Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ChaosArgate posted:

It just doesn't feel fun at all. From what I remember, it felt like distilled :effort:. To quote BlitzBlast from his LP:

You are aware that Battle Network and Star Force are not the same thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Charizard is in to make the Ridley supporters super salty.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

GameXplain put out another new video, this one picking apart the Direct and pointing out some things that most people might have missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzSeICAwZA

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

fivegears4reverse posted:

Yeah, but after replaying the Palutena battle on Intensity 9.0 in KI:U, I think that she could be a remarkably vicious combatant at any range if she cuts loose. She doesn't HAVE to be another "graceful, gentle" princess-type of fighter.

It's worth mentioning for the folks who haven't played or seen KI:U that "graceful, gentle" really isn't Palutena's personality in that game at all. Sure, she's concerned about her goddess duties, but she has quite a mischievous and playful streak that does a lot to lend the game its enjoyable atmosphere.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

It'd be cool at first but after the 500th match it'd get old.

Make it toggleable in menu like literally everything else in the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Gutcruncher posted:

I think I remember ROB being a secret until the Japanese launch. I know I was mighty surprised to see him show up online

He was leaked but the majority of people completely ignored the leak because it was like, ROB and Wolf.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Maybe Mewtwo will be a boss character like his bff Ridley.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Pyroi posted:

Who cares about Mallow? Geno is the only one people care about.

I care about Mallow.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

TARDISman posted:

SUPER ROBOT WARS
...oh wait.

The messed up thing about Super Robot Wars is they localized the games that didn't have robots from animes as Super Robot Taisen. It's just like, why do that?

Anyway, going back to Smash talk, I've recently been playing Kid Icarus: Uprising again, and now I want Palutena playable in this more than ever. She's just such a fun and funny character.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

'Robot Wars' was trademarked I think.

I suppose that makes sense, also sucks.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is that the instakill enemy from Kid Icarus Uprising? I can't quite place it.

Yes, that is indeed an Orne.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

TechnoSyndrome posted:

It hasn't been posted on the Miiverse yet so no commentary, but the image alone is enough to break my heart. :(

The dream is dead.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mario's Luigi Mario is exposed and upright and we all know Miyamoto is completely uncomfortable with that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't seen this, anyone have a link to when they announced it?

The Master Ball was in the huge Smash Bros Direct on April 8th or whenever that was.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If I had to guess, the figurines' uses in Smash will likely be limited to things like storing and transporting your customized movesets for characters, saving your stats and records for use across multiple consoles, and potentially custom stages if that ends up being a thing again. I don't see any way Nintendo hides any of the roster or even any potential DLC characters behind a figurine paywall (as opposed to a digital paywall).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I have to admit, that surprises me quite a bit. I was sure Chrom was gonna take his place.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm with the people who don't believe that image based on the inelegance of it. Brawl already had four rows of characters, so I don't see why Nintendo would limit Smash 4 to three rows of characters with each row being close to 20 wide.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Apparently one of the slots in the 16 man invitational tournament at E3 will go to whoever makes the most convincing Instagram video within the next day or so (US/Canada only): http://e3.nintendo.com/invitational/rules.html

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I wonder exactly how the draft is going to work for the characters. They showed 20 characters available to the 16 players, and the trailer made it sound like a player would be locked into one character the whole time. It'd probably be most fair to have players pick characters at random out of a hat or something, because if they did something like picking players out of a hat and letting the first player choose from everyone, that could be super unbalanced.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Pixeltendo posted:

Basically whats going to happen is each player draws a number out of a hat for ordering, whoever gets first pic gets to choose who they want to play.

I really don't think I like that approach, but I guess it's just an Invitational and not any kind of super serious tournament so it's whatever. I do think it will suck if the 4 unchosen characters end up being all new arrivals due to people not wanting to take a risk on unfamiliarity, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Gutcruncher posted:

What Capcoms been doing with Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournaments is offering bonus money to players using a new character. Nintendo should steal that

If by Capcom you mean the organizers of UFGT. I'm fairly certain none of that money came from the company at all. Capcom is however putting up a ton of money for their Pro Tour, but that's still on AE 2012 since Ultra isn't officially out here yet.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Give Charizard a Ridley color and call it a day.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I got the reveal I wanted. Hooray for Palutena!

