Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Well, your budget isn't unreasonable, I guess you are just getting killed by the monthly CC payments and transportation-related costs (I assume you live in an area with pretty high rent). Some small changes you could try making though

- Do you own your phones? Might be worth checking out a carrier like Aio or T-Mobile, as you'd likely reduce your mobile phone bill by $50-70 doing that.
- Like others I think you could probably cut your food/entertainment budget a bit. It's not unreasonable, but you could certainly go a bit lower. What's your eating expenses like right now? Do you or your wife eat out for lunch? If so, that's an easy place to reduce your eating out costs. $300/mo suggests to me you don't do that, but in any case..
- Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, you might be able to save some money on the cat stuff without changing what you buy, by buying it from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Bloody Queef posted:

This shouldn't get lost in dumb freeway chat.

You're married, not roommates.

You're seeing your debt as consolidated between both of you, this should happen with your assets too.

Separate bank accounts are common with couples that get married later in life, but gently caress, you're 29. Pool your assets.
I am actually a bit surprised to hear this as advice. I mean, I don't disagree--my wife and I pooled our bank accounts a few years ago (I'm 27, she's 28), and it's worked really well for us. When she was going through school, I made money and supported us, and there wasn't a "my" and "her" money aspect to it. Now that she makes much bigger bucks than me it's working the other way. It works really well for us, but usually when I hear it brought up in BFC, people are pretty negative or neutral towards asset-pooling.

I do agree in this case, though, especially if you're considering the debts as consolidated, you should make the assets consolidated too.

• Locked thread