful (mentally) to separate my fun money into a separate account. I don't want to track fun poo poo - I just want to spend to my bank balance there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a pretty good point.

I am crazy about spreadsheets and knowing where every dollar goes. Which will drive some people crazy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That is a good point. Are you scared your wife is going to cook the books? Why the gently caress do you have multiple separate accounts for your fun money if you're properly budgeting? Unless she wants to hide her purchases from you? Does she have a reason to hide what she buys from you?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
You seem kind of hostile, man. Chill out.

My wife and I already had our own separate checking and savings account before we even met. I don't know why this is some kind of unfathomable possibility.

Also, this:

CountOfNowhere posted:

FWIW I find it very useful (mentally) to separate my fun money into a separate account. I don't want to track fun poo poo - I just want to spend to my bank balance there.

This was our reasoning.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm not going to be chill about seeing your expected out actual out excel spreadsheet :colbert:

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
The balance transfer on the Chase went through on Chase's end but it shows nothing on the AmEx. :wtf: Hopefully I did this right

I've been trying to land a senior position at my current company in another office and in other companies, but I haven't been successful. I've only had one interview so far and I got turned down as they went with another internal candidate.

Should I just suck it up and apply for a lateral move instead? As I've mentioned before, I may be out of a job come end of July. Should I be in desperate mode yet?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Hand of the King posted:

The balance transfer on the Chase went through on Chase's end but it shows nothing on the AmEx. :wtf: Hopefully I did this right

I've been trying to land a senior position at my current company in another office and in other companies, but I haven't been successful. I've only had one interview so far and I got turned down as they went with another internal candidate.

Should I just suck it up and apply for a lateral move instead? As I've mentioned before, I may be out of a job come end of July. Should I be in desperate mode yet?

It might take a few days for it to show up. I did an $8000 balance transfer from my Amex to a Chase Slate a couple years ago and it took like 2 weeks for it to show up on both accounts.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Hand of the King posted:

It can take 2-3 business days to show up no either end.

Also, would a lateral move prevent you from pursuing a more senior position in the future? If not, why not secure job security first?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Expected out, actual out. In a spreadsheet. Pronto!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Where is the spreadsheet?!

OneWhoKnows posted:

Also, would a lateral move prevent you from pursuing a more senior position in the future? If not, why not secure job security first?
My company prevents new transfers within a 6-12mo period after transferring positions, depending on the terms you agree to with your hiring manager. I assume that is semi normal, but I have no clue as it's never been something I've had to deal with before.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Be careful with the extra checking accounts. A lot of banks will charge monthly fees if you don't meet certain criteria. For example a minimum balance or a monthly direct deposit. Might be something you forgot about the requirements of if the account was opened long ago.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Felter Chesthard posted:

Be careful with the extra checking accounts. A lot of banks will charge monthly fees if you don't meet certain criteria. For example a minimum balance or a monthly direct deposit. Might be something you forgot about the requirements of if the account was opened long ago.
Switch to a credit union if you use a bank that is so lovely as to charge you to store your money in their bank and utilize it as part of their liquidity measure.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I also recommend switching to a credit union if you can get into one, many people can't if the only credit unions around are selective.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I also recommend switching to a credit union if you can get into one, many people can't if the only credit unions around are selective.

I third the recommendation. Some credit unions are only for employees of particular companies or public service organizations, but I've opened accounts at three different credit unions in my adult life, and all three only required you to live or work in this or that county. (Why so many? Because I've moved a lot. However, I still have two of those three accounts, and the other credit union might have let me keep my account even after I had moved, if I had asked.)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I had to pull some weird voodoo to get into my credit union but it was worth it just to have access to the lower interest rates for mortgages. If my wife didn't work at a bank all of my liquid assets would probably be at a credit union.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

SiGmA_X posted:

Switch to a credit union if you use a bank that is so lovely as to charge you to store your money in their bank and utilize it as part of their liquidity measure.

I'm not being charged anything. Just don't know his situation and thought a word of warning could be helpful.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How was this thread made 10 days ago and still there's no sign of this excel spreadsheet. :cmon: Mr hands.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm curious to see this spreadsheet too. My fiancee and I are working on the same thing right now. It's a tough thing to start up but we're getting into it!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well, I came in, told you the sky is falling and that you need to do these updates so you can get proper help. What happened? Did you talk to the wife and things didn't work out? Are you stalling because it's daunting? Updates Mr hands come on now.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Hello, thread.

We're in the middle of moving from one apartment to another due to the rent price increase. Also, wife's been traveling for work a lot and she's been spending the "$50 per day for meals" allowed during travel and will be reimbursed later on, so the monies are all a big mess. May shouldn't be so bad, and June should be back to normal.

In the mean time, the direct deposit of both of our paychecks is still pending. It takes a few pay periods.

Good news is that, according to my forecast, we will be able to pay the $1,300 (probably more) on the AmEx.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Hand of the King posted:

Hello, thread.

We're in the middle of moving from one apartment to another due to the rent price increase. Also, wife's been traveling for work a lot and she's been spending the "$50 per day for meals" allowed during travel and will be reimbursed later on, so the monies are all a big mess. May shouldn't be so bad, and June should be back to normal.

In the mean time, the direct deposit of both of our paychecks is still pending. It takes a few pay periods.

Good news is that, according to my forecast, we will be able to pay the $1,300 (probably more) on the AmEx.

