Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Elec Man was shown in the montage of assist trophies during the direct. Looks pretty cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Just noticed this in the Greninja trailer:

Anyone have an idea at what stage this is supposed to be?

X/Y Elite Four arena. Seems to cycle through the four different chambers if the other screenshots are anything to go by.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Chieves posted:

Good Lord, for anybody who never had a chance to play City Trial mode in Kirby Air Ride, you really have no idea how exciting the 3DS version sounds know. I wasted so many hours on that darn mode! :allears:

Yeah, I still pull Air Ride out from time to time to play City Mode with some friends, and putting something like that into a far better, more robust game like Smash Bros is going to be amazing.

The WiiU version can't do the mode properly (everyone needs their own screen) but I hope it has something that's just as fun to fill that gap. Otherwise the 3DS version is going to be the only one people play.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

gently caress am I even going to buy this game? Jesus christ.

Orrrrr in online with friends. We'll probably have a pretty big goon friend community to choose from (and I hope this game borrows Communities from Mario Kart 7)

I'm sure it's mostly just a balance measure, since they have much less control over the customized movesets and people will want to build weird gimmick characters. Honestly it's a lot like Stickers were in Brawl, only used in one mode but they let you do some really interesting things.

And it's also something we don't have any details about yet.

I have a feeling we'll see another Smash Bros Direct in 2 or 3 months, near the 3DS version's release, and it will go in-depth about moveset customization and the inter-platform connectivity stuff. Those are the two big mysteries right now, other than the roster.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Suspicious Cook posted:

But what about the stage editor? :ohdear:

I think if we were getting a stage editor, they would have mentioned it on that stream. Still a chance, but I doubt it this time around.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

IronicDongz posted:

Did anyone in the history of Smash ever actually make good use of switching between Zelda and Sheik? It's such a lovely swap, even pokemon trainer's could leave you dangerously open but Zelda's takes sooooo looooooong.

Also they finally replaced Sheik's lovely ->B, holy balls!

I'm sure there were some people that switched strategically or something, but in all of my matches from Melee through Brawl, people either played Zelda or played Shiek, and never really swapped mid-match at all.

Pokemon Trainer would have been the same way if they didn't force you to switch due to stamina/respawning. I'd have just played Squirtle all day long. (who i assume is not returning now :( )

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone is like an inch tall because they're all roughly Olimar's size.

Kirby is 8 inches tall, thank you. If we can't rigidly stick to Kirby canon then I don't know what height sources we can trust anymore.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

A Tetris stage could be neat. You could only KO from the top, and you'd have to avoid falling blocks.

You know, I say that, but even though it's an interesting concept I'd probably play it once and never again.

I think just about everyone made this level (minus falling blocks) in Brawl's stage editor.

It's terrible.

The better Tetris-themed level me and my friends ended up with was 'Tetrimino Sky', a bunch of giant Tetris pieces just floating around in the air. Way more fun and still a good use for the tetris music they had in the game. If Smash Bros was going to have a tetris level, it'd have to be something like that. Maybe scrolling very slowly.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Found this on youtube and it probably sums up the tourney scene's views on the new stages pretty well. (Livestream reaction stuff, nothing official)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz96eSYdFvc

Silver Sound posted:

The only trophy shown without a fighting rep. that had a unique symbol. Possible hint at a Nintendogs or Nintencats fighter? Because that would be hilarious.

Stages have icons too, there's a Nintendogs stage on 3DS.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So there's a Tomodachi Collection level in the 3DS version of the game, something I assumed would just be a weird thing US and EU audiences would get to mess with but wouldn't know anything about(like Marth and Roy in Melee), except apparently Tomodachi Collection is being localized, as Tomodachi Life.

And the Nintendo Direct they just released for it is really weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmx4kC0tiU

I wonder if the inclusion of it as a Smash Bros stage influenced the decision to localize it, or vice-versa?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game had a bunch of actual 'worked on smash bros' staff people working on it, didn't it? And it was still garbage somehow.

Sakurai has that magic touch.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

GenericMartini posted:

I'm certain that the reason why Goroh, The Franklin Badge, and The Polar Bear from Ice Climbers specifically weren't shown off because Falcon, Ness, and The Ice Climbers are unlockable.

The only thing I really question is the whole gimmick behind the newcomers it that they get their own special vids, if they're unlockable how do they get away without unveiling them and putting the videos on youtube like they said?(this is a dumb nitpick and the answer is obvious but whatever)

They'll reveal them online post-launch with youtube trailers or something, I'm sure.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They need to add Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball somehow, maybe he can be the new sandbag or something.

