Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I always treated Samus' power suit like a set of training weights meant to be shed at the earliest sign of trouble.

ZSS takes her training very seriously. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You could say this about any character that is, at least in the 'modern era', a Smash Only Character. Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, the Ice Climbers, etc. There's a lot of 'Smash Symbols'. Some of them might end up getting cut.

Ness, Lucas (at least one of them is gone for sure), and ice climbers might be on the block, but I'd be shocked if the Capn' is out. Falcon PAAAUUUNNNCCCHH is Smash.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fourside was the best map for Giants+Mushrooms+Metal Box action :madmax:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I guess Nintendo is under the assumption that people still go to Best Buy and that it's not a not-so-slowly dying retail chain.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Let's split the difference and put both of them in. :colbert: Or alternate skins for an identical moveset a-la Wii Fit Trainer.

Actually just add an assload of skins for everybody and randomize skins when you use random character select.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

Smash 4 helps make sense to call the whole deal a "Smash 4 All" I say.

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing post-Wii Nintendo would do actually.

I always thought it would be Super Smash Bros Universe or something. Looking forward to "Smash U?" becoming a commonly asked question in my circle.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Trash Boat posted:

Would migrating to dedicated servers fix the lag issues that Brawl had, or is it just a means to keep the online service going?

The latter I'd guess. There already isn't much interest in online Brawl, and it seems like most who would have cared are going to be moving on to Smash U (bro).

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

This is what Skylanders does though and they're raking in fistfulls of money so as much as I might hate it, it will not actually be dumb of them as a business strategy.

In this case it might be. It seems really unwise of them to lock content away in a plastic toy when they are counting on the game to drive sales. Skylanders/etc. didn't get popular on a piece of failing hardware, and subverting everyone's expectations with Smash in such a way might just piss people off. Smash has a totally different playerbase than either of the big NFC figurine games.

So yeah, if there's NFC integration I doubt it will gate content the same way they do with Skylanders.

edit: holy poo poo I hope they don't. I got my Wii U on a discount mostly for Smash, and I'm willing to pick up a nice set of new controllers for it too- but I wasn't precisely banking on having to drop $100 on more cheap plastic crap I won't use.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Gonna have to hold off on getting Mario Kart, free game or no, until after they drop the details on these figurines. If they're just for transferring movesets or unlocking characters that you could unlock anyway in game I can deal. I would also be okay with it if they had a full roster in the game, and a few extra characters that are basically physical DLC.

But if it's as extensive as I fear than my WiiU will be sold for whatever I can get for it by mid-summer. There's just not enough coming that I care enough about to justify owning the bloody thing if my surefire "me and my buddies will play this for years" game goes full-skylanders.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

You could just... not get the figurines? There's no way they're going to make it a 'you start with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu and have to buy figurines for everyone else' thing. They've already said the rosters will be the same, so at the very least all the characters in the 3DS version will be in the Wii U version by default.

I won't either way.

Now that I think about it, they have been making efforts to appease the pro-scene. I doubt they'd go so far as to require 15 $10 figurines to get the full roster.

Still worried though, cant wait for E3 if for no other reason than to lay my fears to rest.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

It will probably be something on the level of the AR cards in Kid Icarus. "You're gonna need to buy figurines to unlock fighters!!!" is a paranoid conclusion to jump to.

I really don't think it is. They did after all get the idea from a pair of franchises that do exactly that- and make a killing doing it.

I don't know. We'll see.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Isn't there an NFC reader for the 3DS on the way?

Edit: :ohdear:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 22, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol the kneejerk reactions to this are amazing, you don't even know what the gently caress the NFC is going to be used for. what's even more amazing is that if the figurine rumor is true, it would sell big time for Nintendo, which I thought would be a good thing considering how often people love to bitch about how bad the company is at business? Nothing sells more than tons of plastic collectible things, as Skylanders/Infinity showed us

I'd hardly call it a kneejerk reaction when the only current use for NFC in gaming is the way it's done with Skylanders/Infinity. They probably won't go that route because the figures are supposed to tie into a lot of Nintendo games in the future, not just Smash. It's still up in the air until E3 though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The DLC for Fire Emblem was much better than I could have hoped for, there were even a couple that were literally there for no other reason than to let you cheat. :devil:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh hey, I thought Chrom was in for sure. Ike's great too. No Awakening representation so far- weird, since it's not only the most recent, but the most popular game in the series.

edit: I seem to remember a few leak lists that still technically got away with Greninja because "Gen V Pokemon". Pretty sure they all had Chrom, and no Ike. :haw:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 23, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder how much of the roster they're going to be showing off at the invitational at e3. I doubt it's going to be the full build, but I'm hoping to see a couple newcomers at least.

edit: I'd still bet on Lucas OR Ness and Falco OR Wolf (maybe both, honestly). They're clone-y enough that I wouldn't be surprised if they got the axe.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 23, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Why would Chrom not get in the game now? I still think he's the most likely character to get in for FEA. This Ike looks pretty different from Chrom and Marth, I don't think the blue hair is that much of a problem.

