Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Did you get your wife to buy in? This won't work if she isn't all in. You guys make too much money to be poor - and you guys are very poor. I don't mean that as an insult at all, it's just the reality of it.

I would consider getting rid of her car, but I realize that may not be functional. It would get you out of debt a lot sooner and then you could buy a nicer car for cash.

I would look up the student loan info in more detail. Maybe you can consolidate and reduce rates, or pay a few bucks less and more to the higher interest CC's, etc.

What do you use to track and plan expenses? I use Quicken and YNAB. Kind of a pain to do both, but I absolutely hate YNAB reports (so limited), and I hate Quicken 'budgeting'. I wonder if it got better for 2014.

Good luck. BFC will be a good sounding board for you. And make sure to get buyin from your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I have a lot of comments but I'm on my phone and don't want to type so much.

1) Your rent doesn't seem insane to me. Housing costs vary greatly by area. The south is a very poor comparative market for anyone who doesn't like on the south or a slum.
2) The Chase balance transfer is a fantastic idea. I would definitely do it.
3) Your idea to have cash reserves is super valid and smart. What isn't is the debt. I'm really glad you thought maybe you need a little help with planning to save and posted up. BFC is eye opening to say the least!
4) I wouldn't touch your Roth to get out of debt. I am of the opinion that it makes you feel more mentally okay with doing that again down the road. Maybe that is baseless and maybe you're not one of those people. How's that working out for SloMo? Time and time again. I forget what it is my friends boss buys with his 401k loans, but I think it's a new car every so often. The idiot would be better served using his savings account for that but he has no impulse control. Again, may not apply to you, but it's a slippery slope I wouldn't advise anyone start to go down.
5) I'm not sure how I feel about separate bank accounts. I mean I am sure - I'm against it - but it works for some people. I would suggest pulling credit every 4 months too, your wife seems to be the spender and maybe she will feel limited on $50/mo and open a line of credit. May not apply, but the ideal of separate bank accounts and entirely letting you manage things worries me, I've seen poor results with this before. Then again it could work awesome, it works great for my gf's folks. But they make a *lot* of money and her moms biweekly play money is *very* solid.

To everyone who says this isn't much debt etc, including myself before the car and student loans became clear, think about how people react to SloMo. He makes a little more than this couple, and has half the debt, and everyone freaks out at him constantly.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Tolls - Grr I could go on about them... I only pay for em coming back from my gf's beach house, but I hate them so much. What a scam on the public. I get the purpose, tax those who use it, but roads are public assets (or mostly are, and should be) and toll roads are utter bullshit. /rant

You said 5&405, do you live in Seattle? Your rent seems normal to me, and probably food costs too.

We buy large dog Frontline at Costco ($70/6pk) and split it up using a graduated dropper and Excel. Makes 6 doses last 5 months for our pack of 3 dogs and a cat. You could do similar for the cats, just a suggestion. It is totally less easy, but it takes under 5 minutes once a month. I've gotten very use to it as I'm a big fan of flea drops and not a big fan of giving manufactures my money for no good reason :)

Cat food - I don't see the benefit of wet over dry. I definitely see the benefit to raw over wet or dry, but wet is meh. Some cats are picky, but that's because of their owners more than anything. They'll figure out dry food right quick. Raw or dry, don't half rear end it!

Veskit posted:

Not going to lie.

Slow motion motivated me to get my poo poo together. Reading that thread made it ghastly apparent that I had to change, or things would be really bad. Really really bad.
Same here!!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 9, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
We have a 5/405 here in PDX too. I know a fair amount of people who call freeways "the #", likely due to how many Californians moved north in the 90's. I should have known better though - I think it's the 90 not 405 that is a toll road in Seattle.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't forget 217 and I-84!

In Portland we don't put "The" in front of anything. It's either "Eye Five" or "Two Seventeen"
Ironically it was not this way in the 90s. I remember my dad bitching about the change back in the mid-90's. Now, its exactly as you and CoutnOfNowhere say.