Use him to sell you Trophy blind-boxes instead of the slot machine or shooter minigame. You can haggle the price down and everything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's probably reasonably good odds that some unlockables on both platforms will be linked to the interconnectivity stuff (maybe not characters, but stages or trophies at least) and I imagine the 3DS version will get blown open and some of those surprises spoiled before the WiiU version ever releases.

But honestly it'll probably just drive hype for the games connecting to one another up even further.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sakurai/Nintendo did a pretty good job keeping most of Kid Icarus Uprising under wraps.

They kept the second half of Super Mario 3D Land secret until launch too, I think. They can manage it when they really really want to. But neither of those games was as highly anticipated as a new Smash Bros.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

HellCopter posted:

We've gone through Polygons, Wireframes and Alloys. What structure represents this generation? Excessive particle effects?

They'll probably do something weird and go with Pixels or something like that. Big blocky dudes made of cubes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How come Shiek seems to have completely broken models in half of her screenshots?
Seriously what's wrong (last one is toon link but still)

That's how animation works, you break bones a lot when characters have quick, snappy movements. It flows really well in motion but looks strange in stills. Just poor frames to choose for screenshots.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's probably less that there's exclusives, and more that the WiiU version will just have more complex ones. The 3DS has to have more low-impact visuals and less things on screen at once, but the WiiU version can have more complex effects and things like big swarms of higher poly characters or enemies.

So there'll probably be some exclusive stuff to WiiU but I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS is just missing some assists or pokemon.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rorus Raz posted:

Why wouldn't Doc just be a Mac clone? It's not like they have to have identical body types.

He could be done as a slower, heavier Mac. That could be fun, it would really push Mac's "don't be in the air, ever" gimmick to an extreme. He does have some of his own stuff to pull from, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUIv5keMRQ&t=550s

Gotta have a chocolate eating move.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 22, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nasgate posted:

:golfclap:
I bet you guys didn't notice this post, so I brought it to the next page.

I feel like people who didn't see the box art don't realize how thoroughly dedicated Nintendo is to this joke already.

And his face is covered in all their other promo art too. The cartridge art, other regions, wallpapers from the official websites, Facebook banners, everything. The characters all change positions and orientations, but no matter the arrangement of the art, someone's always covering Kellam's face.

He'd be playable, but you can only get him by choosing random, and the game wouldn't have a player indicator over your head or a spot for you on the UI.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DrPaper posted:

So now that Nintendo is doing the Season Pass shenanigans, do you expect a Season Pass for Smash? I know Sakurai has said he doesn't want to worry about DLC during development, but there's no telling if Nintendo will make him/do it on their own after the fact. If there was, what would you want to see in a Smash season pass?

I think for the sake of Sakurai Sanity, let's assume new characters are out of the running. Too complicated.

I'd like to see the season pass include three packs(like Mario Golf is doing). Each should have 1 new stage, 1 retro stage, and a few character skins. They don't have to be elaborate things, just stuff like Hawaiian Shirt Mario or Classic Fox McCloud, things that can use the existing animation rigs and don't need new voice acting.

I think 6 stages (3 of which are already made, basically) and a few costumes would be pretty reasonable for DLC. Idealy there'd be a new outfit for every character, spread across the three packs, but there's some characters that that's hard to do and could be skipped I guess.

Anything more than that would be way beyond what I've seen from Japanese games in terms of DLC, and Nintendo in particular. If there's going to be any DLC, it'll be announced shortly before or after launch, and once it's done we won't see any more.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Classtoise posted:

Someone higher up made mention of an idea that I think works, and that's "free" DLC characters that are basically a few Wii U version characters that are unreleased at launch, to keep SOME surprises.

Yeah, if the roster is basically finished before the 3DS version launches, they could theoretically spend the time between 3DS and WiiU launches making new characters, stages, music, etc. I don't know how long it takes for them to produce any of those things, but 'have the people who produce assets make new things while they would otherwise be doing nothing' is usually the reason why we get DLC in many games in the first place.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The T posted:

And there's also this fansite that organizes it well. Their Twitter spams a bunch of really stupid "Make your own desktop wallpaper!" thing though that's on the site and it's dumb.

is it dumb? or is it art

its dumb

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Endorph posted:

Buy a Dr. Mario figurine, get Dr. Mario as a racer in Mario Kart and a fighter in Smash? Buy a Ghirahim figurine, get him as a character in Hyrule Warriors and a fighter in Smash?

Spitballing here.

I think playable characters are a little more substantial than we'll be seeing them do. More like buy a Pikachu figure, get a Pikachu statue in Smash Bros, get Pokeball wheels in Mario Kart, get a Pikachu Face texture for clothes and furniture in Animal Crossing, get a Pokemon Yellow racket in Mario Tennis, etc.

