Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Hand of the King posted:

The debt snowball sounds fun because I can knock out that Chase card this week (payment is due on 4/11). But mathematically, it makes sense to hit the AmEx with the $7k to minimize fees incurred from the interest. Man, I'm so conflicted. Please, help me, internet. Make decisions for me!!!

There's a decent chance the snowball method will come out ahead mathematically if you end up getting a good balance transfer offer once Chase is completely paid off and you stop using it for a couple of months. If you can commit to not using credit cards for any of your spending, I would go this route.

If you can't commit to a cash or debit-only existence (seriously consider if you can though, it would go much better for your spending habits), getting in the habit of paying in full may be worth more long-term as a behavioral habit than the money you'd save in interest. Se empty the Chase card, zero it out for a month, then cut up your other cards (or put them in the freezer) and only use the Chase card, set to pay in full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Find a mexican grocery store. Your food budget is high for SoCal - produce is a lot cheaper there than in other parts of the country.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Hand of the King posted:

Nah, we just shop at Vons/Ralphs and occasionally at Costco and Gelson's.

Trader Joe's and Mexican grocery stores will save you money.

Vons/Pavilions is Safeway and Ralph's is Kroger. Both tend to mark poo poo up a lot except for club card sales.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Don't think Aldi's in Socal yet. My inlaws live in Orange and frequent TJ's, Super Irvine and a Mexican grocery store that took over their local Albertson's after the strike for staples, along with Mother's market and sometimes Ranch 99 for specialty items.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

OneWhoKnows posted:

poo poo, you guys saying $500 is too much for a grocery budget make me feel like I need to revisit my own spending.

Grocery budget is pretty regional. I've lived in Socal and grocery money went considerably further than it did when I moved up to Seattle, because fresh produce was far more expensive.

Still called it the 5 and the 405 for the first 5 years I was up here. Old habits die hard.

• Locked thread