Small tip from a frequent business traveler: have your wife try to eat for $25 a day and pocket the rest of the money. She can always run to the grocery store or target or whatever quick before her first meeting or after her last.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If she's getting reimbursed, that won't work, because she won't have receipts that she can get reimbursed on.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nail Rat posted:

If she's getting reimbursed, that won't work, because she won't have receipts that she can get reimbursed on.

Missed the key word "reimbursed" But hopefully they do a per diem. I've made thousands of dollars this way.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

Missed the key word "reimbursed" But hopefully they do a per diem. I've made thousands of dollars this way.

This is not normal for white collar jobs. Got to have that proof. Field people get per diem where I work though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I mean, like... Why not budget a line in your spreadsheet for reimbursements so that way you can budget money out of your real money, and then add it as income later? That way you have a good grasp on your current money, but also a solid grasp on how much you'll be getting back. You know though, in a spreadsheet or on ynab or something.

Or do you just hate the idea of spreadsheets/ynab showing us your detailed budget or what?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

I mean, like... Why not budget a line in your spreadsheet for reimbursements so that way you can budget money out of your real money, and then add it as income later? That way you have a good grasp on your current money, but also a solid grasp on how much you'll be getting back. You know though, in a spreadsheet or on ynab or something.

Or do you just hate the idea of spreadsheets/ynab showing us your detailed budget or what?
I would say use a separate line and rollover the balance to the next month, and reverse it with the reimbursement.

But it does appear Hands hates budgeting.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

This is not normal for white collar jobs. Got to have that proof. Field people get per diem where I work though.

I work in public accounting, every firm I know does per diem. Unless you're taking the client out to a meal, but then that eclipses the per diem cost usually. It costs a hell of a lot more to process those receipts than it does to just give the GSA per diem.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Consulting here; we reimburse but it's honor system on all items under $75 because hassling with receipts is dumb.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

I work in public accounting, every firm I know does per diem. Unless you're taking the client out to a meal, but then that eclipses the per diem cost usually. It costs a hell of a lot more to process those receipts than it does to just give the GSA per diem.

Fair enough. All the engineering firms I know are the other way. We will not pay or consultants without receipts either.

I guess technically you don't need a receipt under $20 but then you get to fill out another form, so just keep the receipt. Company card transactions go right into sum total and you scan in the receipt (just take a picture with your phone if you are smart). It is super fast and easy.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Slow Motion posted:

Consulting here; we reimburse but it's honor system on all items under $75 because hassling with receipts is dumb.

So basically a $75 discount on hookers and blow, not bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The engineering firms I've worked with all do a per diem with no receipts. Didn't know that on my first trip and ate out and ordered lobsters and filet mignon just to spend it all. Found out I didn't need to do that so the next times I just picked poo poo up at the grocery store for pocketed most of the money.

Saxon
Jan 21, 2006
NEEDS MORE CRIT

Hand of the King posted:

Income
$130,000/year (me: $65k / her: $65k)
$6,400/month ($3,200/$3,200)

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't your income be ~$5,000/mo per person? From the monthly income that you've posted, your combined income would be ~$76800...

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Saxon posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't your income be ~$5,000/mo per person? From the monthly income that you've posted, your combined income would be ~$76800...

Taxes, pre-tax things like health insurance, 401k contributions....

I make $6958/month (83,000) but after taxes alone its only $5008/month. Then there's health insurance and 401k contributions...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

OP please come back for a monthly update. Something something Lannister.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I've been paying my debts like any good Lannister would.

Things are going well for the most part. However, we moved twice in the past 3 weeks and that drained a lot of our left over money. The first apartment was a NIGHTMARE to live in when it came to peacefulness (neighbors wouldn't shut up day and night) so we had to get out of there ASAP. Thank god for the 30 day guarantee. The new place is much better.

I forgot to mention, my wife chipped her tooth and it needed to get fixed. Goodbye lots of money. I should've been a dentist.

I've had a couple of phone interviews and a job I really, really want scheduled an in-person interview for 21st. Hooray! Please send me positive thoughts. This job pays more than my current one, so I'm really hoping I get this.

Our monies are in 1 account and it's made paying bills much easier and I can keep a closer eye on it. Since my last post, we've gone out to eat only 5 times, which I think is pretty good. We've been making lots of meals at home, so I can already see the difference.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hand of the King posted:

I've been paying my debts like any good Lannister would.

Things are going well for the most part. However, we moved twice in the past 3 weeks and that drained a lot of our left over money. The first apartment was a NIGHTMARE to live in when it came to peacefulness (neighbors wouldn't shut up day and night) so we had to get out of there ASAP. Thank god for the 30 day guarantee. The new place is much better.

I forgot to mention, my wife chipped her tooth and it needed to get fixed. Goodbye lots of money. I should've been a dentist.

I've had a couple of phone interviews and a job I really, really want scheduled an in-person interview for 21st. Hooray! Please send me positive thoughts. This job pays more than my current one, so I'm really hoping I get this.

Our monies are in 1 account and it's made paying bills much easier and I can keep a closer eye on it. Since my last post, we've gone out to eat only 5 times, which I think is pretty good. We've been making lots of meals at home, so I can already see the difference.
But no budget? Whatever works for you, man, but you have a lot of obligations and a budget is a smart thing. It gives you a plan. You seem smart enough to see the need for a plan, so make one!

On the flipside, good work not eating out and cooking more, and finally combining finances.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm not going to harp on you for the lack of budget if you feel like this is working. If it is working great! More power to you.

I will ask though, why no budget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The Lanisters are completely broke though.

• Locked thread