But there's really nothing to go on right now. The big thing would be tying their line of figures to as many games as possible without making it obnoxious for players to deal with.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Have people checked who owns the domain and all the other usual stuff to verify this is an actual Nintendo thing and not just a hoax countdown? Because countdowns are the easiest things to fake and get everyone to fall for on the internet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

According to a couple of different domain lookup sites, the registrar of onefinalsmash.com's e-mail is scorpion203@hotmail.com, which doesn't sound like an official Nintendo e-mail address. It also says it was registered to a Tokyo address, but Nintendo is in Kyoto, so that doesn't really check out either.

No, the email is a clue. Clearly Scorpion from Mortal Kombat is being added to the game. But he's going to cost $203 and be Nintendo's first premium DLC.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I like that there's a character slot between Samus and Ridley, implying that there's another Metroid character also yet to be revealed.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nahxela posted:

So you're saying that Kraid is confirmed

Given Nintendo's love of baby characters lately, clearly that slot is going to Baby Ridley

A fearsome new fighter

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Funkmaster General posted:

So apparently we're getting gamecube controllers for the Wii U in time for Smash.

Yeah, they've shown what it looks like too. It's not a Gamecube controller, it's a "Wii U Wired Fight Pad".

No c-stick, no d-pad. It'd be okay for stuff like Street Fighter, but not really a replacement for the GC controller for Smash Bros.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's an old controller they've been selling for ages, not the new one they recently announced. They have a version of that design for multiple consoles, and the Wii one has been around a while already.

Oh okay, my mistake. I saw an article claim that this was the one they announced. I hope the real one is basically a Wavebird for the WiiU.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hitting up the Best Buy event today, hoping to try out Megaman and see why he had so much trouble in the tourney (guessing he needs to be played more as a ranged harassment type), anyone else going? I'm expecting a super long line even when we get there ahead of time.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

axeil posted:

Wait is Shulk definitely in? I haven't heard anything about that, but it makes sense to include someone from Xenoblade.

Shulk is included in the roster leak that called Mii Fighter (by that exact name), Wii Fit Trainer, Pacman, and Greninja(but only as the non-specific 'pokemon from X/Y'), and Palutena. Which is a lot of accurate calling of really weird choices.

That leak, if legit, also says Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Men(from Rhythm Heaven) are going to be playable. And that Lucas got cut from the roster and there will be paid DLC characters post-launch.

Harlock posted:

I would honestly be disappointed if there wasn't DLC characters. I know that sounds silly in our DLC world, but it could potentially give characters that didn't make the original development cycle for whatever reason.

Yeah, if we go by the unfinished characters in the code on Brawl's disc, theoretically we would have gotten Dixie Kong, Plusle&Minun, Doctor Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy as DLC for Smash Bros Brawl... if it was a thing they were doing at the time. Which it wasn't, since that was when Nintendo barely had online functions in things at all.

So there'll probably be some fan favorites and some interesting 'almost-got-in' characters as DLC if they do it this time around.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 11, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

dataisplural posted:

you don't think some dude could come up with the phrase "Mii Fighter" on his own?

It's not any individual thing, it's that they've been right about all these things, most notably the Wii Fit Trainer. Stuff like having the name for Mii Fighter correct before it was revealed just strengthens the possibility they're right.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh right, this is still a thing.

http://www.onefinalsmash.com/

It's most definitely going to be nothing, but it's counting down to zero in about half an hour, so in case you have some sort of morbid curiosity as to what a hotmail ninja can do, might as well keep an eye on it.

It goes off of your own local computer time. Mine's not hitting zero for an hour and a half.

There won't be anything there either way.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Funkmaster General posted:

Holy poo poo, they're setting up an N64

I think we're at the same one. I'm the fat guy in a flux capacitor shirt.

Unless there's N64s and a guy in a power ranger shirt at every one of these.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Played Mega Man in Smash Run and boy is he weird. It's like two B buttons instead of a B and an A, but once I figured him out he seemed pretty cool.

Smash Run itself is a lot of fun too, reminds me of the Zelda level in Adventure mode from Melee but way way bigger a play area. And of course City Trial from Kirby Air Ride.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just a quick note from checking out the Best Buy demo, Sonic had an alternate costume that wasn't blue (it looked like Silver) so hopefully he has some more distinct alts this time around.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

thanks alot assbag posted:

Have there been any impressions at all of Wii Fit Trainer? That's the character I'm most curious to hear about.

Played as her in one of my matches. She seemed like a pretty standard Smash character, no real crazy gimmicks or anything. Fun moves, solid damage, fits in really well but doesn't feel very distinct outside of her concept. I think she's cool, but no idea if she's amazing or anything since it was just one match. I won at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh here's two matches I recorded at Best Buy. It was the people in front of me playing just before I got to(I can't play and record at the same time, duh), and more footage is always good right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX6pz7KdFPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqaMZ6rW-I

• Locked thread