Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

French Canadian posted:

Japanese urinals appear to pre-flush upon approaching them. Like they're really excited to see you or something.

Same in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I heard about this site on @midnight. It's like AirBnB except with bathrooms.

https://airpnp.co/

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
One of the most interesting I saw was a toilet where you basically poo poo on a shelf, then it's washed away. I saw it in Hungary but apparently they're common in Germany too. - It wasn't technically a public toilet, it was at a restaurant

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

itsjustdrew posted:

One of the most interesting I saw was a toilet where you basically poo poo on a shelf, then it's washed away. I saw it in Hungary but apparently they're common in Germany too. - It wasn't technically a public toilet, it was at a restaurant

You're actually supposed to sit backwards on those ones, with your arms resting on the "tank" :eng101:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Hahaha, did people really tell you that?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Ah, the fabled 'AC Slater' technique.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You're actually supposed to sit backwards on those ones, with your arms resting on the "tank" :eng101:

Would be ideal if the tank wasn't above my head even when standing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The automatic toilets I encountered during a trip in the US all made weird noises like a baby crying. Ours up in Canada didn't make that squealing sound. Caught me off guard everytime.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I'm starting to see more and more dual flow toilets in the US, in public restrooms no less.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
The ones in London are actually not that terrible. Most of them you have to pay like 30p to get in and I guess they use that money to make them not poo poo holes.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

loki k zen posted:

The ones in London are actually not that terrible. Most of them you have to pay like 30p to get in and I guess they use that money to make them not poo poo holes.

If they're anything like the ones in manchester, don't bother paying, pull the turnstile back to you a little bit, you can squeeze through easily enough, or just jump over.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
They have people in boxes by the entrances who watch you.

Yeah, I dunno either.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

loki k zen posted:

They have people in boxes by the entrances who watch you.

Yeah, I dunno either.

So what you do, you take a poo poo on the floor, when taken to court, you say you didnt have 30p to pay for the loo. you should get away with a few hours of community service, probably picking up poo poo. But on the bright side you'll have many laughs while people try to stop you making GBS threads whilst arresting you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pay toilets are man's greatest sin.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

freebooter posted:

I would just take my pants off. And boy does that feel dignified.

:feelsgood:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cent0r posted:

My public toilet secrets: Starbucks for shits, McDonalds for piss.

Why? Because Starbucks are generally cleaner so you don't have to worry about wiping piss off the seat.

Hotels, always hotels. Open 24/7 and the bathrooms tend to be sparkling.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hotels, always hotels. Open 24/7 and the bathrooms tend to be sparkling.

Could you get away with that for free?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

itsjustdrew posted:

Could you get away with that for free?

Why would a hotel make you pay :psyduck:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Well they could just tell you to gently caress off, since you're not a guest, but I haven't experienced that yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

Well they could just tell you to gently caress off, since you're not a guest, but I haven't experienced that yet.

I imagine being a white adult male probably was a major factor in me always getting away with it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's been my experience that front desk people just really don't care. Back when my wife and I would do the camp out all night for Best Buy Black Friday thing (more for fun than profit), hotels were the best places to use the restroom. Just walk on by the front desk, say hi, then do your thing.

Adding "Toilet defender" to the front desk clerks' job description would be more trouble than it was worth for management.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Be afraid.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Japanese toilets are the bomb. Wriggling around trying to get the bum gun to fire straight into your rear end in a top hat is kinda funny.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Throwing toilet paper in a bin is horrible and I always refuse to do it. Causing somewhat clogged pipes is still better than putting poo poo paper in a bin out in the open. I'd rather poo poo out side and use a leaf, even.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Well if everybody had that cool attitude, that is exactly what you would have to do! Think of the poor sod who will have to potentially unclog your poo poo, man!

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

elbkaida posted:

Well if everybody had that cool attitude, that is exactly what you would have to do! Think of the poor sod who will have to potentially unclog your poo poo, man!

A job is a job.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Scald posted:

A job is a job.

It's like a soldier getting their leg blown off by a landmine in Afghanistan. It probably won't happen but there's a chance that it will happen. You signed on for it.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Lost it, that's amazing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Once I saw a toilet with poo poo piled higher than the seat. Like gutter punks just kept adding to it.

Japanese public schools tend to have squatters for "cultural training."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I prefer the totally flat 3rd world squatters. Japanese squatters have this loving rim that just makes water and piss pool on the floor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

peanut posted:

Once I saw a toilet with poo poo piled higher than the seat. Like gutter punks just kept adding to it.

Japanese public schools tend to have squatters for "cultural training."

In the village where my granddad lived in China, they just piled the poo in the corner with a shovel until some poor sap comes to clean it up. I was like 4 at the time so it looked monstrously big but it probably wasn't as big as I remembered. Oh and the smell. The horror! the horror!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:eyepop: medieval poo poo

Unfortunately the holy poo poo altar I saw was in a public park in California.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

peanut posted:

:eyepop: medieval poo poo

Unfortunately the holy poo poo altar I saw was in a public park in California.

This was in a rural part of Guangdong, China. The place is falling apart now since nearly all the youth are opting to leave for the cities.

You've got to question the mentality of the people who kept making GBS threads into a toilet that's collecting poo several inches high.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

To be fair a lot of those signs are posted by old folks who just assume the pipes can't handle it. I don't know how many times I've seen bins full of poo poo paper and a toilet that sounds like a 747 taking off.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

To be fair a lot of those signs are posted by old folks who just assume the pipes can't handle it. I don't know how many times I've seen bins full of poo poo paper and a toilet that sounds like a 747 taking off.

Which is why it's my policy to do a test flush before evacuation.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
so there's this slavoj zizek video about ideology and toilets which is pretty funny if you're into that sorta thing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwTJXHNP0bg

by far the worst public bathrooms I've visited were in China, no doors on the squatter stalls might seem very communal and even slightly old school Roman, but it really put me off my game.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
edit: nevermind.

cent0r fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
One thing I'm feeling kinda anxious about is the probability of needing to poo poo while traveling from the U.S. to Thailand via airplanes. Does anyone have any tips or strategies for making GBS threads while engaged in long airplane journeys that they'd like to share?

My trip will have 2 stops/layovers (3 flights). The first layover (in an American city) will be 3 hours and 45 minutes long, and the second layover (in an Asian city) will be 2 hours and 30 minutes long. I assume that making GBS threads in an airport would generally be preferable over making GBS threads on an airplane, but I would hate to miss a flight as a result of having lost track of time while wiping my rear end in an airport restroom.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is this your first cross-ocean flight? Your layovers are plenty long. You'll find toilets everywhere near departure/arrival gates. Airplane toilets are fine unless you're too fat to fit in.
The Thai toilets outside of your hotel room, however, will probably be squatters with a faucet and a bucket for manual flushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Drop a deuce on the plane once everyone's asleep. Flights to Asia from America are like 12-17 hours, you're just taking your revenge on the rear end in a top hat parents who won't discipline their kids.

• Locked thread