Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

When an interstate (I-5,70,94,etc) goes through a major metro a loop highway off of it is usually labeled with a 4, so 405, 470, 494, etc. You also see 2 and 6 before the main highway.

And yeah man, I-5 runs up the entire coast. Odd numbers go north and south with the smaller numbers starting on the west coast and increasing as you go east. Even numbers run east and west with smaller numbers starting in the south and increasing as you go north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Plus interstates like 75 and 70 sound way better as I-75/70. The 70 or 75 sounds dumb as hell.

To actually contribute I wish you luck and think you can get out of this pretty easily. I would have a goal to pay off all the CC debt by January 1. It really is doable.

When do you both get bonuses? Have you agreed to earmark it to debt no matter what?

If I was you I would figure out how to become a one bank account family. No need for his money and her money. I think it is a better way to be married and makes for a terrific relationship. But it isn't for everyone. When you do something off budget it really hits home though since you are hurting the family and not just your bank account.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you don't carry change you can't get a cart at Aldi's though...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

Did you pool pre marital debt when you got married? Because that's the reason the OP should be pooling his assets with his wife.

This is the key. If you are sharing debt how can you not share income?

This has worked well for my wife and I (I had no debt when we got married). sometimes she says she feels terrible since a lot of our money goes to 'her' debt but I can tell her it is our money so it is all good. If we split everything on the bills and I made her pay her debt with her money she would be in debt forever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^it would be good to get this setup and the details figured out this month so it is ready to roll for may.

Hand of the King posted:

Some highlights from over the weekend.

- Wife happily agreed to pooling our assets. She concurs we'd have a better sense of our finances/budget. We will have one account to where both of our paychecks will deposited, but we'll also have our own separate where we'll have our "fun" money.

- Wife wanted $200/mo of fun money instead of $150, however. Ok.

If you just track it you don't need those 2 other accounts for your fun money.

My wife and I just note where an expense goes in the budget. I just spent $500 in Vegas and I saved my fun money for 3 months to do it. On the other hand my wife has spent $29.44 (mostly lunch with the gals when we ran out of going out money). I track it all on or spread sheet and everything is good.

Also you totally caved man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is a pretty good point.

I am crazy about spreadsheets and knowing where every dollar goes. Which will drive some people crazy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

Missed the key word "reimbursed" But hopefully they do a per diem. I've made thousands of dollars this way.

This is not normal for white collar jobs. Got to have that proof. Field people get per diem where I work though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bloody Queef posted:

I work in public accounting, every firm I know does per diem. Unless you're taking the client out to a meal, but then that eclipses the per diem cost usually. It costs a hell of a lot more to process those receipts than it does to just give the GSA per diem.

Fair enough. All the engineering firms I know are the other way. We will not pay or consultants without receipts either.

I guess technically you don't need a receipt under $20 but then you get to fill out another form, so just keep the receipt. Company card transactions go right into sum total and you scan in the receipt (just take a picture with your phone if you are smart). It is super fast and easy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hopefully that new job will get this debt out the door. How you guys doing on that anyways?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You might want to check your taxes out. I don't remember all your details but you are bringing quite a bit home after tax (vs what you make) and may get stuck with a big bill in the spring. Or you could be close but next year on a full year at those salaries get screwed.

The IRS has a calculator you can use to estimate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hand of the King posted:

You guys are scaring me and this IRS withholding calculator is confusing as hell.

Next year will be the first time filling taxes together as a married couple. Should we head off to HR Block and ensure we're wordings are fine so we don't owe?

Just tell us how much money total from all your jobs you are going to make and how much has been withheld and how much you expect to be withheld for the rest of the year. We can just quick calc it assuming standard deductions.

Also I will tell you making that much money next year if you have your federal withholding at married and 0 for both of you, you will owe money. It doesn't look like you have anything that will push you over the standard deduction. So just something to consider.

And yeah that calculator is confusing for sure.

• Locked thread