Also the Mii Fighter concept was unexpectedly more interesting than I thought, what with the three different archetypes and large number of selectable special moves.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Minority Deport posted:

Is there something showing the Mii stuff? I tuned in too late to the Direct to see it, and the Smash Bros youtube channel only uploaded the Palutena video.

It was first thing in the Direct so as soon as that's up on the Youtube check there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's understandable that anyone who has not played or seen anything about Kid Icarus Uprising wouldn't get why Palutena is an excellent character, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm super pleased with the choice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

PantsBandit posted:

I did but I had it stolen while on a flight last weekend so I'll just have to take your word for it :(

If you're not averse to LPs, there's a pretty good one that was done here for Kid Icarus Uprising: http://lparchive.org/Kid-Icarus-Uprising/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

TaurusOxford posted:

It's basically Skylanders except with Nintendo figures, which will have compatibility with Smash and MK8.

Reggie also mentioned them being compatible in some way with the Captain Toad game, Yoshi's Wooly World, one other game I can't remember, and more in his interview with IGN dudes afterward.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Funkmaster General posted:

Is Zelda Williams famous on her own merits now and I missed it, or are they just banking on her name?

She's famous because of her dad, mostly, at least as far as I know.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DoctorWhat posted:

Man Mega Man looks like hot garbage :negative:

A brand new character against one of the most seasoned professionals using an old powerhouse is no way to judge a character's potential.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Pac-Man owns.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Smash for WiiU coming back on the Treehouse Stream next: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ometeotl posted:

I think that's the Space Pirate ship from Kid Icarus.

Yeah, that's what it is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If Chrom does make it in, I hope they go a little crazy and incorporate the fact that he can change classes in Awakening into his moveset. If he had, say, a neutral B that is a bow attack similar to Link's and a side B where he gets on a horse and charges through dudes, that would go a decent way toward differentiating himself from Ike and Marth moveset-wise.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Given what we now know about the customizable movesets, I tried to guess which of the 12 special moves Palutena lists in her trailer would be assigned to which buttons, based on their animation and apparent function:

Neutral B: Heavenly Light, Auto-Reticle, Celestial Fireworks
Up B: Warp, Rocket Jump, Jump Glide
Side B: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Angelic Missile
Down B: Reflect, Counter, Lightweight

Also, the 13th and 14th moves are pretty clearly her Final Smash, Black Hole + Mega Laser, combining the vortex-like startup of Mega Man's FS with Samus's huge fuckoff beam.

Of these, I'd say I'm pretty confident in all the Up+B guesses. The ones I'm least confident in are Heavenly Light, Super Speed, and Lightweight. The thing I won't even try to guess at this point is which 4 moves would be considered "default" for Palutena.

Edit: Here's a link to her trailer on Youtube so that anyone else who wants to guess can look it over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTW13AYniY

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 12, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

F. Lobot posted:

They confirmed that the statue stores an AI that that levels up and adapts as you fight it. So you can bring it to a friends house and make them fight your invincible CPU.

It's a useless feature bound to a useless accessory, what more could you want?

I hope they also let you store and transport your customized movesets from console to console. That would be significantly more useful.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

Couldn't you just customize your moveset at your friend's place? There's only 3 options for each move, it'd take like 10 seconds to go into a menu and set it how you like it.

That's true, but it'd be a nice time saver. It would also be more convenient for if/when people decide to have gimmick tournaments using custom movesets.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They wouldn't just put a random character from a series into the game and not have it repped by a playable character. It would make no sense at all.

Aren't there, like, Dig Dug enemies in Smash Run? I don't think anyone's expecting Dig Dug to pump up the beatdowns in Smash though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't know if this was linked here yet since it was linked somewhere in that Reddit AMA, but that CT Zero guy did a big writeup about his whole experience leading up to and through E3, and also his thoughts on the game at this point: http://smashboards.com/threads/once-in-a-lifetime-the-smash-invitational-from-ct-zeros-perspective.358100/

Edit: Also, my guess for his hype announcement is shifting For Glory mode from Final Destination to Battlefield, especially since the Grand Finals of the Invitational were listed to be on FD but switched to Battlefield.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

They confirmed early on (I think E3 2013) that there would not be cross-play, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some dudes from Clash Tournaments apparently got some alone time with WiiU Smash, and they've uploaded a playlist of ten 1v1 matches to Youtube with a decent variety of characters: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlIHVxA7UoL1b9OwOj4Ci13oWKu8KFb9N

• Locked thread