Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Good job, because you make over $100k annually. You shouldn't have any issues paying down your debt.

That said I would probably use that Roth money to pay down your debt (penalty free withdraw of principal) since a good chunk of your debt has really high interest rates and you apparently have a well funded 401k. Get the high interest rate stuff paid down asap and then start funding your Roth again.

Foma posted:

Post or pretax ROTH? I think paying down the 16% interest is going to be better than any Return on investment you are going to make. Some opportunity costs and I would only think to look at it for penalty free money.

A ROTH is always post tax I think, anyway, this is my sentiment exactly.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

Goal 1: Pay off AmEx by April 2015

Personally I think this should be your goal for all of your CC debt and then some. Honestly with the ROTH and your cash reserves you could pay down that Amex now.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 9, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Subtracting out student loans, debt/car payment his spending isn't really that bad. The only thing that scares me is his rent (650 bucks more than my mortgage, literally a house and a condo here in the south) but I'm guessing he lives in one of those areas where that's considered normal or he just wants to live in a nice place. If he just wants to live in a nice high end apartment that's fine I guess, even if he wanted to downgrade his wife might not be on board with that.

Yeah, overall I think you're fine. Just pay off that Amex asap (like this month) and then tackle the rest of your cc debt. The interest rate on your car is really low so I would ignore that one until after you've got an emergency fund and you've maxed a ROTH.

My guess is the interest on the student loan is cheap?

I hate to say this but you're kinda set. I wish this is one of those threads that I could see myself spending a lot of time in but you really have everything you need. Good bye. :wave:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, that's a good plan. Either way you'll be fine in the long term as long as you maintain your income level and take care of your debt in a timely manner.

How secure do you consider your jobs?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Engineer Lenk posted:

Trader Joe's and Mexican grocery stores will save you money.

Vons/Pavilions is Safeway and Ralph's is Kroger. Both tend to mark poo poo up a lot except for club card sales.

Latin grocery stores really only have deals on fruits, veges and specialty items. Everything else is overpriced because they're the only store fully staffed with Spanish speaking associates so they end up with a monopoly on a rather large chunk of the Latin community. Since many of those people only speak Spanish they don't shop anywhere else so the store can get away with raising prices on everyday items.

I suggest Aldi in every thread, if there's one in your area I really recommend checking it out. They have equivalent generic brands for everything and very well priced fruits and vegetables. EX: An avocado at Target is around $1.80 while an avocado at Aldi is $0.89. I think I saw a Pineapple at Target or Harris Teeter once for $3.50 or something and couldn't help but laugh because I can get those for a $1.00 at Aldi. It's all the same stuff.

What I said about the Mexican grocery stores applies to places like Target and other grocery stores as well. A good chunk of the people that shop at Target are shopping there because of the "scenery" I've been told: "Less black/hispanic people", "Less fatties", "More attractive associates", "More attractive customers", and "There's a Starbucks inside!" so of course people are willing to pay a premium for that. Once one of my co-workers told me that their grocery bill was outrageous and when I suggested Aldi he turned up his nose in utter disgust and muttered "I don't shop at Aldi." like I had insulted him or something.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

spwrozek posted:

If you don't carry change you can't get a cart at Aldi's though...

Yeah you have to have a quarter on hand (don't worry you get it back) to use a grocery cart at Aldi. 50% of the time I don't get a cart and just use my Aldi bag or grab one of their cardboard boxes, load up, pay and head out.

I once met a homeless guy that was carrying peoples carts back to the store for the quarter :unsmith: .... :smith:

Anyway, I actually do like the atmosphere at Aldi. Sometimes I feel like I'm shopping with my fellow peasants and other times I feel like I'm shopping with a bunch of strong-independent or healthy living types.

"Sorry twig boy but I bag my own groceries"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I also recommend switching to a credit union if you can get into one, many people can't if the only credit unions around are selective.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I had to pull some weird voodoo to get into my credit union but it was worth it just to have access to the lower interest rates for mortgages. If my wife didn't work at a bank all of my liquid assets would probably be at a credit union.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Slow Motion posted:

Consulting here; we reimburse but it's honor system on all items under $75 because hassling with receipts is dumb.

So basically a $75 discount on hookers and blow, not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Lanisters are completely broke though.

Yeah, Tywin should have went to BFC a long time ago.

• Locked thread