Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's sort of disheartening that they made such a big deal out of male and female Wii Fit Trainers but there was no hint at that sort of model choice for the Villager, who something like that would be a much bigger deal for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

gently caress am I even going to buy this game? Jesus christ.

If this is your Smash Bros dealbreaker then maybe Smash Bros was never the game for you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

In retrospect it is kind of sad Dedede can't throw Waddle Dees anymore. By far one of the most useless/entertaining moves in the series, besides Luigi's 1 damage kick.

e: birdo is a generic enemy like dry bones or whatever. in mario 2 there were like ten of them.

Umm actually Birdo was one single creature struggling with identity issues and these four bullies kept following her from home to home, breaking and entering her collection of giant bird heads every time she thought she was finally out of their reach.

e: "Trap" is a 4chanism you should be embarrassed if you use this term.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm very concerned that the Ice Climbers will be cut due to the 3DS's limitations. Handling as many as eight equally-complex 60fps fighters at once could not be possible.

Rosalina basically functions just like the Ice Climbers already so whether that's a case for or against them is up in the air.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Samus has weirdly-shaped breasts and I don't know how that passed Nintendo's QA.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If there was a grass starter Pokemon to round out the trio it has to be that smug snake.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Judging by the screenshots on the website Samus actually looks a lot less weird in the 3DS version so I guess those lower polycounts are a boon after all.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Boots have heels on them and that's what armies wear. Check and mate :smug:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

New? It's the same design from 10 years ago:

If you're not trolling you're missing a lot of really obvious points regarding the current model.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

What are some stages you would want in the game?

That one Bubble Bobble room where you just freefall with no platforms

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Stinks, but yes.

They had scratch & sniff ads in Nintendo Power too, that was what they meant by stink.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Thwack! posted:

While I wholeheartedly agree on how awful Playstation All Stars is, hearing about Megabyte Punch being bad is new to me. Especially considering that I was mildly interested in it pre release. Any reason why it's terrible?

This was from a page back but Megabyte Punch is an okay game as a sort of Smash Adventure Mode but it only does local multiplayer. The devs are newish and they're not comfortable with netcode, apparently, so they just didn't add network vs. play.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DrPaper posted:

And nope, Parasol didn't return.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Parasol

Also forgot Red Shell didn't return either.

My favorite Smash thing is that all the food is 2D photos of food. I saw those in screenshots and thought, "Oh I'm glad the food is still photos".

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zuzie posted:

It would be kind of neat if characters from KI:U gave commentary in much the same way that Metal Gear characters did during Snake's Codec calls in Brawl.

I'm hoping that Doc Louis live-comments Little Mac's moves like he does in the intro video, that's my one big hope for this game.

"Tear that armor up, Mac! Give 'em the goods!!!"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

It'd be cool at first but after the 500th match it'd get old.

This is incorrect, sorry.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

We unlocked characters three times already, this is the fourth Smash game. Just let us play with the guys we like.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you have 24 hours to play video games?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sonic was the best unveil for Brawl because rumors were so thick Sonic and Tails were hidden somewhere on Melee that people assumed it'd be the same joke again and they'd never do it, but then they did. I think there was even two empty spaces on the complete Melee character select screen people assumed were for Sonic and Tails that sort of lent credibility to the rumors, but it was so long ago I can't honestly say I remember.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

You do realize that kids who weren't even born when Brawl came out will be playing this game, right?

The ones who were born in 1999 when the first one debuted are probably sophomores in high school now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I would like "use your 3DS as a Wii U controller" please. Bring back the old GBA/GC cable technology except wireless.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think for that to work, the Wii U stages would have to be programmed into the 3DS version. The 3DS can't do the Gamepad-style video streaming, so it would have to be running the game and that means all the same content would have to be there.

Unless you just mean using it as a controller without showing the fight on the 3DS screen, that seems possible.

