Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The public toilets where I live are usually littered with cooked aluminum foil, bloody toilet paper/paper towels, spent syringes, and the remnants of point baggies. I always show tourists when they visit, but don't think I have any photos. ~*~*Heroin*~*. The bathrooms surrounded by junkies with shaggy dogs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

A squatter is actually better and more ergonomic than a western-style toilet

I often see people say this, but only from people who went on a church trip to Haiti/~*Africa*~ once and were so enlightened by how the natives do it and they must be right because they're closer to nature. Also it's only men who say this because women realize how awful squatters are for peeing. Unless you spend hours a day on the shitter I can't imagine ergonomics really matter.

Anyway, they're also way easier to clean, so since people, usually men, are disgusting animals, many public toilets here in Switzerland are squatters. Much easier to clean up with a hose when someone shits everywhere, which is basically all the time.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

This... This is not how I picture the Swiss.

Don't worry, I'm sure it's because of those filthy immigrants.

And by filthy immigrants I mean drunk teenagers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

elbkaida posted:

No way, really? Is that the French/Italian influence? Wow.

Oh, I only really know about the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Maybe the Swiss Germans are cleaner drunks.

VVV: There are squatter toilets everywhere, in that case. It's probably 20/80 or 30/70 in favor of toilets, but still quite common to see the squatters.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 13, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

The line in Forrest Gump is "Life is like a box of chocolates..."

It should be "Life is like an Asian bathroom..."

Unlike chocolates, where you always get something inside chocolate, Asian bathrooms really are that unpredictable.

Ever since reading this comic I feel like I now understand the Asian toilet features.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Visit beautiful Grasse, southern France, home of perfume. Make use of the public restrooms, open from 8am until 6pm every day. Try not to get tetanus.

Seriously Grasse was one of the filthiest and worst looking cities I've ever been in, I thought I'd stepped through a wormhole to Aleppo.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you stay and poo poo yourself? Or do you work on another area of cultural assimilation and decide instead to develop sphincter endurance and tone against what feels like a water balloon being repeatedly shoved through your guts against your rear end in a top hat?

I think this is the second time I've ever rated a thread. 5555555 would rate again.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tomato Soup posted:

I paid to use this in rural Bolivia I was desperate I had no idea what lurked within

To "flush" you threw sawdust down the "KAKA" hole

:negative:

That actually looks pretty clean and OK, though why they bother having a "pipi" hole I can't imagine. It looks like peeing in that will just cause splash and make a mess everywhere, while not having it at all would be cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

What you guys are looking at/describing is actually an ingenious toilet: a composting latrine. Some Peace Corps volunteer or NGO is probably responsible for that Bolivian one. Peace Corps Volunteers were making them in the Dominican Republic while I was there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composting_toilet

The pee and poop are separated because they are then later used as organic fertilizers :)

That makes more sense. I kind of had the impression that the pee was just going directly into the same spot as the poo poo. But seriously whoever designed that seat has no concern for splashback; what an awful design. I guess it didn't go through CAD simulations and wasn't milled out of metamaterials in a high-tech Taiwanese factory.

E: Hey, wait... literally none of the compositing toilets in the page you link have a separation for pee and poop.

• Locked thread