The Gemastsu leak only talked about newcomers and not returning characters

Well it did say Chrom didn't it? Same moveset, but he would be a newcomer.

edit: Just checked. Yup.

edit: He's a swordguy lord whose signature move is also aether.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 23, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Tourney or no, I'm sure they aren't just going to be doing only final destination at e3. The invitational is a just an opportunity to show off a playable build of the game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Wild Knight posted:

I actually remember reading speculation of this sort: the reasoning behind certain characters' reveals is so it's not a surprise when they appear in a New Challenger Approaching trailer to hype it up before the actual reveal (e.g., Mario, Luigi, Peach in Rosalina's trailer, Lucario for Greninja/Charizard's trailer). If Chrom or Robin or Lucina are in, their trailer is probably going to have Marth and Ike duking it out in Arena Ferox before the newcomer arrives and blows the both of them up or something.

I totally forgot arena ferox was in. That's probably the best evidence that Fire Emblem is getting a third slot right there- they've had stages before from games that didn't end up getting a character, but I doubt that will be the case here.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's fake, no doubt in my mind. It's style reminds me more of Mass Effect than anything Nintendo.

Edit: Shepard confirmed :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
You know, I think that guy who made the fake countdown thing might have been going for Ridley. He's a demon space pirate, but it's close enough for rock and roll.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
character unlocks confirmed :devil:

edit: I wish he had panned out a little more, I can make out 36 slots, but I can't tell if there's another row.

edit2: oh wait, no- didn't realize both pics are looking at two sides of the screen

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 25, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Am I missing some clone stamp marks or something?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Sonic's name is really, really off-center.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Hahaha, oh man. Is that even what Ridley looks like in any of the games? I never played Prime 3 or Other M.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm holding out for a low-res monochrome Metroid Alpha from the OG gameboy game.

edit: zeta metroid, whatever

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ugh. And here I was hoping that it was just a bad CG from somebody's deviantart account thrown in there to make it completely obvious that it's a troll.

...is it smaller than SM Ridley or Meta Ridley or whatever? Could big bad Ridley conceivably be a Final Smash?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vanrushal posted:

If you're talking about the roster screenshot, then no, Ridley has never looked like that in any Metroid game, thank god.

If however you meant baby furby Ridley, then behold the saving grace of Other M.

Wait what the christ. I WAS talking about the screencap, I thought the furry thing was from like Final Fantasy or something.

What's happening, I'm afraid

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I need to get around to playing that game one of these days, I'm morbidly curious.

edit: I guess if there was somebody official looking standing by and you had to do it discretely than maybe you'd have to do it like that. What's the story behind the Ridley pic even supposed to be? Did they get an even NEWER tourney version that has Ridley this time? :downs:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 26, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

Didn't one of the Sakurai videos talking about that yellow thing on the Mega Man stage say that there will be other stages with "bosses" and show what was very clearly Ridley's shadow?

Yeah, they showed the shadow, but never Ridley himself. Sakurai was loving with everyone who's been asking for him.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Apparently the claim is that after "finishing" tournament mode, Ridley unlocks. It would be sorta neat if they had it set up so the challenger approaching screen appeared at the end of the invitational, but neat != believable.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if then announced A character that way, it would be hype has gently caress.

Won't be Ridley though

^^ edit: Also Zelda is Galadriel lol

edit2: and Link is Zelda, I'm dying

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I bet I know who's in charge of being a stage hazard when Ridley joins the battle.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Somehow I don't think playing a little furry rabbit thing that turns into an iquana is going to be a satisfying way to play Ridley.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
One of those is only about half an hour drive from where I live, and I'm probably gonna have it off. Guess I might swing by. It was meant to be

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tracula posted:

Maybe although that joke would work better if Kellam was in the game somehow.

You throw the trophy, there's no flash or anything, and then he just appears and spends the rest of the match wandering around in the background, only to come out of nowhere and attack after you've forgotten he's there. :black101:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KracKiwi posted:

So are they only showing/producing wired controllers due to "omg input lag" for pros, or because the adapter doesn't support wavebirds?

It's actually just the chance that another controller can sync accidentally (or on purpose), or just having to deal with batteries. There's a lot more that can go wrong with wireless controls in a tourney setting than wired controllers have to deal with.

Pretty happy about this, I still only have the gamepad and a pro control- if the adapter ends up being reasonably priced then I can just use old gamecube controls instead of running out and getting two more pros- they're better anyway. Hell, I can probably even scrape 4 of them together from my moving boxes alone.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Might be useful if you're dealing with team colors or whatever. Otherwise I can't see myself going "geez, now which one is samus? :confused:"

VVedit: No idea why I didn't think of that :doh:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 30, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Wow, the Miis and Palutena look pretty great, I'm looking forward to seeing what else they drop today. October though, drat. :(

Also the figurines were handled about as well as I could have hoped, I'm really glad they didn't make them mandatory. Hell, I could see myself picking up one or two.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Reiley posted:

Assuming those three "name that trophy" segments from the Smash Direct were actually foreshadowing new fighters, since Pseudo-Palutena was one of them, there should be another Metroid character coming too.

Who on earth could they possibly do besides Ridley? I mean, I know he's TOO BIG, but I can't think of anyone else who even comes close to being as recognizable after him and Samus.

VVedit: That's a mushroom, looks a bit like a Yoshi egg with the way the portrait is blocking it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

Metroid. Come on.

Don't get my hopes up. That would be way too cool.

• Locked thread