Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

If I was you I would figure out how to become a one bank account family. No need for his money and her money. I think it is a better way to be married and makes for a terrific relationship. But it isn't for everyone. When you do something off budget it really hits home though since you are hurting the family and not just your bank account.

This shouldn't get lost in dumb freeway chat.

You're married, not roommates.

You're seeing your debt as consolidated between both of you, this should happen with your assets too.

Separate bank accounts are common with couples that get married later in life, but gently caress, you're 29. Pool your assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Inverse Icarus posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I've been in a relationship with my wife for 8 years, married for three and a half of them, and I'll be 30 next week, and we really prefer keeping our finances separate.

In the beginning it was very much "if poo poo falls apart I want my money separate," and when we became a family we just stuck with it. We split up the utilities and we each pay half the mortgage, and whenever there's a big purchase we work out something so no one feels like they get hosed over. For example, when we got a new fence, we each paid for half, and this January my wife put $10,000 into home improvements (removing popcorn ceiling, recessed lighting throughout the house), and I threw an extra $10k onto the mortgage.

It's worked out really well. We split everything mostly equally, but we keep our own accounts, which means when she goes out and spends gods knows what on shoes, she not touching "my money," and similarly when I go out and buy a bunch of stupid Warmachine pieces or a 3d printer I used for two months and forgot about, she doesn't sweat me either.

Full disclosure: We're both tech workers in the Bay Area, and money has never been an issue for either of us. I totally understand that some families work better with pooled assets. Find what works for you, but don't combine your assets just because you think you're supposed to.

Did you pool pre marital debt when you got married? Because that's the reason the OP should be pooling his assets with his wife.

Since this is BFC I'll say the following: your wife should be judging you for buying a 3d printer that you never used.

It's just kind of weird that you would want what is a seriously major part of your life to not be shared with your wife.

Are you both fully funding your own separate retirement accounts? Are you both saving enough beyond those limits since you live in a high cost area? If your wife blows all her non bill money and you diligently save your whole life are you going to tell her to get hosed and eat cat food when you both retire?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Hand of the King posted:

Hello, thread.

We're in the middle of moving from one apartment to another due to the rent price increase. Also, wife's been traveling for work a lot and she's been spending the "$50 per day for meals" allowed during travel and will be reimbursed later on, so the monies are all a big mess. May shouldn't be so bad, and June should be back to normal.

In the mean time, the direct deposit of both of our paychecks is still pending. It takes a few pay periods.

Good news is that, according to my forecast, we will be able to pay the $1,300 (probably more) on the AmEx.

Small tip from a frequent business traveler: have your wife try to eat for $25 a day and pocket the rest of the money. She can always run to the grocery store or target or whatever quick before her first meeting or after her last.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nail Rat posted:

If she's getting reimbursed, that won't work, because she won't have receipts that she can get reimbursed on.

Missed the key word "reimbursed" But hopefully they do a per diem. I've made thousands of dollars this way.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

This is not normal for white collar jobs. Got to have that proof. Field people get per diem where I work though.

I work in public accounting, every firm I know does per diem. Unless you're taking the client out to a meal, but then that eclipses the per diem cost usually. It costs a hell of a lot more to process those receipts than it does to just give the GSA per diem.

• Locked thread