Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I love how Waluigi has over 50% in the poll so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sad that King Dedede isn't throwing Waddle Dees anymore. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Excels posted:

What are some stages you would want in the game?
A Tetris-themed level in Red Square with St. Basil's in the back with Korobeiniki set as the song.

They technically don't even have to clear it with The Tetris Company.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Currently, I don't have a 3DS or a WiiU, and getting both systems (and Smash for both) is an eventual goal. If they were going to release both versions simultaneously, I would have just went for getting a WiiU first. But being able to play Smash months earlier on the 3DS is definitely changing my plans. (I was also hoping to wait until Nintendo announces a purple 3DS XL, but it looks like I might have to settle for a different-colored XL.)

Considering I haven't finished at least half the Wii, 360, and PC games I own, Smash Bros. is the only specific nextgen game with abundant details that makes me want a nextgen system. (I'm still waiting for more info on Mirror's Edge 2 and Saints Row 5... but those two games are seriously the only things I find remotely interesting about the PS4/One.) In general, I've gotten much more bored with videogames as a whole and game launches rarely excite me; Smash Bros. is one of the few exceptions.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 11, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want the Saffron City stage from the N64 game to return. I just like the platforms and atmosphere of that map. I don't care if they cut the Pokémon hazard.

Actually I wouldn't mind the N64 Peach's Castle and Hyryle Castle returning too. Also Subcon from Melee, just because I like the unaltered SMB2 music.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember R.O.B. was the big pleasant surprise.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm surprised someone hasn't made a "Super Smash Bros. Character Select Screen Generator" yet.

Edit: WHOOOOOOOOOPS

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 14, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There is no way the character count will escalate to 60, but I can dream. :allears:

This is my compromise list. :suicide:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really don't get the Pac backlash.

He's the Mario/Sonic/MegaMan of Namco. He's their iconic mascot.

Not just that, he's easily one the most famous arcade characters ever. It's a huge chapter in the history of not just games on Nintendo systems but games as a whole. And Pac-Man games are fun. And Namco is making Smash.

But if you consider the "I never understand people who play videogames who aren't me" mentality, maybe the Pac hate makes perfect sense.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I never played Nazo no Murasame Jō, but after hearing this official rendition of Koji Kondo's theme, I'm 100% behind the idea of Takamaru being in Smash.

The Famicom version of the melody is already in Brawl.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I only just learned Sakurai voiced Dedede in Brawl. :aaaaa:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A Doshin stage (or assist tophy) would rule.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope the WiiU version would let you use custom music from the SD card, because I have a few music ideas for stages that chances are won't be in the game.

- "Happy Together"
- A bunch of music from the Pokemon TV series, like the PokeRap.
- Some OC Remixes, particularly "Little Mac's Confession"

Another great thing about the classic N64 commercial... Yoshi is standing upright.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I take it Greninja fulfills both X/Y representation AND having a water starter final form to rival Charizard. That's why I'm also speculating we'll get a final form of a grass starter. It's a way to have "successors" to all three of Trainer's Pokémon.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I doubt they'll be more than 3 characters from Kirby unless if the raw number of playable Smash characters dramatically escalates.

Though, I'm totally behind the idea of Gooey or Prince Fluff being playable. Gooey hasn't been in anything since Dreamland 3, but I like the idea of a legless character that can't walk but can only roll around.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still haven't gotten a 3DS, and I'm planning to get a 3DS XL for Smash. My original plan for years now was "wait for the purple XL", but if that's not happening before Smash gets released, I'm hoping they'll make a "Smash Bros. edition" of the 3DS XL, sort like what they did with Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X/Y.

Sadly, I can see Nintendo being dickish enough to not do that too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In response to "who cares", I think scrutiny of Samus' depictions are expected after Other M. Yoshi's rainbow isn't nearly as interesting or stupid.

Also, pretty much everyday that doesn't have a direct is a slow news day. I guess they're also saving the confirmations of veterans like Ness and Captain Falcon for the direct videos now too.

I just want the game now. I can only speculate so much... and it's still FOUR MONTHS until the 3DS game?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really hate the whole "character slot" argument when it comes to representation and roster choices. I doubt Rosalina directly "took" the slot from Waluigi. Little Mac was long overdue and didn't "steal" his slot from anyone else, yet there are people out there (though not in this thread) who hate that choice for only that reason. Wii Fit Trainer fulfills the "weird" niche that Sakurai always liked doing and probably doesn't factor in whether or not Mewtwo makes the cut.

