Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Find a mexican grocery store. Your food budget is high for SoCal - produce is a lot cheaper there than in other parts of the country.

Agreed, $500 is pretty high for 2 people. Do you guys cook for yourselves or are you buying prepared meals from grocery stores or shopping at somewhere like Whole Foods?

My wife and I can make $400 cover a months worth of food, toiletries and miscellaneous household supplies by cooking for ourselves and buying stuff on sale. We also live in a pretty expensive area (Vancouver, BC) so this is one of the better ways that we found to cut our expenses. It was pretty shocking for my wife when I showed her that a pre-made salad from a grocery store that costs $7 can be made from about $2 worth of ingredients.

Get into a habit of looking at grocery store flyers, make a menu for the week and a grocery list based on that menu. When I go into a grocery store without a list, I inevitably end up buying a bunch of poo poo that I don't use.

You're not at a point where you need to be living off of rice and beans and instant noodles, but if you're picky, have expensive tastes, or don't think that you have the time or desire to learn to cook, then now's the time to get over it. There are tons of threads in GWS for learning how to cook and cooking on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread