Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Post or pretax ROTH? I think paying down the 16% interest is going to be better than any Return on investment you are going to make. Some opportunity costs and I would only think to look at it for penalty free money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I didn't even realize the cash, why the hell do you have so much cash? Sephiroth_IRA is right dump like 10k + what you can easily take out of your ROTH into the AMEX. Cut spending by $300 a month, maybe a little more. You make a lot of money no reason to have to really sacrifice on righting the ship. Then you are pretty much on smooth sailing to put all this behind you fairly quickly. At which point you should put money back into your ROTH.

Foma fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 9, 2014

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Veskit posted:

Can you guys explain to me why it's a good idea to gently caress with your Roth IRAs to pay down this debt? Isn't that stealing from your future self and setting up a horrific precedent? These seem like great ideas if you're good with money, but however long term doesn't it not solve the problem at heart?

Pulling tons of cash out of the Roth IRA feels like getting gastric bypass surgery without having tried dieting. Yeah it may take longer, but learning to diet and exercise will be better for your well being even though the numbers aren't as good. HOWEVER, gently caress your cash fund you have way too much cold cash to carry that much debt.

Because your average stock market return is 7% and hand is paying 16% on AMEX. He can make a 9% better return on his cash paying down his AMEX then he would keeping it in his ROTH IRA. Being good with money is about efficiency. Also dude has saved up $12k for some unthinkable reason, he isn't doesn't seem like your typical BFC screwup case.

• Locked thread