I'll admit that my mind has drifted towards "What newcomers would make for an awesome CG trailer?" even though that's even more arbitrary. (Takamaru? With samurai and that catchy theme, yes. Yet another Ike/Roy replacement? Wouldn't excite me, but maybe FE fans.) But you can probably make a nice trailer from anyone. I just like imagining how cool the newcomer videos will look, because that's usually the highlight of whatever SSB news we get.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think he also said that he wanted to throw a lot of assist trophies into the game because it also relates to a single player mode. Not sure how.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Good to see tethering back. Maybe they've all been reshuffled with grab to make it more consistent?

I liked Olimar's special up in Brawl, and I was a bit disappointed to see it reworked. I hope that the Pikmin chain is still at least his midair "grab" recovery.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
HOLY poo poo. First reason to go to Best Buy in a long time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember when Nintendo was launching the GameCube, and I had to travel to NYC for the "Cube Club" to get the chance to play Melee before the console's release. It was funny; controls weren't finalized and the "L" button was still for taunting in that early version.

Though it sucks that I get the feeling that we'll have no major Smash announcements until E3. :negative:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If we're talking about VAs now, I wonder what's the chance they're keeping Snake under wraps because he's now voiced by Kiefer Sutherland. That's right. I'm hoping we get JACK BAUER in Smash.

Also, they'll probably get Rachael Lillis back for the English language version of Jigglypuff. I'm thinking if there's a slim chance Sami from Advance Wars makes it into the game in some capacity, they should get her to voice her too; because I pretty much imagine Andy/Sami/Max in Advance Wars sounding like Ash/Misty/Brock. Make it official.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But without Kirby, we wouldn't have Kirby dancing with Prince Fluff after they complete level together. :3:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wasn't familiar with Dillon or Wonder Red, but judging by character designs, Dillon sounded like the one that'd be more interesting to play as. (Wonder Red is just so... Not Viewtiful Joe) I'm not a big fan of cowboys or westerns, but Dillon made me realize that the wild west genre hasn't really been strongly represented that much in Smash or Nintendo's first parties in general, compared to cartoonish platforms or space sci-fi or action/stealth or medieval fantasy or racing.

But I'm already more interested in both Dillon and Wonder Red just seeing them as trophies. I just might check out both games after all.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My favorite special mode is Coin Battle, max items but only crates and super mushrooms, and fast speed with 8 Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think the lack of a title is exactly what they're going for.

The title lacks baggage, hints at a clean slate for newbs; and makes the game feel like it's the "definitive" Smash for now. Weird titles make the game sound like it's a strange spinoff like "Smash Bros. Turbo" or "Smash Bros. Redemption" or some other stupid poo poo like that. The lack of a number is also sort of makes it sound like it's back to basics. You don't need to play Melee or Brawl to have fun with this.

It's not like the hardcore players are going to not buy it. I think they're counting on a huge fraction of 3DS owners buying it. I know plenty of 3DS owners who had no strong interest in the series, but just might get it because they played every other DS game with their friends, like Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 13, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Last time something was called "Smash", it was cancelled after two seasons.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So to recap alternate costumes:
1. Male/Female Wii Fit Trainers
2. Wireframe Mac
3. At least four different Villagers
Wario's two costumes are likely to carry over too.

While it's far from a strong statement of commitment, it does look like they're in for including a lot more alt. costumes. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get Skyward Sword Zelda and Dr. Mario, since Skyloft is a stage and pills are a natural way to have a customized Mario moveset. But of course, I'm just speculating out of my rear end.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Zelda and Link both getting alternate models would be neat, though. Samus has a couple different suits she could get too, that wouldn't change anything. I could see Doctor Mario/Luigi being in too, just without a change to projectile.
But projectiles could be changed with custom movesets as seen in the Direct video. I can imagine an optional pill replacement to compliment a hypothetical Dr. Mario costume.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is one of those little, nit-picky issues that I wanted Smash to eventually deal with, but wasn't sure if they'd ever bother doing so.

I guess I'm happy, though I'll have to see it work more closely.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I fight for my friends.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Poor Ninten will never be in Smash. :smith:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't care that they already confirmed one water Pokémon. Make Oshawott playable. :colbert:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

forbidden lesbian posted:

90's internet kicked so much rear end and I'm sad it will never return :(
Kirby ATE MY BALLS.

But seriously that website screams "FAN-MADE".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Insert picture/gif of Senator Vreenak.

And someone quotes it and says "Senator Vreenak confirmed."

Followed by "Senator Vreenak is too big."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I understand the Reggie hype, but we also need the Cammie Dunaway comedy option.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I work in the evenings weekdays at 5 PM. :(

Why can't this start earlier?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really want someone to cover me for work, but I can't justify it for the chance to play the game for like ten minutes.

It's the Best Buy nearest me. Lucky in location, not lucky in time of the day.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I'm camping at Best Buy that Saturday morning.

• Locked thread