Yeah I mean just having it as a controller with your player data on it. I don't know what the Wii U plans to do with the giant screen in its controller but whatever data is there I'd imagine could be relayed to a 3DS touchscreen. Even if its just menu interface or character select stuff I feel that with this sort of handheld/console split where the console only has one native controller per unit it's really beneficial to be able to use a handheld as a controller, especially when the handheld version releases half a year earlier.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Slappers only, License to Kill.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do you think they'll still have that minigame where you have five seconds to beat up the sandbag and then homerun-bat it as far as possible? That was genuinely tricky and I remember trying real hard to figure out the right character for the soften-up part.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

Just pick Yoshi, mash that d-air congrats you win

I didn't like Yoshi I thought he was stupid.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just don't know what fighting moves you give to a character that usually does not have arms or legs in the majority of his resume.

Mr Driller, however, he's got arms and legs, he's got his drill, he's got his oxygen tank. Maybe he can wail on people with the oxygen tank.

Someone's never played Pac Man 2: The New Adventures. He already has a Final Smash baked into his character.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Mario is a blank slate who jumps on things and yowls in bizarre pseudo-English. I think NES Megaman actually has more personality than him.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pacman just seems like a better assist trophy to me, where a giant Pacman chomps around the screen and sends people flying.

Make the bear from tekken a fighter.

There's really only one Tekken fighter fit for Smash

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't know how people can find the non-sprite Pac-Man design so alien unless they've never been to a Namco arcade where his face was literally printed on all the tickets and tokens and half the posters. Non-sprite Pac-Man has always been a smiling ball with a nose, gloves and shoes, there's nothing "new" about his design except for maybe what color his gloves and shoes are.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Why isn't Waluigi playable.

Because he's a loser.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I have no idea who 'Shulk' is or why anyone feels he or she is a shoe-in.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

Unless you've been ignoring like half the replies in this very thread.

He's the main character of Xenoblade, which is a sort-of new IP for Nintendo. A rare thing these days.

I kept seeing these replies which is why I asked, but I kept thinking of Xenogears or Xenosaga or whatever and I didn't remember any Shulks. It doesn't seem like that much of a shoe-in to me, it seems kind of obscure.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Ah, so, basically a japanese person looked up "sword" in a thesaurus and picked something that sounded cool.

That pisses me off more than it should.

We named a game about a big sword "daikatana"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anyone know if the background is from anything specific or is it most likely apart of the Smash Expanded Universe? I know a lot of people were turned off by the overindulgence of the stuff in Brawl thanks to Subspace but even with Melee and 64 stuff like the race to the finish areas and the various Polygon/Wire-frame teams were always interesting to me.

It looks like that's from Smash Run since the little ninja dude is taking your power-ups.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

We need a stage based on quick man's level.

A reverse-scrolling stage based on Flash Man's laser beams.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How come Shiek seems to have completely broken models in half of her screenshots?
Seriously what's wrong (last one is toon link but still)

You should see how smears work in traditional animation

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

greatn posted:

Tetra's Trackers or The Legend of Trains?

I wish they would have just replaced Toon Link with Tetra. Link is such an uninteresting lump surrounded by really-interesting personalities that having two of him is like the last great wasted clone-spot in the series.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sherd Red posted:

Counterpoint:

I dunno man, I saw a pirate lady's brilliant idea to fire an idiot on a catapult, I think that rather cements my point. But I agree, Toon Link as "Link" and Tetra as Tetra is ideal but they gotta have Twilight Link, Zelda and Ocarina Sheik in there so difficult cuts have to be made.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

I like the new ranking system. Instead of telling me how many people are better than me, it'll tell me how many people I'm better than :downs:

hahaha that just made me realize someone in the world will have to be "rank 1" or "rank 0" as in nobody is worse than them

The bottom of the scoreboard will be filled with accounts who played for a week and stopped, thus guaranteeing no one will actively stay on the bottom of the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

JordanKai posted:

There's no way they're bringing the Halberd stage back without bringing Meta Knight back.

Incidentally I'm really mad that they're bringing the Halberd stage back. Kirby is supposed to be cute dang it and yet somehow he ended up with the grimmest stage in Brawl. <:mad:>

There is still a chance for Whispy Woods to come back as a 3DS legacy stage.

• Locked thread