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I'm not from California either. Do you guys also like to use names too? I mean like some highways are named and I hate it when people tell me to take the Pony Express Highway instead of "take the 44." Also I have an issue when people say "exit left on Washingon." Well drat it which exit number is that? They're all numbered so if I see exit 10 and my exit is 16 then I know I've got 16 exits left to go.
Only for surface street highways, like Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway (BHH) which is Oregon Route 10. It is a 2 lane surface street and I call it BHH as do most people, but some people (like CountOfNowhere) call it hwy 10.

waffle posted:

I am actually a bit surprised to hear this as advice. I mean, I don't disagree--my wife and I pooled our bank accounts a few years ago (I'm 27, she's 28), and it's worked really well for us. When she was going through school, I made money and supported us, and there wasn't a "my" and "her" money aspect to it. Now that she makes much bigger bucks than me it's working the other way. It works really well for us, but usually when I hear it brought up in BFC, people are pretty negative or neutral towards asset-pooling.

I do agree in this case, though, especially if you're considering the debts as consolidated, you should make the assets consolidated too.
Really? I thought everything I've seen here said pool.

Having differences in your blow budget vs your partners could be acceptable depending on who brought the debt in (Tuyop did this) but married couples are joint venture and should operate that way, IMO. It makes you more accountable and jointly involved in the budget and expense processes.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Where is the spreadsheet?!

OneWhoKnows posted:

Also, would a lateral move prevent you from pursuing a more senior position in the future? If not, why not secure job security first?
My company prevents new transfers within a 6-12mo period after transferring positions, depending on the terms you agree to with your hiring manager. I assume that is semi normal, but I have no clue as it's never been something I've had to deal with before.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Felter Chesthard posted:

Be careful with the extra checking accounts. A lot of banks will charge monthly fees if you don't meet certain criteria. For example a minimum balance or a monthly direct deposit. Might be something you forgot about the requirements of if the account was opened long ago.
Switch to a credit union if you use a bank that is so lovely as to charge you to store your money in their bank and utilize it as part of their liquidity measure.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

I mean, like... Why not budget a line in your spreadsheet for reimbursements so that way you can budget money out of your real money, and then add it as income later? That way you have a good grasp on your current money, but also a solid grasp on how much you'll be getting back. You know though, in a spreadsheet or on ynab or something.

Or do you just hate the idea of spreadsheets/ynab showing us your detailed budget or what?
I would say use a separate line and rollover the balance to the next month, and reverse it with the reimbursement.

But it does appear Hands hates budgeting.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hand of the King posted:

I've been paying my debts like any good Lannister would.

Things are going well for the most part. However, we moved twice in the past 3 weeks and that drained a lot of our left over money. The first apartment was a NIGHTMARE to live in when it came to peacefulness (neighbors wouldn't shut up day and night) so we had to get out of there ASAP. Thank god for the 30 day guarantee. The new place is much better.

I forgot to mention, my wife chipped her tooth and it needed to get fixed. Goodbye lots of money. I should've been a dentist.

I've had a couple of phone interviews and a job I really, really want scheduled an in-person interview for 21st. Hooray! Please send me positive thoughts. This job pays more than my current one, so I'm really hoping I get this.

Our monies are in 1 account and it's made paying bills much easier and I can keep a closer eye on it. Since my last post, we've gone out to eat only 5 times, which I think is pretty good. We've been making lots of meals at home, so I can already see the difference.
But no budget? Whatever works for you, man, but you have a lot of obligations and a budget is a smart thing. It gives you a plan. You seem smart enough to see the need for a plan, so make one!

On the flipside, good work not eating out and cooking more, and finally combining finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

You might want to check your taxes out. I don't remember all your details but you are bringing quite a bit home after tax (vs what you make) and may get stuck with a big bill in the spring. Or you could be close but next year on a full year at those salaries get screwed.

The IRS has a calculator you can use to estimate it.
Happened to my buddy. Both he and wife got substantially better paying jobs in late 2012. Phat refund in 2013. I said hey you should check your deductions... Come this spring, he paid a CPA cuz he was convinced TurboTax was wrong about him owing a grand. I showed him the math and he just kept repeating "but I got a refund last year and made the same.." Except income went from like 40-50k to 110k... Lol :facepalm

So yeah, OP, check out the IRS calculator.

• Locked thread